Calling all Puget Sound "HAL PALS"

Old As Dirt Mom

Hey, Karin-

Dom and I will catch a quick flight in the a.m. Hate to see all of that good stuff go to waste, my friend! ;)

(Don't I wish!!!!!.....BUT.... will be outta here 1 week from today, heading south to Ft. Lauderdale!) :)

Have a great cruise NNN :)

Much warmer than here right now.......wish I was going somewhere warm too :p

Thanks, Carolyn! :)

The packing started today. We've got clothes, wine, beach stuff and suitcases all over the house.

(I'd DIE if there were a knock on the door!.....luckily we're 3/4 mile back in the woods behind a locked gate) ;)

Karin,

I'm so sorry the weather did not cooperate! Perhaps a funny story (on me!) may help cheer you up.

I remember a time in the mid-90s when our sons were at UW, and we decided to spend a night at a hotel in Seattle after meeting them for dinner, rather than take the Bainbridge Island ferry to go home to Silverdale. Early the next morning, DW woke me to say that about 3 inches of snow was on the ground, and more was falling. We decided, after watching KING news and the Weather Channel, that we would not chance the Bainbridge ferry, the drive across Bainbridge Island, across the Agate Passage bridge and through Poulsbo because we thought the Kitsap County snowplows, etc., would concentrate on route 3 and other main roads and we would be stuck in a mess.

So, we went down I-5 to Tacoma and up route 16 to Gorst and then to route 3. Route 16 was a mess and it took us almost two hours to crawl the 30 or so miles!

The next day at work, I related my story to a co-worker, who said, "Why didn't you take the Bremerton ferry instead?" D'oh!

(For those not from the Seattle area, I drove about 60 miles out of the way to avoid 12 or so miles of back roads, whereas I could have taken a different ferry and arrived about 10 miles away from my home on main roads. The Bremerton ferry ride was about twice as long as my usual route, but I guess I had become so used to using the Bainbridge ferry, I forgot about the other one.)

Dave

Sorry that I had to cancel our HALiday party.:(

Here's a picture of our street as the snow began falling. We ended up with four inches of snow. The surface streets in our suburb don't get ploughed (there isn't enough snow equipment to handle it), and so while I'm sorry I had to cancel our get-together, I'm glad nobody had to be driving through that last night.

Shall we try again after the holidays, when the weather is a little more compliant?.........I do want to thank all of you who had prepared appetizers and desserts to share. I'm sorry we couldn't enjoy the fruits of your labors. I plan to freeze some of my unused food for use at Christmas.:) I've so enjoyed the opportunity of getting to know all of you better. Even though we didn't manage to have our party, I still feel like I've made some lovely new friends.:) Thank you!

Karin

37484063_SnowyStreet.jpg.744c70be28f609b1430e0ef0489ae06c.jpg

Hey Karin

Really sorry you had to cancel. What a bummer eh! All that snow as well, golly looks like picture perfect to me, but I have just come back from lovely warm sun and 25 celsius temps and 4 nights in a perfectly lovely hotel/apartment.

Send me down some of your meatballs if you like, or else remember the discussion we had about spaghetti for the masses, perhaps you can unload it that way :D

Val

Okay all Puget Sound HAL PALs, lets plan a new get together! This weather is awful; it took me 2 hours to drive 15 miles this afternoon!

Let's shoot for January. I am more than willing to host at my house, in Duvall, if that is okay for everyone. I feel so bad for Karin, but I am jealous about all of the bitterballen that she has to eat!

Would the 12th work for everyone?

Bridgett

Bridgett,

Thanks so much for the offer. Unfortunately, I am unavailable that weekend. (Darn it!) It will be a lot of fun when we all do finally get together!

Brad, great suggestion meeting at the book signing, especially for any folks working or living in DT Seattle. I hope the event goes well for the authors.

I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you both soon.

Thanks,

Mary

Ferry Watcher

Fellow Puget Sounders, I suggest we wait until that dark month of January is over (even though my birthday's on the 19th). No telling what will happen to the weather. Monsoon season has really arrived!

Mrs Muir

Fellow Puget Sounders, I suggest we wait until that dark month of January is over (even though my birthday's on the 19th). No telling what will happen to the weather. Monsoon season has really arrived!

Mrs Muir

I have to agree. January can often be our worst month of the winter (happy birthday Mrs. Muir, mine is right after yours on the 24th) :D I remember many a birthday in blizzard conditions :(

Bridgett, it's really nice of you to start putting this together -- I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Today is my birthday!:D

And, it is probably best to wait until after that dark dreary month known as January has passed. The HAL get together will give us something to look forward to!

Thanks again to Karin and Bridgett for offering their homes.

Mary

Ferry Watcher

Hi, sorry I haven't responded here sooner; it's been busy here! We had some water seeping into our basement because of all the rain. Also, my father's health is deteriorating rapidly, and we are bracing ourselves for his passing, whenever that may be.

Mary (Ferry Watcher) many happy returns to you on your special day:)

I also recommend February over January for our get-together. The days are noticeably longer then, and there's even a hint of spring to come in the air.........Thank you, Bridgett, for offering your home.

Karin

Thank you all for the birthday wishes!

Karin, I'm sorry to hear about your father's health. Was he able to go to your house last Sunday for your family party? It's always hard when a parent has health problems. PLease accept my prayers for both your parents and for you and your family.

Mary

Archived