Seasick/nervous on tenders?

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

Does anyone else get borderline seasick or nervous on those tender boats? As for me, I rarely get seasick on the actual ship, but I can't stand being on that rocking tender as everyone loads or offloads. I get nauseous and nervous. To me it's the feeling I get on the tilt o whirl after it's stopped and is just rocking- not good!

Does anyone else get borderline seasick or nervous on those tender boats? As for me, I rarely get seasick on the actual ship, but I can't stand being on that rocking tender as everyone loads or offloads. I get nauseous and nervous.

Best thing to do is wait to be the last one to board the Tender, once onboard go either topside or up front away from the diesel fumes. Thats what I do and I'm ok, the ride to the pier should take 5 - 10 minutes tops.

Fred

I'm actually better on the tender than on the ship. Maybe because I'm out in the open and can look toward the horizon and get some fresh air. As Fred noted, avoid the back of the tender on the lower level, if possible.

I can barely swim, but I don't get "nervous" about the tender at all. If it's "that" rough, they aren't going to tender at all.

Since I take Non Drowsy Dramamine anyway, I don't get nauseous, but this last cruise had our first ever tender port. Going into Cabo wasn't horrible, just a little rocky, but returning to the ship in the afternoon, it was very bumpy and we were in an open tender and the people in the rear got wet. I was in the front, next to a full wall and just got bounced up and down. Within an hour or two of us returning to the ship, they repositioned because the tenders were having a hard time getting next to the ship and getting people abord because the water was moving so much. When they turned the ship, it created a very smooth water surface so people could board easier. I prefer docking.

I posted this in the other thread about tendering.

Regarding sea sickness.

I used to work tour boats, and sometimes the weather didn't cooperate as requested.

In rough water (waves breaking over the bow of a 42' lake cruiser), it got a bit anxious for the customers.

If they'd start to say they were feeling ill, I would suggest to them to think of it as the relaxing sensation you'd get sitting in a rocking chair, and that seemed to work every time.

Many times it's mind over matter.

Especially if you can see the horizon...

Mind over matter? That's what they say. Trust me, I've tried to convince myself all my life that my motion sickness was "all in my head."

My two Fantasy cruises, I had on problem, so I thought maybe I had "talked myself out of it." Then, on our 1st day at sea on Elation last December, in fairly smooth waters, it hit me after lunch. We'd been up on the Veranda deck, aft, sitting in the sun all day and I just started feeling icky.

We had to return to port not too long after sailing (medical emergency), so by the time we left the 2nd time, it was about 8 pm rather than 4 pm. I wondered if we were just going faster to make up lost time and that contributed to the motion.

I went to my cabin, took my dramamine, found a window seat along the promenade deck (inside where it was nice and cool), semi-dozed for a while, and was fine in a couple of hours.

I've never missed a meal, yet, due to feeling quesy!

This time, I'm going to try Ginger and I'm switching to Bonine.

If I managed to NOT get sick on our ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel, I think I'll probably not ever actually hurl. But the queasiness is SO unpleasant!

If they'd start to say they were feeling ill, I would suggest to them to think of it as the relaxing sensation you'd get sitting in a rocking chair, and that seemed to work every time.

Many times it's mind over matter.

Especially if you can see the horizon...

If you told me that, I would be calling for ralph in sec. Many years in the Navy, I know what works and don't work and that will surely make me sicker.

For me the best way to overcome this problem is to have less time on the tender by waiting till its ready to go and getting as much wind as possible over my face while keeping the diesel fumes away.

Fred

Don't you love people who don't get motion sick telling you "it's all in your head"? It is in your head in a way, it's in your inner ear, totally out of anyone's control. Everyone has their motion and anyone who's never gotten sick just hasn't found their motion. My DH is a naval officer and there is only one particular motion that makes him nauseous, otherwise he's perfectly fine. Tenders are so much smaller and with the diesel combined with waves, you can feel more and get sick quicker.

For everyone who thinks it's all in your head, I hope you find your motion and can relate! As everyone who's ever been motion sick will tell you: The good news is you won't die from it, and the bad news is you won't die from it.

We were on a double decker tender in very rough water and all of a sudden it was raining puke from the top deck. Several very unfortunate guests sitting on the lower level were drenched. I always get a seat now that is away from the side of a double decker.

Archived