Calling all Puget Sound "HAL PALS"

Old As Dirt Mom

Delighted to have you join us, Mr. Poseidon. Perhaps you have an "in" with the weather gods?:D If so, please ask them to treat us gently this weekend:) .

I'll see what I can do:) . Weather is so hard to predict around here, maybe thats why Poseidon turned down the weather department and opted for the oceans instead:D .

CU then.

What a kick it is to read about Novelty Hill on the HAL CC board! Sungoddess, we used to live in Duvall and traversed that hill hundreds of times. I sure hope the weather cooperates and we can get off the Sammamish Plateau. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Mrs Muir

Hello Karin and other CCers,

My husband and I would love to come join the CC "Haliday" Meet and Greet party this coming Saturday evening. Hopefully we are not too late to send in an RSVP. I will send off an email right away.

We live in Puyallup and if there's a bit of snow, it wouldn't be troublesome for us.

We love to travel and we are always delighted to hear the travel stories from others. A local party is a great idea.

Nanette and Jeff

What a great idea - wish I had found this post earlier to make plans. Now that we moved back to Portland from Florida, we definitely need a cruise fix and what a fun way to go but to get together with other cruisers - especially here in the Northwest.

The fun part on a wet, dreary day like today was going to the Postal Center and mailing autographed books of Real Women Wear Red to some of my cruising friends who ordered them as gifts. While in line I watched "Regis & Kellie" at Atlantis in the Bahamas. I must say, cruising is much more of a necessity now than when we lived in Florida. :)

Hello Karin and other CCers,

My husband and I would love to come join the CC "Haliday" Meet and Greet party this coming Saturday evening. Hopefully we are not too late to send in an RSVP. I will send off an email right away.

We live in Puyallup and if there's a bit of snow, it wouldn't be troublesome for us.

We love to travel and we are always delighted to hear the travel stories from others. A local party is a great idea.

Nanette and Jeff

Nanette, that would be lovely! I've just sent you email:) Looking forward to meeting you!

Karin

Nanette and Jeff F:

I've just sent you a second email from my regular email address. The gmail account I've posted here is not an account I normally use. Hopefully, you will receive my second email.:)

Everyone:

Although the weather forecast is a bit iffy, I'm going to assume that we won't have enough snow accumulation for travel to be an issue for some of you folks who are coming a fair distance. However, please let's all monitor the situation in case things do get messy on the road. Our get-together starts at 5 pm.

This is just a low-key, informal gathering of CC friends. Nothing fancy, just a good time (hopefully) with some good food!:) Looking foward to seeing you, weather permitting. So far, we have me, Middle-Aged Mom, Ferry Watcher, Kruskat, Sun Goddess, Mrs. Muir, PoseidonGodoftheSea, NanetteF, and possibly some "swallows" from Port Orchard! I don't want anyone to make a difficult trek through bad road conditions to get to our gathering. So please be safe, everyone!:)

Karin

Bitterballen are Dutch beef croquettes:

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/2 pound beef or veal (even pot roast), chopped fine but not ground

1/4 cup finely diced carrots

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Pinch freshly grated nutmeg

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley

5 tablespoons flour, plus 1/2 cup extra for rolling

1 cup beef stock or milk

1/2 cup panko or dried bread crumbs

1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Vegetable oil for deep frying

Deep-fried parsley, for garnish

Mustard for dipping

In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add beef, carrots and onions. Cook, stirring until meat is browned and carrots are tender. Briefly drain meat mixture in a colander and transfer to a mixing bowl. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in lemon juice and parsley. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add 5 tablespoons flour and cook, stirring well for 2 to 3 minutes. Add beef stock or milk. Continue cooking, stirring constantly until thick. Scrape flour mixture into meat mixture and stir to combine thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours or until completely cold and solidified.

With your hands, roll meat mixture into 1-inch balls. In a shallow bowl mix together remaining 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 tablespoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place panko (or bread crumps) in another shallow bowl. In a third bowl, whisk egg and water mixture.

With your hands, roll balls in seasoned flour, then in egg mixture, then in panko, and then back into the egg mixture and lastly in panko again. Lay out bitterballen so they do not touch on a parchment-lined baking sheet or platter until ready to fry.

Add enough oil to a Dutch oven, heavy skillet or deep fryer to measure at least two inches deep. Attach deep-fry thermometer to side of pan (do not allow tip to touch bottom of pan). Heat oil to 375 degrees fahrenheit.

Add a few bitterballen at a time to oil and deep-fry until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer bitterballen to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining bitterballen in batches.

Serve hot or at room temp. with deep-fried parsley and mustard or whatever dipping sauce you prefer. :)

170350546_c832d0099c.jpg?v=0

Yep, thank you John; that's what I did today......Quite a piece of work, let me tell you.....;) I smell like one big bitterballe........:eek: :D

Karin

Time to throw one or two of those balls in an envelop and send them our way!;)

After lookin at the weather this morning I have decided the snow threat is enough to keep this Seattlelite home (originally from Georgia). I know the rest of the country is probably wondering what the big deal is about 3" and if the streets were flat here it probably wouldn't be much of a big deal.

I will be looking for the pics to see what I missed out on if you do decide to have the party.

P.S. Did all the Seattle folk get the invite from HAL for the pioneer square book signing? Is anyone going to buy it?

After lookin at the weather this morning I have decided the snow threat is enough to keep this Seattlelite home (originally from Georgia). I know the rest of the country is probably wondering what the big deal is about 3" and if the streets were flat here it probably wouldn't be much of a big deal.

I will be looking for the pics to see what I missed out on if you do decide to have the party.

P.S. Did all the Seattle folk get the invite from HAL for the pioneer square book signing? Is anyone going to buy it?

Hi Poseidon:

I understand your concern. As of now, I'm proceeding as planned for the party. I will monitor the weather, and if it looks as if driving is going to be a mess, I will cancel our get-together. As of this morning, though, we're good to go.:) If we end up with no snow, you're still welcome to join us!

Yes, I received an email invite to a book signing for HAL's The Art of Cruising, Fine Art and Antiques of Holland America Line. It's being held this coming Thursday, December 6th, at the 123 Gallery in Pioneer Square, Seattle, from 5 to 9 pm.

Karin:)

Good Morning Everyone!

As of nearly 10 AM in Edmonds, it's cloudy but no snow. DH reported a slight dusting of snow in Shoreline.

We will plan to be there unless Karin cancels, or DH has concerns about driving. DH is in Seattle for most of the day so he will have a good sense of the road conditions.

I'm still baking my pecan tart for this evening's dessert!

Let's hope for the best weather-wise.

Mary

Poseidon, at this point I think you're overreacting. You can actually do a real time check by using the traffic cameras at this site and then make a last minute decision.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/seattle/

Karin, sorry to miss. This is a bad weekend for us with other activities. Plus I'm taking an antibiotic and anything alcoholic is a serious no-no.

Here's our afternoon weather update:

At our house, we currently have about 2 inches of snow, and it's still falling hard. I believe that major streets are fine at this point, mostly wet and slushy. I'm not sure about secondary roads. We do live up at the top of a big hill; which may be a factor if the temperature drops.

Please let me know if you will be braving the elements to come to our house. :) Thanks!

Karin

I've talked with several folks who had been planning on coming to our party, and travel conditions are deteriorating. Some people were coming in from more than thirty miles away, and I just can't imagine being on the road for that distance when road conditions are not good. I think we're going to have to postpone our HALiday party until another time. I'm very sorry. We have two gallons of gluhwein and more than 100 bitterballen at our house that we now forced to consume!:eek:

Stay warm and dry, everyone.

Karin

"overreacting"?

Call it what you want, Seattle is filled with steep hills, not to mention nobody knows how to drive in snow around here.

Karin-downtown has about 1/2 an inch, queen anne and capital hills appear to have gotten more from what I can see from my apartment.

Its pretty to look at though.

I've talked with several folks who had been planning on coming to our party, and travel conditions are deteriorating. Some people were coming in from more than thirty miles away, and I just can't imagine being on the road for that distance when road conditions are not good. I think we're going to have to postpone our HALiday party until another time. I'm very sorry. We have two gallons of gluhwein and more than 100 bitterballen at our house that we now forced to consume!:eek:

Stay warm and dry, everyone.

Karin

Holy Moly, bitterballen sandwiches for the next three weeks!:eek: Maybe you can box some up and send them this way;)

Sorry you guys had to cancel!

Dear Karin,

Thank you for the update. As disappointed as we are not to meet you and our fellow HAL cruisers tonight, I think you made a good decision. Darn weather! We hope to see you sometime soon. Until that time stay warm, safe and enjoy the Gluhwein and 100 bitterballen.

Best wishes,

Kathy and ‘the Gang’

Yes, darn weather :( We have 1-2 inches and it just started snowing a couple hours ago. Coming down fast and heavy now. Needless to say, we're staying home tonight and not going up to Bellingham, it's worse up there. Poseidon is right, lots of people around here don't know how to drive in snowy conditions, and all the hills make it a nightmare. (we live on a hill too)

Karin it was so sweet of you to go to all the work and planning for this, and I hope to meet you and my fellow Puget Sound CCrs some day. :)

Can you freeze the bitterballen??

Hi Karin,

I agree with your decision. The driving would have been bad, so it's probably better to stay home and off the roads. I hope you and your family enjoy the bittenballen. My family will be forced to eat my world famous pecan tart and a sweet potato pie from Ezell's Fried Chicken (Oprah's favorite fried chicken place). Ah, the sacrifices we need to make. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for offering to host this gathering. I'm glad that you are willing to try again after the holidays and after the possibility of potential snowfall. The best part of all this is realizing that there is real interest in local HAL Pals meeting. It's possible that our next planned get together may attract even more HAL fans. Maybe Seattle HQ has a nice atrium with catering...;)

As I sit here the snow is coming down even harder. The right decision was made. Kids are even trying to sled in a sports field nearby.

Well enjoy this snowy evening. I look forward to when we can all meet.

Mary

Ferry Watcher

Archived