Venice and Turkey questions

We are going to the Med next fall on Splendour of the Seas. We have a couple of questions.

1. Do we need to apply for Visas to visit Turkey?

2. While on a pre-cruise in Venice, is it better to stay in the Mestre area or on Venice "island?"

Thanks. I have found the info on these boards very helpful.

1. If you are just visiting Turkey for the day on your cruise, you will not need a visa. However, if you cruise starts or ends in Turkey, you will need one.

2. I wouldn't recommend staying in Mestre. My parents just stayed there and were disappointed at how far away they were from the main area of Venice.

We didn't need a visa for Kusadasi, Turkey this past May.

Although the price of hotel rooms in Venice borders on obscene, staying "on the island" gives you more time to spend in this wonderful city. Especially if you have limited time pre-cruise. The first time we stayed at a hotel near the Piazzale Roma but didn't get to experience walking around the city as easily as we did when we stayed nearer to San Marco.

I have done this Splendour cruise twice, and am going again next year. It is a lovely itinery, a beautiful ship and we have always had a fantastic time.

As the others have said, you don`t need a visa in Turkey. You must see Ephesus - this is the main reason the ship goes here. Either privately or with the ship tour - but make sure you get a guide, he`ll make it all come to life with explanations and stories.

Definately stay in Venice itself. Anywhere is good, Venice is quite small so it`s easy to get around. You will need to get to Piazza del Roma to get to the ship, but you can easily get there by Vaporetto so you don´t have to stay there. The central area in Venice (busy) is to stay around the Rialto/St. Marks area - but as I said, Venice is small so anywhere on the main island area is good. We are staying near Accadamia next year. One other tip, don`t be too influenced by the "star" system in venice. There are some excellent 1 and 2 star hotels, as well as crappy 4 star! Try venere dot com for hotels.

As long as you are not spending a night in Turkey you will not need a Visa unless they change the rules. The Turkish Visas are simply a stamp (for Americans) that cost $45 and you can always get one at any port or airport when its needed. As to Venice, we would strongly agree with those that say to stay in Venice and not Mestre. This puts you right in the middle of everything and its more convenient for touring, dining, etc. However, beware that Venice has lots of logistic issues when it comes to transfers and hotel prices are quite high (the near collapse of the dollar has not helped). Do your pre-trip homework on Venice (especially transfers) and carefully compare it to packages offered by your cruise line. We generally like to stay somewhere in the vicinity of the Piazzale Roma because that allows us to take the inexpensive bus in from the airport. Unless you are willing to pay for the very expensive water taxis (about $150 with luggage) that can take you right to most hotel docks, you should be prepared to walk from the Piazzole Roma or the nearest Vaporetto stop to your hotel. Keep in mind that this usually will involve taking your luggage up and down steps (to get over bridges). Venice is a wonderful place for a few days, but the Venetians have really made it expensive and difficult for anyone with luggage!

Hank

good evening

we go on this cruise next may

can you help me with a couple of questions?

do the same visa rules apply for uk citizens?

are all the shore excursions that the cruise companies sell available from local agents on the dockside at the ports of call?

mick

.....The Turkish Visas are simply a stamp (for Americans) that cost $45 and you can always get one at any port or airport when its needed......

Hank

Are you sure about that price? I landed in IST precruise in April; & I paid $20 (in USD only) for my stamp.

hi, I read that for UK travelers, visa for Turkey might be different depends on what kind of passport you have. Go to

http://www.Turkeytravelplanner.com You will see a good explanation and the fees. Which cruise will you be taking? We did not see any travel agency when we docked at the pier in Karakoy, Istanbul. We stayed at Zeynep Sultan hotel last month. The hotel sent someone to meet us at the airport. All the major attractions are within walking distance of the hotel. You can see Saint Sophia mosque from the breakfast terrace. We walked to all the sights by ourselves and had a great time. You probably need 1.5 days.

For UK travellers it the same - you don`t need a visa for Turkey. I was there in October, have a British Passport no problems. You don´t even need to take your passport off the ship when you go into Kusadassi, they just check your ship card for ID. The ship must register how many passengers and what nationalities they are - you don`t need to do anything.

If you are going to Dubrovnik (or Split maybe)though, you do need to take your passport ashore - this was the only place we needed it in port.

We stayed at the Hotel Carlton & Grand Canal across the street from San Lucia station. You can take vaporetto from there to anywhere incl the airport.

Just one high bridge to cross to get to station or water bus stop (important if you are carrying luggage).

Piazzale Roma is 2 short bridges away. You can take a free shuttle to the port from there.

Water bus 24 hour ticket costs 15 euro (each one way is 6 Euro).

If you fly to Turkey, you go to a window and pay for your VISA. It is $ 20. You don't have to get a VISA in advance to visit Turkey but again this point is moot on the cruise you are going on.

As for hotels, stay in Piazzle Roma. It is the best of all worlds. Ground transportation is there and it is nice and quiet at night. All the vaporettos are there and you walk to St. Mark's Square, over the Rialto Bridge and this is the best way to see Venice.

The hotels I would recommend are the Santa Chiara, The Sofitel, the Hotel Cadoge. All are located in Piazzle Roma.

Hi! Just got back Sunday from A 12 day med cruise on Brilliance of the Sea.

(5 Nov-17 Nov) Barcelona to Rome with overnite in Venice.

FYI. If you can, I would suggest an a cruise with an overnight in Venice.

Buy the time you pay for $200-300 + a nite on hotels, lugging over-weight suitcases over steps, up/down stairs in hotels, & in water taxis/bus. Trust me you don't want to start or finish a cruise with such hassles.:(

While in Venice (there were over a hand full of other cruise ships) & many of us on CC noticed people lugging heavy luggages on & off water taxis/boats--not fun. Don't forget most of Venice is cobblestones harder to wheel the suitcases & small alley ways. Water taxis can easily cost over $100 :eek: to hotels & you have the added cost of transportation to/fro airport also.:o

Just want you to be informed.

On our cruise we were in Venice 1:00p.m. Saturday to Sunday at 5:00 p.m. Lots of time to do tours, galleries, gondola ride, & most esp. wander get lost & find yourself a cafe to sit & people watch while having your favorite drink. We (cruise critic friends) met up at 5:00 pm on Saturday.

We all felt more comfortable being in a group during twilight hours & enjoyed a 3 hr dinner with more shopping & got back before the last boat ride to ship at 11:00 pm. Left the cruise ship at 8:00 am 2nd day to 4:00 pm. First day just walking around & getting our footing around town & compare pricing:) Second day did tours & gondola ride & ate & ate;) :rolleyes:

Gris

Archived