Minerva (Explorer II) & Abercrombie & Kent

Jade13

Someone asked me where the Emperors are in February? Perhaps that is why someone asked me the chance of seeing them on their way back to the colony.

Are the King Penguins only on South Georgia?

During the summer months, since the ice breaks, from December to March or April, Emperors are in the water feeding. They swim far and wide, fishing and fattening up for the next breeding season. Nobody has been able to prove if they can sleep as they swim, as dolphins do, so it is assumed that they must come to the surface and sleep. As I said, Emperors have been seen on the pack ice, but it is certainly a very rare sight. They don't seem to be swimming near the ships routes... Some studies are being made with radio transmitters to try and discover their range.

King Penguins breed in Sub Antarctic islands. The largest colonies are in South Georgia and McQuarie Island (south of Australia). There are smaller colonies on less visited islands. There is a very small and hard to get colony in the Falklands. Most ships don't visit this colony because it's really small, but people staying the Falklands usually take the jeep tour...

• 3 weeks later...

Was on Explorer II in Jan 2005 with Regent. You get boots at the beginning and keep throughout the trip. One of my favorite photos is on your last night before heading back to SA, you put your boots out to be collected and there are rows and rows. Did not have any problems with fit and they seemed to have plenty. They also provided a great parka and backback (everything says Explorer II, not Regent so I think you all get the same regardless of who has it charterred). They also provided waterproof pants upon request, but they are not very heavy duty. Did just fine for the trip, although I tore a pair sliding down the slide of a hill (great fun, and they mark it out for you first for safety). The Chief Housekeeper had a bit of a time finding another pair, but gladly lent me another. They were bright yellow and my daughter kept laughing at me "all red parka'ed and yellow-pants'ed" . . . :)

We were on the lowest deck, no fridge, not sure it would fit. All drinks are included, but there is no mini-bar in your room like on Regent ships. Not a big deal, you don't spend much time there on this cruise as you want to look out the windows all the time and there are a few great areas for this above. Since the ship holds 400 and they only take half that, you always have lots of room. No Emperor Penguins, never made it far enough (and they told us you would have to take a ship from the other side for that). There are plenty of other kinds and as someone else mentioned, watching the fat, furry chicks chase their parents around was a blast. They were shedding while we were there and it looked like someone had rolled little penguins in glue then in fur and only tufts stuck. You never get sick of looking at them, and the smell, well, you just get used to it:) The color's pretty ha, ha

I traveled with A&K on a Peru trip and the service was fantastic, as well as their use of local guides. I have a strong feeling that the Explorer II will be the same regardless of which you go with, there was only one Regent employee on the entire crew (the Cruise Director). All others were with the ship. All our meals in hotels provided by Regent were included, save dinner on our one night in Santiago, and one dinner in BA post-cruise.

Was on Explorer II in Jan 2005 with Regent. You get boots at the beginning and keep throughout the trip. One of my favorite photos is on your last night before heading back to SA, you put your boots out to be collected and there are rows and rows. Did not have any problems with fit and they seemed to have plenty. They also provided a great parka and backback (everything says Explorer II, not Regent so I think you all get the same regardless of who has it charterred). They also provided waterproof pants upon request, but they are not very heavy duty. Did just fine for the trip, although I tore a pair sliding down the slide of a hill (great fun, and they mark it out for you first for safety). The Chief Housekeeper had a bit of a time finding another pair, but gladly lent me another. They were bright yellow and my daughter kept laughing at me "all red parka'ed and yellow-pants'ed" . . . :)

We were on the lowest deck, no fridge, not sure it would fit. All drinks are included, but there is no mini-bar in your room like on Regent ships. Not a big deal, you don't spend much time there on this cruise as you want to look out the windows all the time and there are a few great areas for this above. Since the ship holds 400 and they only take half that, you always have lots of room. No Emperor Penguins, never made it far enough (and they told us you would have to take a ship from the other side for that). There are plenty of other kinds and as someone else mentioned, watching the fat, furry chicks chase their parents around was a blast. They were shedding while we were there and it looked like someone had rolled little penguins in glue then in fur and only tufts stuck. You never get sick of looking at them, and the smell, well, you just get used to it:) The color's pretty ha, ha

I traveled with A&K on a Peru trip and the service was fantastic, as well as their use of local guides. I have a strong feeling that the Explorer II will be the same regardless of which you go with, there was only one Regent employee on the entire crew (the Cruise Director). All others were with the ship. All our meals in hotels provided by Regent were included, save dinner on our one night in Santiago, and one dinner in BA post-cruise.

Thanks for all the info! We will also be on the lowest deck. This will be a change since we were in the Master Suite while in the Galapagos (we were never in the cabin). We are going through BA and I will need to call and find out what time we need to book return flights. I can't figure out if we can fly back to the US on the same day we disembark, which is always ouyr preference since once we get off a ship we want to go right home.

Who did you use for the Galapagos? I'm trying to plan that trip for next year.

I don't see why you can't get home same day, we were off the ship by 10A or earlier, although I remember having to wait a long time at the airport. We were exhausted by this point and I'd wished we'd done Iguazu before instead of after . . . but just glad we went period. Have a wonderful time!

Who did you use for the Galapagos? I'm trying to plan that trip for next year.

I don't see why you can't get home same day, we were off the ship by 10A or earlier, although I remember having to wait a long time at the airport. We were exhausted by this point and I'd wished we'd done Iguazu before instead of after . . . but just glad we went period. Have a wonderful time!

We booked the Santa Cruz, directly through Metropolitan Touring who owns the ship. I will get you the contact info and post. I really recommend them. We have reptile pets so I don't think anywhere we go will ever compare.

We've booked through A&K for Jan '09 on the Explorer II as well, but we're having a hard time getting much information yet. Our TA said it would be after the first of the year before they publish much more info. We've checked out A&K everywhere and am told they are the best (and one of the most expensive). If you get more info, pls post.

We've booked through A&K for Jan '09 on the Explorer II as well, but we're having a hard time getting much information yet. Our TA said it would be after the first of the year before they publish much more info. We've checked out A&K everywhere and am told they are the best (and one of the most expensive). If you get more info, pls post.

I just called A&K directly this AM. They can give you general info, even if you are booked through another TA. Other info I found out this am: The Incontinental is the scheduled hotel in BA for 2009 (at least in February). They pay for two nights (so you can check in early am when most international flights arrive), so as long as you understand you can not check in until 3:00pm, you can have two nights paid hotel instead of one at no extra cost. It is just a reception the night in BA (no dinner or Tango etc.). On the return I was told their charter back to BA leaves around 12:00pm (or they take you to the airport by 12:00, after a tour of the Park) and arrival back in BA by 5:30pm. They tell folks not to book a flight out of BA until 9:30pm or after. They include the transfer (I think it is a different airport but was told another terminal). Hope that helps. If you call and get further info, please post.

We booked the Santa Cruz, directly through Metropolitan Touring who owns the ship. I will get you the contact info and post. I really recommend them. We have reptile pets so I don't think anywhere we go will ever compare.

For the Galapagos:

Websites: www.metropolitan-touring.com / www.galapagosvoyage.com

They were great. The national currency is US dollars, so no exchange rate issues booking directly with them.

• 2 months later...

My husband and I just booked this tour, too! We are so excited. I have not been on an A&K tour before, but do have our first one scheduled in October to Egypt. As we get more information, I will post.

Archived