Minerva (Explorer II) & Abercrombie & Kent

Jade13

Has anyone heard anything at all negative about A&K? They are the North America Representative for the Minerva (Explorer II is being renamed in 2008). It was the Minerva previously.

The dates that I am looking at are with A&K (not offered through Regent). The only "negative" is that A&K has an immediate $500.00pp cancelation fee whereas Regent (I think) is a full refund until 90 or 100 days.

I did compare prices going through Regent (same amount of nights) and A&K was less money (A&K shows air & port fee separately, so I subtracted from Regents price to do the comparison). Perhaps the prices are closer for those who are past Regent Guests?

Has anyone ever traveled with A&K?

I haven't travelled yet, but I am going on the Explorer II in three weeks and I booked through A & K in Australia. They certainly seemed to be professional and very helpful.

I haven't heard anything negative about them.

I haven't travelled yet, but I am going on the Explorer II in three weeks and I booked through A & K in Australia. They certainly seemed to be professional and very helpful.

I haven't heard anything negative about them.

Thanks and please post a review. Are you flying through Santiago or BA? They use chartered air if you book air through them correct (I mean for the incountry which would be from BA to USH)? They have little information on what they have as added extras for 2009 (besides one night hotel - it does not look like any meals except breakfast until you get on the ship).

Also, do you know if the ship provides boots or do you need to bring your own? I have read conflicting information. Someone at A&K said they did have ones to loan, but I thought I read they did not.

Jade

I'm flying from Australia to Santiago and then going to Rio, Iguassu and BsAs and flying back to Santiago to meet my cruise companions a week later. There is one night's accomodation included in my cruise cost but I'll be ariving a day earlier and have some sightseeing I want to do so I might not catch up with the others until we're about to leave.

Basically, the cruise itinerary is for an arrival in Santiago on 9/12, with accomodation at the Hyatt and either a lunch or a cocktail party to meet the others (I have had two conflicting reports about which one) and then a group transfer the next morning to the airpoirt for the charter flight to Ushuaia. My understanding is that the flight and "get-together" are included but I don't know about meals. I assume breakfast on 10/12 is, as we're staying in the "Club" rooms which seem to have one of those complimentary breakfast areas attached. I could be wrong though.

I'll be arriving in Santiago on 8/12 and am planning to spend the next day doing a day trip to Valparaiso so I might miss the welcoming festivities and will have to catch up with the others the next morning.

And yes - they do supply boots, but some people have said that if you have problems getting boots to fit you should bring your own. I have problems with my feet, but there is no way I can fit another pair of boots into my luggage so I'll be relying on theirs.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. Although I haven't travelled yet, I've done quite a bit of research so hopefully I can help you save some time going over the same info I've done.

Jade

I'm flying from Australia to Santiago and then going to Rio, Iguassu and BsAs and flying back to Santiago to meet my cruise companions a week later. There is one night's accomodation included in my cruise cost but I'll be ariving a day earlier and have some sightseeing I want to do so I might not catch up with the others until we're about to leave.

Basically, the cruise itinerary is for an arrival in Santiago on 9/12, with accomodation at the Hyatt and either a lunch or a cocktail party to meet the others (I have had two conflicting reports about which one) and then a group transfer the next morning to the airpoirt for the charter flight to Ushuaia. My understanding is that the flight and "get-together" are included but I don't know about meals. I assume breakfast on 10/12 is, as we're staying in the "Club" rooms which seem to have one of those complimentary breakfast areas attached. I could be wrong though.

I'll be arriving in Santiago on 8/12 and am planning to spend the next day doing a day trip to Valparaiso so I might miss the welcoming festivities and will have to catch up with the others the next morning.

And yes - they do supply boots, but some people have said that if you have problems getting boots to fit you should bring your own. I have problems with my feet, but there is no way I can fit another pair of boots into my luggage so I'll be relying on theirs.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. Although I haven't travelled yet, I've done quite a bit of research so hopefully I can help you save some time going over the same info I've done.

Thank you for the info. I guessed maybe they have boots but they might not fit (My Dh has small feet). If we do this trip my Dh doesn't want to spend a lot of money on anything we will never wear again. I would be interested if they give you a pair to use throughout the cruise or you have to race each day to grab a pair that fit?

In 2009 they are departing through BA (not Chile) which is fine by me because we can plan another trip in the future to Chile (I heard the Lake District is beautiful) and Easter Island..

I wonder if they put everyone in the Club rooms or just based on class of cabin (I heard that's how they decide who sits where on the chartered plane), but it would make sense to use a hotel (or floor) that includes breakfast.

Jade13-You will use the same pair of boots throughout the cruise. They will be kept in a boot locker. You will not take them back to your room for sanitary reasons, although they will be cleaned by the crew. You will be walking through muck & penguin poop on many of your landings. Which is a reason many people leave their own boots behind on the ship (if you have brought your own) rather than try to pack them into their suitcases. This also one way the ship's supply of boots grows.

Jade13-You will use the same pair of boots throughout the cruise. They will be kept in a boot locker. You will not take them back to your room for sanitary reasons, although they will be cleaned by the crew. You will be walking through muck & penguin poop on many of your landings. Which is a reason many people leave their own boots behind on the ship (if you have brought your own) rather than try to pack them into their suitcases. This also one way the ship's supply of boots grows.

Thanks!

Jade

Cirque,

We just booked so I am looking forward to a review, if you care to post one when you return.

Btw, I have the 2007-2008 North American brochure and it mentions an optional afternoon city tour in Santiago on day of arrival (is that included in the price?) and a welcome cocktail reception (You would think for the cost they would include dinner). On Day 3 upon arrival in Ushuaia it mentions a traditional Patagonian barbecue lunch before return to your ship.

On the disembark day it states "Head out to explore Tiera del Fuego's spectacular wilderness before transfering to the airport to board your flight home."

So, it sounds like cocktail reception on arrival day "2" and Lunch on day "3" before boarding. Maybe that is why you are getting the conflicting information?

Let me know what ends up being included?

I sailed on the Explorer 2 last year!

You do keep your boots for the duration of the trip, but the Explorer 2 does not have lockers! You will be taking your boots to your cabin, so make sure you scrub them clean before you take them off and carry them to your cabin.

They have a limited supply of boots, so if you want boots, make sure you write them in advance with the request. Ask for boots that are larger than your normal shoes, so you can fit in extra socks and a chemical warmer.

Make sure you read the excellent post by h2so4 about their trip to Antarctica, You will find many useful hints there.

I sailed on Explorer II last January. You have an amazing trip to look forward to!

As for the boots, the staff did an great job fitting all different sizes. I have very heavy calves and was worried. It took several tries, but finally managed, with the help of a crew member's knife, to get boots that fit. I wasn't the only one having problems, but they were very patient. I can't even imagine trying to fit boots into the luggage equation.

With A&K, you could actually stay 2 nights at the Hyatt. They say 1 night, but you can check in as soon as you arrive, which might be early in the day. In order to do that, A&K actually pays for 2 nights. We went 4 days early, spent 2 nights in a much less expensive hotel, then moved to the Hyatt.

Breakfast was included each day, as was a city sightseeing tour. I think the only logic to seating on the charter flight has to do with when you booked your trip, not your cabin. We booked very early, in the least expensive cabin on the ship and were in row 1 in both directions. The lunch before boarding the ship was great and included entertainment. There was also a small area in which you could buy things. I have my Ushuaia mousepad sitting right here! :D

I can't say enough good things about A&K. Their representatives are wonderful! I could go into more detail about what they do that's different from most, but I wouldn't want to spoil your 'surprises'... pleasant ones, to be sure.

Have a great time! Wish I was going back, in spite of the sinking of the Explorer today.

Hi Sandra!

There are actually several ships that have "Explorer" in their name including Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas.

The MV Explorer that sank yesterday is not the ship that I was on, Explorer II. But imagine my shock when I awoke yesterday, turned on the news and heard that the Explorer was sinking. Of course, I immediately thought it was 'my' ship, but as soon as I saw the pictures, I knew it wasn't the same one.

I'm amazed that there weren't more severe cases of hypothermia. The coldest part of my trip was spent in the zodiacs, and the most time we spent there was an hour or so if we were doing a 'zodiac tour.' To be bouncing around for 4-5 hrs in rough seas is mind boggling. Fortunately the passengers and crew had time to don all their cold weather gear and everyone is safe.

My husband and I are thinking of booking on Explorer II for 2009. There has been much discussion on the Regent board of whether the least expensive cabins have mini-frigs or not. I noticed that you have actually stayed in these cabins, Linda, so what is the true answer??

Also, do you see any point in booking other than the least expensive cabin. Usually on trips of these kinds, the only time we are in the cabin is to dress and sleep. I actually like being lower in the ship (less motion generally).

Hi Sandra!

There are actually several ships that have "Explorer" in their name including Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas.

The MV Explorer that sank yesterday is not the ship that I was on, Explorer II. But imagine my shock when I awoke yesterday, turned on the news and heard that the Explorer was sinking. Of course, I immediately thought it was 'my' ship, but as soon as I saw the pictures, I knew it wasn't the same one.

I'm amazed that there weren't more severe cases of hypothermia. The coldest part of my trip was spent in the zodiacs, and the most time we spent there was an hour or so if we were doing a 'zodiac tour.' To be bouncing around for 4-5 hrs in rough seas is mind boggling. Fortunately the passengers and crew had time to don all their cold weather gear and everyone is safe.

I had the same thought when I saw the ticker tape running below both Fox News and CNN yesterday. I was out for Thanksgiving and did not have access to a computer. Then I heard it was a Canadian Ship and knew it was not the Explorer II. I am glad Swan Hellinic/Discovery is changing the name back to Minerva.

Did you do two landings per day? Because of time contraints we are not going to either the Falklands or South Georgia. I am sorry the itinerary we will be on will not stop at the Falklands but I suppose it gives an excuse to go back on an "around the horn" type cruise on HAL or Princess. The other positive is that we are scheduled to be 5 days in the Shetlands and Antarctic Pennisula. We will be going through Buenos Aires and the itinerary has us at the Intercontinental hotel which I stayed at years ago in Switzerland. I believe when I looked on line rooms started at about $157.00 or so which is cheap compared to Rome.

I sailed on the Explorer 2 last year!

You do keep your boots for the duration of the trip, but the Explorer 2 does not have lockers! You will be taking your boots to your cabin, so make sure you scrub them clean before you take them off and carry them to your cabin.

They have a limited supply of boots, so if you want boots, make sure you write them in advance with the request. Ask for boots that are larger than your normal shoes, so you can fit in extra socks and a chemical warmer.

Make sure you read the excellent post by h2so4 about their trip to Antarctica, You will find many useful hints there.

Tia, Thank you for posting. I am sure I will have questions over the next year. I have never booked anything so far in advance but I know our date may sell out.

My husband and I are thinking of booking on Explorer II for 2009. There has been much discussion on the Regent board of whether the least expensive cabins have mini-frigs or not. I noticed that you have actually stayed in these cabins, Linda, so what is the true answer??

Also, do you see any point in booking other than the least expensive cabin. Usually on trips of these kinds, the only time we are in the cabin is to dress and sleep. I actually like being lower in the ship (less motion generally).

We decided to go for the least expensive because the next one up (window vs porthole) was about an additional $2K for the same amount of space.

Btw, we took the most expensive Master Suite in the Galapagos (Santa Cruz) and we were never in that cabin and never used our balcony.

I was hoping to book the Minerva (Explorer II will be named Minerva again next spring) through Regent but A&K has the February dates we wanted (Regent has January 2009). I also did a cost comparison and A&K seemed less, but that may be because A&K has $500.00pp off for booking by (I think) March 31. Perhaps if you are a past Regent guest the prices are the same?

I was also wondering how Regent can advertise unlimited drinks in the cabin if certain cabins do not have a frig? If I was looking at a Regent date I would definately e-mail Regent for an answer (and let us know)?

Hi Rachel and Jade!

As far as I know, none of the cabins have mini fridges. My travel companion takes insulin and she specifically asked if a fridge could be put in the cabin (where it would fit, I don't know!). She had to keep her insulin in the medical center and get it every 3 or 4 days.

We couldn't justify the cost of upgrading to a larger room. I think it would have cost us each about $5000 more! That's a lot of money for 20 extra square feet! The cabin is well designed, but we used every bit of space we had, including under the desk and hanging the life vests on the port holes! BTW, there's 2 port holes in the cheap cabins so you each get to use one if you want to. We didn't spend a lot of time in the cabins. There's 2 nice lounges, library, and the Veranda Restaurant to socialize in. If you do decide on the least expensive cabin book one on the starboard side. Port side is where you line up to get off the ship for the zodiacs, and we often remarked that we woudn't want to be on that side!

We did do 2 zodiac landings or tours a day, except for the sea days. Everything is weather dependent, but they do their best to work things out if one plan doesn't work. It's too bad that you can't do the longer trip. I could miss the Falklands, but So. Georgia Island was wonderful! That was where we saw the most wildlife, including hundreds of thousands of King Penguins. My avatar was taken at Gold Harbor in So. Georgia when we did a 4am landing to watch the sunrise. Spectacular!

Jade,there are unlimited drinks, but not in the cabin unless you carry them there yourself.

I think I've answered your questions. If you have any others ask here or email me privately at lindaf47 at comcast dot net. Just put Antarctica in the subject line so I don't automatically delete it.

Thanks for the info--I agree we probably won't be in the cabin much. We went on a Lindblad ship to Costa Rica--only time we were in the cabin was to sleep. This May we are going to the Galapagos with Celebrity--we booked least expensive cabin because I anticipate the same thing. The mini fridge would be nice but certainly not $2000 or more worth of nice.

Hello Jade, Linda

The cabins on the Explorer 2 don't have frigobar, maybe the suites do, but the average cabin is even too small to fit a Frigobar...

The cabins are small, but well designed, with a small desk and a sofa, but you probably won't be spending too much in the cabin.

The nice thing about sailing this ship to Antarctica is that although it was designed for 400 passengers, it sails in Antarctic with half that - so there are plenty of public rooms to loung. I specially loved the Library (the Minerva boasted the largest floating library!!!) Besides the reference books usually found on expedion ships, I found books about kniting, the Queen's Doll House and to my delight, many books about Jeeves the Buttler, that I had always wanted to read but never got around to... I didn't touch the books I brought from home to read on board!

The other think I enjoyed was the promenade, that goes all around the ship, and it was nice to walk around the deck.

Hello Jade, Linda

The cabins on the Explorer 2 don't have frigobar, maybe the suites do, but the average cabin is even too small to fit a Frigobar...

The cabins are small, but well designed, with a small desk and a sofa, but you probably won't be spending too much in the cabin.

The nice thing about sailing this ship to Antarctica is that although it was designed for 400 passengers, it sails in Antarctic with half that - so there are plenty of public rooms to loung. I specially loved the Library (the Minerva boasted the largest floating library!!!) Besides the reference books usually found on expedion ships, I found books about kniting, the Queen's Doll House and to my delight, many books about Jeeves the Buttler, that I had always wanted to read but never got around to... I didn't touch the books I brought from home to read on board!

The other think I enjoyed was the promenade, that goes all around the ship, and it was nice to walk around the deck.

Did you see anything wrong with the port side? I think that is what we have as it as the last SA/Cat 8. If this is where everyone lines up to disembark doesn't that mean this side of the ship is facing land?

What are the largest type of Penguins you are likely to see on the Pennisula? I understand you would have to be on a ship with a helicopter in order to fly out to see the Emperor Penguins?

Hi Rachel and Jade!

I could miss the Falklands, but So. Georgia Island was wonderful! That was where we saw the most wildlife, including hundreds of thousands of King Penguins. My avatar was taken at Gold Harbor in So. Georgia when we did a 4am landing to watch the sunrise. Spectacular!

Jade,there are unlimited drinks, but not in the cabin unless you carry them there yourself.

I think I've answered your questions. If you have any others ask here or email me privately at lindaf47 at comcast dot net. Just put Antarctica in the subject line so I don't automatically delete it.

The photo is great! We are still working and could not take off the 3 weeks needed for the longer trip. I think the itinerary we are doing has 5 days on the Pennisula vs 3, so I'm not clear what we might see vs less time actually in Antarctica.

Did you see anything wrong with the port side? I think that is what we have as it as the last SA/Cat 8. If this is where everyone lines up to disembark doesn't that mean this side of the ship is facing land?

The sidegate to load the zodiacs is on the starboard side of the lower deck. The cruise director calls for the landing about 15 minutes before, so people have time to bundle up. The line forms in front of the sidegate, and it naturally "invades" the portside corridor. I imagine that the cabins closest to the rear could be inconvenienced by people standing on the corridor, during 20 minutes, four times daily, just prior to disembarkation. Unless conditions at the sidegate are difficult, making the disembarkation slower, as soon as they start loading boats, the line disappears quite rapidly.

As the ship is at anchor at all times, which side of the ship faces land actually depends on which way the wind is blowing :p. The ship can swing 360 around the anchor chain, and frequently it swings around during one landing, as the wind or tide changes.

What are the largest type of Penguins you are likely to see on the Pennisula? I understand you would have to be on a ship with a helicopter in order to fly out to see the Emperor Penguins?

There is a very remote, almost non-existent, but real chance of spotting an Emperor Penguin on an ice floe. The Emperor Penguin trips take place very early on the season, before the fast ice breaks - E. penguins nest over the frozen ocean, on ice breakers - that's the only way of getting at least close enough to operate the helicopters. Then helicopters land people two miles away from the colony - so the choppers don't disturb the birds, and people have to hike to the colony... ...and I would LOVE to do one of these trips one day...

If your trip doesn't include South Georgia (which I strongly recommend), then you will see Adelies, Gentoos and Chinstraps. If you are very luck you might see Macaronies. All these penguins are about the same size, I think Gentoos are slightly larger - but they will still entertain you for hours on end, and make you spend all your film, fill out all your memory cards and exaust the batteries of all your cameras with their unbelieable cuteness!

I agree with everything Tia Serena said. I couldn't say it any better, so I won't even try! If you are in the most forward cabin, I wouldn't think you'd be inconvenienced at all. And an advantage to that is you can just stick you head out your door to see when people start lining up. They don't always wait for the announcement!

There is a very remote, almost non-existent, but real chance of spotting an Emperor Penguin on an ice floe. The Emperor Penguin trips take place very early on the season, before the fast ice breaks - E. penguins nest over the frozen ocean, on ice breakers - that's the only way of getting at least close enough to operate the helicopters. Then helicopters land people two miles away from the colony - so the choppers don't disturb the birds, and people have to hike to the colony... ...and I would LOVE to do one of these trips one day...

!

Someone asked me where the Emperors are in February? Perhaps that is why someone asked me the chance of seeing them on their way back to the colony.

Are the King Penguins only on South Georgia?

Archived