Dinner attire

stil29

Please forgive me ... I realize this sounds like an obvious question. I am brand new to cruising. Ok, I realize there is the main dining room and then the upscale supper club and then the many other casual places to eat. On regular dinner nights how dressed do you have to be? The site says casual but no shorts etc. Now am I safe to assume that formal nights are in the main dining rooms? So if you choose not to participate in formal night then you must eat elsewhere for that night?

BTW, we'll be on the Carnival Pride in May.

On regular nights, almost anything except shorts and t-shirts are generally accepted. (no flip-flops either) I even see jeans worn on regular nights.

On formal nights, few men or women actually wear formal wear anymore. Many men do wear shirts and ties but many don't. Many are in khaki's and polo shirts but I have seen men turned away from the dining room that were wearing t-shirts on regular nights.

I have never seen anyone turned away on formal night if they were dressed 'decently.'

Formal night is often 'optional' except on the more luxury cruises. On one recent RC cruise there were only 3 men wearing tuxedos.

Personally I always wear a shirt/tie and jacket. On formal night I wear my tux, wife wears a gown or cocktail dress. But both of us have careers that call for business dress so we are accustomed to wearing dressier clothes than many and feel perfectly comfortable in traditional formal wear.

I would have to disagree with the poster who said people don't dress formal anymore. That's really not the case. I've done 50 cruises and people still dress up on formal nights, even on Carnival. On casual nights, it's docker's type slacks and collared shirts. For the ladies, it's sundresses, slacks and nice tops. On formal nights, dark suits or tuxes for the men and long gowns or very dressey cocktail dresses or fancy pantsuits for the women. Some men will wear a sport coat and tie for formal nights, but it's rare to see people not dressed up on formal night.

I second that--the great majority WILL be in tuxes or dark suits (men) and the women go "all out"--because everyone looks good dressed up! Who doesn't want that! It's fun!

Casual nights are slacks and shirts for men, and slacks, skirts, or dresses for women. What you would wear out to a decent restaurant (sans shorts) will do just fine!

Thanks for all of the replies. It was as I suspected.. I will have to actually go shopping. We live in Alaska. We have our own level of formality..it's called Alaskan casual. That means your nice pair of jeans and a clean shirt. I truthfully do not own a dress. Since I work in the medical field I wear scrubs to work.

So I guess I have about 6 months to shop!!

Did I mention I loathe shopping??

Thanks again!!

First time cruiser here too. Ok, I've got a husband who is NOT into dressing up, he doesn't mind wearing slacks and a nice shirt though. Is that too casual for formal nights? I've also booked us one night in the supper club, are jackets required?:)

Hello,

As first timers you should experience at least one formal night. A pair of black pants and a nice top can be purchased at any Wal Mart, Target, Kohl's or any department or women's clothing store. A dress won't hurt you either. If the Governor of Alaska and one of the US Senators from that great State can wear dresses, it isn't going to hurt you to buy an inexpensive one for this once in a life time cruise.

As for your husbands, it isn't going to destroy their manhood to take a jacket, dress shirt, slacks and a tie on a cruise. Dress casual means a shirt with a collar. They do not have to give up their rifles, pick up trucks, duck calls, fishing poles, beer coolers, belt buckles, bowling balls, or truckers caps (or ice fishing cabins, if applicable).

It is always sad to see people on a cruise who for whatever reason decided not to dress up a little for formal nights. They look a bit envious as if to say "everyone looks so nice, from the elderly to little kids in their nice clothes, ready to party". And please remember that a formal night is a magical night on a cruise ship. The cruise staff is dressed up, special music, special shows, and great food choices.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

I understand your feelings, stil29. I loathe shopping for clothes, and would live in jeans and tennies if I could. I feel absolutely ridiculous in a formal get-up, and for each cruise I go back and forth about whether I want to do it or not.

Still, for your first cruise at least, I'd recommend participating in formal night just to see what it's about. Other posters have mentioned shopping posssibilities; if you have Ross or Marshalls up there, try those as well.

You can get very dressed up, yet be comfortable if you go for the "formal pants" look; either those flow-y piazza (sp?) style, or a tuxedo style which look great if you've got the figure for them.

Formal night is optional, and is only observed in the main dining room. If you just don't want to join the fashion parade, you can eat anywhere else on the ship that evening, including a cozy dinner in your cabin.

Good luck!

I truthfully do not own a dress. Since I work in the medical field I wear scrubs to work.

You will see quite a variety of dress even on formal night as there are a variety of people. I don't see any problem with a nice pant suit for you if that is something you'll wear more than once. On a typical night, we do slacks, sport shirt i.e. golf shirt for me and my wife will do slacks or a dress depending on her mood.

We enjoy the formal night as we will maybe over do it a bit as we enjoy the "date" aspect of formal night for pictures, dinner etc. I hate to say this but the only nice pic's we have of ourselves are from cruises.

Don't spend a lot of time worrying about it as you'll see anything from the T&A bunch (that's what my wife call them) to others that obviously do not dress up much. That's what makes it fun and I don't think others pay a lot of attention (maybe other than the T&A) to what others are wearing.

Hi all,

I'm taking my first cruise next month with Royal Caribbean and don't really want to bring a suit with me for the formal nights. Would I look very out of place wearing a nice pair of black pants, jacket and shirt without a tie ?

What ship? A nice pair of black pants, with a nice jacket, and shirt would be perfectly acceptable on most RCCL cruise (although I will you that I really like the look of a guy dressed in a nice tuxedo or suit!:D), especially on the shorter itineraries. You might want to take a tie with you just in case. Take a quick look out of your cabin before you head to the dining room and see what everyone else is wearing. If everyone is in tuxedos and full suits, quickly put on the tie.

Hi all,

I'm taking my first cruise next month with Royal Caribbean and don't really want to bring a suit with me for the formal nights. Would I look very out of place wearing a nice pair of black pants, jacket and shirt without a tie ?

Hello,

Bring a tie. It isn't going to break your budget to get a tie. You will look great.

The Scots who wear their kilts on formal nights, look absolutely spectacular in their finery, the silver and the plaids.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Soonerone, a shirt and slacks on formal night, unless you're on NCL, is not anywhere near acceptable--a shirt and slacks is what the men wear on casual nights. He will need at the very least a sport jacket and a tie with dress pants and shoes. I've seen people refused entry into the regular restaurant when not dressed appropriately. As to the supper club, yes, a jacket is required---it's that way with any fancy supper club on land. Look at it this way, you're paying big bucks for the entire cruise experience. Why miss the best food of the entire cruise just because you don't want to put on a jacket and tie? What's so tough about that? We're from Texas and for most Texans, a pair of jeans and a shirt is what most men wear, but when my DH and I go on a cruise, he wears a dark suit and tie. It's not all that difficult nor is it uncomfortable if your clothes fit well. The only time my DH feels uncomfortable dressing up is if the collar on the shirt is too tight.

Am I wrong in guessing that the question is really what is the least I can get by with instead of what is really appropriate? Because those are really two completely different questions and answers.

To the OP, if you choose not to participate in formal night by dressing appropriately, it is correct that you should eat somewhere else other than the main dining room (and there are tons of options).

Hi all,

You wouldn't look totally out of place but the absence of a jacket would be noted. On our last cruise one of our tablemates wore a shirt without a tie , his wife was very dressed up and it just looked strange - maybe if she had been more casually dressed he might have got away with it.:)

Laddies and Ladies,

I thought that I had convinced the advice seeker to wear a tie with the jacket. A sports jacket, a tie, and so on, will look very nice on our new friend. The addition of the tie is really the key here. The tie doesn't have to be expensive, that is, like a tie you wear to meet you prospective in-laws.

I wear a tux on formal nights (I purchased the tux for our daughter's wedding and for cruises. I found it on sale at a clothing discounter/close out seller in Los Angeles' garment district). I do not care what someone wears on formal nights because their money is as good as mine. I believe though that a man should wear a tie, and dress up to the level of his DW, SO, DD, or whomever else he is traveling with.

Some of the very best dressed men I have seen on cruise ships have been in kilts, all white linen suits, a beige three piece suit, and a carmel's hair sportcoat and tie. I didn't steal the camel's hair coat, because the wearer of this truly beautiful coat was about 85 and much shorter than me.

Ladies, above all, be reasonable!

Fred

This is a great time to shop for 'good clothes'. I sing with a group that requires us ladies to dress in long black with long sleeves. Last year our new director suggested we add something glittery for the Christmas concert. WalMart had long stretch velvet skirts for $15, and tops for $13. This year they have the same, pants also, and more tops, in black with red, two prints. I bought both. They will be great for cruising. You don't have to tell anyone what you spent, and if someone else has the same outfit, compliment them on their taste. E.

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE BEEN INSPIRED!! My cruise isn't until May but I've been inspired by all of you to make it as special as it should be. I have bought so many wonderful dresses, yes dresses, for my cruise. Coldwater Creek (website too for those of us in Alaska) has their summer dresses on sale. I have beautiful silky numbers. I'm going to feel like a princess!! Thanks for helping me make my 20th anniversary, 40th birthday, and 1st cruise even more special!!

P.S. I'm waiting til after the holidays for all of their "holiday" dresses to go on sale for my formal nights.

Hello,

Do not overdo it, that is, buy too much because you do not need the extras! Have two great outfits, one for each formal night, and nice casual for the other nights.

Fred

Aw no, Fred!! I'm a runaway train!! True, I may only need one or two, but I can't seem to pick which ones. As Jim said in the Mask, "SOMEBODY STOP ME!!"

Archived