Pirate Parade Rant in a Cruise Mag

crusinmama06

I really wouldn't want to hear that during dinner or expose younger children to it ( ie mine!). Another poster referenced some other gross things they were saying. Maybe it's the language that people are unhappy about and not the Parade?

I'd have to blame the counselors for teaching them the songs.

Maybe if they cleaned it up it would keep all happy.

What is bad about that chant?

What is bad about that chant?

Let's see - maybe the stuff about the captains's dog peeing? I have a 4 year old - sorry I really don't want her to repeat it. I also don't want my child exposed to talk about boogers and throwing up during a family vacation. I really don't want to hear it when I'm eating dinner. Maybe you think it's appropriate for a child or in the dining room - I don't think it's particularly appropriate for either.

The dining room is not the venue for that type of language. I do have to admit that I have not heard it on any of my 17 cruises. The Pirates parade (or any other child's parade) on those cruises has always been a fun activity without the disgusting references.

As I said before, the counselors are to blame. Sorry you didn't see the impropriety of the language in the dining room - maybe you missed it?

Have a good evening

This was the absolute best for my children. Darn thing about it I walked all over the ship trying to find the pirate parade. I missed it! Too bad we can't eliminate some of the crabby people on the ship, maybe we should write that to the editor!!!!!

Misand:)

Let's see - maybe the stuff about the captains's dog peeing? I have a 4 year old - sorry I really don't want her to repeat it. I also don't want my child exposed to talk about boogers and throwing up during a family vacation. I really don't want to hear it when I'm eating dinner. Maybe you think it's appropriate for a child or in the dining room - I don't think it's particularly appropriate for either.

The dining room is not the venue for that type of language. I do have to admit that I have not heard it on any of my 17 cruises. The Pirates parade (or any other child's parade) on those cruises has always been a fun activity without the disgusting references.

As I said before, the counselors are to blame. Sorry you didn't see the impropriety of the language in the dining room - maybe you missed it?

Have a good evening

WE were on Grandeur of the Seas in March no reference to the above. Nothing out of line. My kids still chant it in the back of the car. In fact it is one of the things I encourage them to do when they are on a long drive. I sure hope NCL does a Pirate Parade. My kids will be so upset if they don't!

Misand:p

We were on the Spledour in November -- no gross references in the song.

It was our first RCCI cruise where DD was too old for AO, but saw our dining mates (5 and 7YO girls). The next night my DH abosolutely made their day by telling them that we were SO scared the night before because we had been attacked by pirates! The older girl said "no, no that was just US!" and the two girls were gossiping and giggling about it all through dinner.

The pirate parades are a highlight of every kid's cruise. Any pax who cannot tolerate the couple minutes of disturbance is an "old fart" (although DH is older than many of those "old farts"! -- I suppose "old" is just a state of mind!). I'd rather have my evening "disturbed" by a few minutes of happy children, than feel banashed from a public area by the very loud and irrating art auctions blasting through the centrum area -- but that's just my opinion, I'm not going to write a letter to the editor or expect RCCI to stop the auctions.

I hope I can put the gentleman's letter in a different perspective.

Do I think children should be on cruise ships? Absolutely, my DD went on her first cruise with us when she was 18 months old and still cruises with us at 24. I think a family cruise vacation is a great family memory.

That being said, when she was a child, I made sure she never indulged in behavior that I knew would annoy me if it was someone else's child doing it.

Do I like the Pirate Parade on RCI? No, and I usually include the comment on my card that it should be stopped.

I eat early, so I usually have the displeasure of having a bunch of children screaming at me while I am enjoying adult conversation before the show. I would be even unhappier if the disruption occurred in the dining room.

In short, watching the Pirate Parade and its obnoxious chant is the duty of parents, other family members, and paid staff.

The rest of us have done our duty; let us enjoy the fact that we are no longer on active parent duty.

Do I like the Pirate Parade on RCI? No, and I usually include the comment on my card that it should be stopped.

I eat early, so I usually have the displeasure of having a bunch of children screaming at me while I am enjoying adult conversation before the show. I would be even unhappier if the disruption occurred in the dining room.

But if you "eat early" then you wouldn't see the pirate parade since it is late seating only, correct? Yet you complain about it on your comment card?

I don't think doing a performance with the kids club should be considered "indulging in a behavior that would annoy others"

And being in many cruise dining rooms, I have never had ANY children screaming at me. Maybe I have just been lucky?

I was the one who said they talked about boogers and throwing up. They did on the Enchantment. Now that it was mentioned by the other poster there may have been a reference to the dog peeing too. That sounds vaguely familiar now. However, we saw the parade in the theatre and by the shops. I don't know if they said the same chant in the dining room.

For early sitting guests, they parade the kids into the showroom before the show. In each case, it is a parade of yelling kids being egged on by a counselor using a bullhorn!!!!! They are led up to the stage, where the answers include barfing, whining, boogers, a whole range of "charming" answers.

I had no idea the same performance was inflicted on people at the late sitting in the dining room.

And yes, participating in a children's parade is "indulging in behavior which would annoy others" when the audience is not there voluntarily but has the performance forced upon them.

I'm sure you would be unhappy if a comedian with adult material was brought into the children's area and did the routine for them.

For early sitting guests, they parade the kids into the showroom before the show. In each case, it is a parade of yelling kids being egged on by a counselor using a bullhorn!!!!! They are led up to the stage, where the answers include barfing, whining, boogers, a whole range of "charming" answers.

Ohhhh now I understand. On the newer ships they only do this performance in the Promenade (not the shows) and then on the steps at the late seating dining.

Honestly you are entitled to your opinion. I am not going to fault you for that. ;)

I honestly have to laugh at people that think this fun 5-10min parade for kids on a cruise is bothersome enough that they actually complain about it. It isn't like they come swooping in, start eating and throwing food and stick around for your entire meal. It is a 5 min chant for goodness sake. If you are so bothered by it, do not cruise on a ship that appeals to families and kids. Simple as that.

My parents went on a RCCL by themselves in 2005 and commented on this cute pirate parade the kids do. They loved it. Then our daughter was in one last year on the Navigator of the Seas and it was the highlight of her trip and one of the things she is looking forward to the most. The chant was hilarious and the whole promenade was laughing and clapping. We were by the pub area with many folks who did not have kids aboard and they were all cheering. One man (60ish) started pretend sword fighting with some of the "pirates" and everyone was hysterical. Maybe there was a few people annoyed their "adult only conversation" was interupted for all of 5-10min but the heck with them - it was fun! :D

Oh by the way to the original OP, I am so glad you posted this. We are going to do late seating while the kids are in the Kids Club and are so happy to hear they will be coming in and doing the parade while we eat. I am looking forward to it. I can't wait to hear your response in the magazine! Obviously RCCL has done this for years and continues to do so, leaving me to think a few bad apples won't spoil the fun in the future. I will make sure to leave on my comment card, how much I LOVE the pirate parade!!

I am looking forward to it. I can't wait to hear your response in the magazine! Obviously RCCL has done this for years and continues to do so, leaving me to think a few bad apples won't spoil the fun in the future. I will make sure to leave on my comment card, how much I LOVE the pirate parade!!

The response was in this months' Cruise Travel Magazine. Which is how this thread got a rebirth. ;)

Here are the updated threads...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=685042

And the response from the RCCL board to the letter

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=684433

Where do you buy this magazine?

Second, some people need to get a life. Even before I had kids I would much rather hear a silly chant by children instead of some boring adult conversation of say politics. Sorry not big into politics. Just my opinion.

Misand

Archived