My son's last name is different

gamommyof3

Do you have sole physical custody? If so, I would bring proof of that. If not, I would get permission (notarized) from his father allowing you to take your son out of the country.

The name is not an issue, just be sure your reservation reflects his legal name as shown on his birth certificate or passport.

Thanks for the responses so far. I haven't spoken to his father in 10 years - the father is supposed to see my son every other week, but hasn't for at least 10 years. We leave Friday to drive to Miami and I just realized that this could possibly be an issue. I would be devastated.

When DW took DD on cruise a few years ago, DD was 3 or 4 at the time, I don't reacll... DW kept her last name when we got married and DD has my last name. We did set up the paperwork but it was never requested by cruise line.

Since your son is older and can presumably speak for self and is part of your larger family not alone with just you that should help your cause...in fact if you don't bring it up there is a good possibility that when you pass in the set sail passes and passports it will never come up as an issue. However, if you have custody documents they should be in the travel package you take with you just in case.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Thanks for the responses so far. I haven't spoken to his father in 10 years - the father is supposed to see my son every other week, but hasn't for at least 10 years. We leave Friday to drive to Miami and I just realized that this could possibly be an issue. I would be devastated.

Is his reservation in the HIS name or yours, if it is in yours call NOW and have it changed. Bring whatever papers you have, for custody etc. Better to have too much than not enough

Thank you all for responding, this is freaking me out a little. I'll be sure to bring my divorce papers.

I had initially made his reservation with our last name, then realized that his passport has his last name, so I did call and make that change. We would have really been in a mess then! :-)

Thank you all for responding, this is freaking me out a little. I'll be sure to bring my divorce papers.

I had initially made his reservation with our last name, then realized that his passport has his last name, so I did call and make that change. We would have really been in a mess then! :-)

whew!! one less worry,just bring your paperwork and as others have said they probably won't even ask for it but better to be prepared. Have a great cruise!!

I have been married for nearly 20 years and have always used my own name - which is also on my passport. My husband's name is in Irish on his passport, and our 4 children have his surname, but in English (and therefore a totally different name).

The cruise reservation is always in my name.

Despite these differences, we have never been stopped or questioned.

That said - any paperwork you have that could save potential hassle is well worth bringing.

Have a FABULOUS cruise!

We had a similar concern the first time we took my stepdaughter a few years back. Our name situation was even a little more challenging. DW uses here maiden name, stepdaughter her father's last name, and of course, I use my own. We've never been questioned at check-in, but have always been prepared with divorce/custody papers just in case.

Enjoy your cruise.

I've cruised with my niece who is a minor and I was never asked any questions. I had a notorized letter from her mom allowing her to travel with me, but they never asked for it.

I have always taken a notarized letter, no one ever asked. BUT as I was boarding the Monarch last month, a lady next to me was having an absolute meltdown, and was screaming "NO one told me I needed a letter!!" This was a 4pm so she was trying to get something faxed to the terminal. I never did notice if she was able to board with her child, a young boy. I have taken 7 cruises with my son, and no one has ever said a word. I carry the BC and the passport and a letter.

good luck! pam

from the rest of my family. I am divorced and my son has a different last name from his siblings and my husband and I. Will this be a problem? He doesn't see his biological father at all....will I have to PROVE he's my son?

Thanks!

Take his birth certificate to prove you are his mother - if your name has changed since the birth certificate take whatever documentation you have to show the trail of your name changes. You probably won't need it but better to be safe and get on board rather than be refused permission to board!

I have three children, they all have the same surname, but not the same surname as me. I have traveled extensively with them, and never had a problem and never been asked to prove they are my children, a few times they have been asked who I was, and they simply replied that I was their mum.

There are a few countries where there are slightly different pratices and there may be an issue, but the travel compnaies know about this and will warn you. If you are going to the Dominican replublic they ask for proof that you hhave permision to take them on holiday or that you have custody. But, they are very very unusal.

I really do not think you have anything to worry about at all. To put your mind at rest call RCL cusotmer service line, not the booking line, and they should be able to out your mind at rest.

The only problem we have ever had with different last names is if the cruise line set's up your air you might end up sitting apart on the plane. The reason is the airlines sometimes doesn't know who's traveling together by name

John

We have never had any problem with my step-son's last name being different, just used his birth certificate, the only time anyone even asked was the last time we disembarked Mariner in Port Canaveral, the immigration officer asked him who the people were he was traveling with, and he told them.

Sister and I took my great niece with us on a cruise in the spring and it was not a problem - none of us had the same last name either. After running around getting notarized letters from both parents - no one asked for them.

Like the others said, it shouldn't be a problem. My DD's last name is different than mine. My maiden name is on her b.c., but I am remarried (I have had 3 last names). I brought all possible documentation to show the trail of name changes. Social Security card, marriage license, my birth certificate, her birth certificate. I have never been asked for anything, though.

Don't worry about it. Just bring documentation and have a great cruise!

Archived