Canceled cruise!!

LouisV

I'd be bummed also. :(

It does seem like it's the Zuiderdam and Westerdam that seems to have a lot of charters (were you on one of these ships?) and they do bump people. Shonuf, a poster here, was bumped in the spring of 2006 for her Jan 2007 cruise because of a charter. I also remember reading a lot of posts concerning this issue. For this reason, when we cruise again, we probably won't book a cruise until about 6 months or less out because of the charter issue. The charters need time to sell the space since they purchase all the cabins. I think booking anything 6-12 months or more before the actual sailing comes with some risk, especially on a a 7-day cruise (the Caribbean in particular).

You're probably not going to get anything out of the cruise line, as far as compensation. I know Shonuf didn't. They have their tails covered in the fine-print of the contract that we sign. I'd consider myself lucky that you found out at this time. I know Shonuf's TA had a heck of a time getting this info from HAL. Shonuf learned about the charter from another poster here. It was an Olivia sailing, and the other poster was kind enough to point this out to Shonuf. There was also another person on this cruise who found out a month or so later, here on CC, the same info and had to go to the TA.

I don't know who dropped the ball, the TA or HAL, but this sort of thing is something that's fairly common (the charters) so you really have to be on the look out for this. HAL seems to have a lot of charters. So just beware of this when booking with HAL (although I am sure it happens on other cruse lines, and I'd bet, the smaller the ship, the shorter the itinerary, the more likelihood this will happen). It's much easier to fill a 1500 passenger ship with a charter than a 4000 passenger ship. But we don't like the big ships, so we're in a pickle here.

We travel a lot and we've never encountered this any other place other than on a ship. We've never been "bumped" from our hotel or condo because a group came in. I guess it's part of the equation and just something to think about when planning a cruise. It annoys me to no end, but at least I know it's out there and can try and plan around it or have a "Plan B" waiting.

Good luck and I hope you find another cruise that works for you. :)

While it is very disappointing to have a cruise cancelled, which would be worse - having a trip cancelled this far in advance OR being on a ship with a very large group reserving various areas? While I have never experienced it, postings on this board have lead me to believe that large groups can severely impede the movements of the "non-group" passengers.

Hopefully there will be another cruise/itinerary/port that works for you and your mother and you can still salvage a great time!

Michelle

Pmatch,

I posted this on the group thread (above). The group that's chartered the ship is Let's Dance, a ballroom dancing group.

I know you're disappointed, but as others have pointed out, you're still a year out. This happens on all cruise lines, and is just the reality of modern travel.

In my business travels I've already been relocated to another hotel due to a group booking at the hotel where I had the reservation. Roz

Thank you Roz.

Here is another idea for the OP that some have used when they have their heart set on a certain date/ship.

They book the desired cruise through the group charter organizer. Be aware that when a ship is chartered the experience is different that a routine sail and geared towards the interests of the group. They always cost more than a routine cruise because of the organization and entertainment. And sometimes these interests match and sometimes, not.

As an aside, I used to travel weekly on business and yeah, getting bumped out of a hotel due to group reservations and/or oversold conditions, happened far more frequently than recreational travellers may experience.

As it relates to cruising, once a ship is "officially" chartered, the cruise line and travel agencies cease to sell cabins. I always find it a curiosity when the travel agency knows but the individual agent did not or failed to promptly inform their clients who had bookings. And it's always the same ole story, "bad, bad cruise line"......Oh, give me a break, please. :)

We've never had a cruise canceled on us ... knock on wood.

We worry about it happening because DH requires a HC cabin -- and there are so few, compared to standard cabins, on a ship.

We are at the point that we have to book MORE THAN A YEAR out, to ensure we have an accessible cabin.

Right now we are looking at cruises in Jan/Feb/March 2009.

Several of them already have the HC cabins booked [we typically get a VA], which has been disappointing.

When/if we do find one to our liking, we would be very upset if we got bumped off due to a charter. To have our cruise canceled might mean not being able to cruise at all. At least not on HAL ... :(

For fun I looked up a couple cruise lines - and the Sea Princess has a wonderful itinerary leaving on November 1st for 14 days. Also the Norwegian Dream leaves from Miami on November 9th for a wonderful 14 day itinerary too. On November 10th the Celebrity Constellation goes for an 11 night "Ultimate Caribbean" iteinerary - looks like fun!

Good luck to you!

For fun I looked up a couple cruise lines - and the Sea Princess has a wonderful itinerary leaving on November 1st for 14 days. Also the Norwegian Dream leaves from Miami on November 9th for a wonderful 14 day itinerary too. On November 10th the Celebrity Constellation goes for an 11 night "Ultimate Caribbean" iteinerary - looks like fun!

Good luck to you!

Thanks Jilltoons! Everyone is so helpful. I'm sure we will find something...I do prefer to book with one of the newer ships though.

I think I might hold the record here. HAL canceled us three times this year. We finally went Nov. 3rd. and we had a great time. I think that it worked out well for us, as we would have been gone during the San Diego fires and we would have been too nervous to have any fun.

A lot can happen in a year to make you change your plans. Good luck.:)

I think I might hold the record here. HAL canceled us three times this year. We finally went Nov. 3rd. and we had a great time. I think that it worked out well for us, as we would have been gone during the San Diego fires and we would have been too nervous to have any fun.

A lot can happen in a year to make you change your plans. Good luck.:)

Ok - I am up for the challenge :)

How about the 10 day Emerald Princess ???? It is a new ship too.

Sorry Pmatch - I am having too much fun looking up ships and itineraries.

Grampy - 3 times??? what were the reasons?

Jilltoons - You are more helpful than our TA!! Thanks! I find the planning to be alot of fun too!

The best remedy I can think of is to select an alternate cruise for roughly the same time. HAL has 6 ships in the Caribbean in November 2008. Which cruise was cancelled -- the 7th, 17th, or 27th? Is timing so tight -- a year out -- that the cruise before or after won't work? If such is the case:

The Maasdam is doing 14-day cruises in November 2008.

The Zuiderdam is doing 10--day Panama Canal cruises in November 2008

Or, there are several 7-day offerings.

If it were me, I'd be shifting my booking to a different ship. :)

I couldn't see the Zuiderdam cruise on the HA website for that period.

Jilltoons - You are more helpful than our TA!! Thanks! I find the planning to be alot of fun too!

I am not Grampy but I sure am a fan of his. I do believe he may hold the world's record for cancelled sails in 2006/7.

From HAL's perspective, Grampy is their lucky charm.

As Micmac has pointed out, what would be worse would be to be nongroup passengers on a cruise dominated by a large group, say the "Art Auction Lovers of America (AALA)". Upon boarding, you find that:

a) All public lounges are reserved for 24-hour art auctions.

b) The Spa is reserved for art auctions.

c) The theater is reserved for art auctions.

c) All port calls are cancelled so there will be more time for art auctions.

d) All TV channels will be devoted to previewing art.

e) All dining times are reserved for the group except for the 11:30 PM lower.

f) Swimming pools are closed, and used for art storage.

To make up for all this inconvenience, non-group people will be offered front row seats for any art auctions they wish to attend!

As Micmac has pointed out, what would be worse would be to be nongroup passengers on a cruise dominated by a large group, say the "Art Auction Lovers of America (AALA)". Upon boarding, you find that:

a) All public lounges are reserved for 24-hour art auctions.

b) The Spa is reserved for art auctions.

c) The theater is reserved for art auctions.

c) All port calls are cancelled so there will be more time for art auctions.

d) All TV channels will be devoted to previewing art.

e) All dining times are reserved for the group except for the 11:30 PM lower.

f) Swimming pools are closed, and used for art storage.

To make up for all this inconvenience, non-group people will be offered front row seats for any art auctions they wish to attend!

You're too funny....a lot of hidden meaning there too!

In the early 90's I cruised a few times on Cunard's Sea Goddes (now SeaDream). Small, luxury ships. About 8 weeks before a scheduled 7 day Caribbean cruise, they cancelled because of a charter. They offered full refund, OR if we would delay a few weeks, they would comp us another cruise of similar value. Two for the price of one. Of course, we accepted the offer and later that year enjoyed a 10 day crossing from Barcelona to St. Thomas, with a stops at Tenerife and St. Barts thrown in. Nice. I doubt any line has that policy these days.

While it is very disappointing to have a cruise cancelled, which would be worse - having a trip cancelled this far in advance OR being on a ship with a very large group reserving various areas? While I have never experienced it, postings on this board have lead me to believe that large groups can severely impede the movements of the "non-group" passengers.

I'd also rather be cancelled. I've read some interesting posts about the "groups" and how they can take over certain areas, sometimes for most of the cruise.

Oosterdam, Blues Cruise, Gay Cruise, and I'm not sure of the third one. I think maybe the Captain of the Hammydam chartered the ship.:D

I now own most of the Oosterdam gift shop thanks to cruise credits.;)

Archived