Why 10pm departure from San Juan

VTSnorkeler

I was just wondering if anyone knew the motivation behind this late departure? Is it so people can make it to the pier from flights etc? Is it because the first stop (typically St Thomas or DR) is very close to PR?

I am trying to decide whether to fly down to SJU day of (arrive at 3pm) and perhaps get to the ship early evening at the latest, or fly in a day early and board early. We've already been to San Juan twice, so seeing this port isn't exactly a priority...we will have 10+ hours at cruise end to see town etc anyway. BUT if we can board the ship early and get oriented and enjoy some of the ship's facilities, food etc..it may be worth while coming in to SJ the day before.

Anyone have any opinions? Especially as to why these cruises tend to leave so late at night?

PS - There is plenty of time for connecting flights (3+ hours at JFK) and like I said we are scheduled to arrive in SJU at 3pm, so missing the ship is not a factor (I don't think)

You already listed the reasons. First stop is usually close by so it won't take long to get there. People are coming from all over the world and some flights do get in late. You can be on the ship early about noon or so and start to enjoy the ship, others like to go and explore San Juan.

Enjoy your cruise, you will have lots of fun....you might even like to show off on the 'rock wall' .

Wes

San Juan, Puerto Rico, is a L-O-N-G flight from the mainland US. Look at a map. Think about how long it would take someone to fly from the West Coast to San Juan, keeping in mind the whole time that as you fly from West to East, you LOSE FIVE time zone hours. You would fly from Pacific Time, Mountain Time, Central Time, Eastern Time, to Eastern Caribbean Time.

I know a week before on a Wed they pick up people in Barbados and that PR is one of there late port of calls... :p

I think Aruba is one also....

Some people do not realize that they are picking up new people at every port......... :eek:

Even years ago when the ships were small (18,000 tons) and didn't have powerful engines, they didn't leave San Juan until late in the evening when a cruise began there.

Lots of flights don't arrive until the afternoon - many people arrive at that time.

So, why not go down a day early, board the ship early, enjoy yourselves, get acquainted with the ship.

That's what we do.

Even years ago when the ships were small (18,000 tons) and didn't have powerful engines, they didn't leave San Juan until late in the evening when a cruise began there.

Lots of flights don't arrive until the afternoon - many people arrive at that time.

So, why not go down a day early, board the ship early, enjoy yourselves, get acquainted with the ship.

That's what we do.

This is exactly what we plan to do :D The investigating and early navigation of the vessel is one of my favorite parts of the cruise... DW likes to lounge on deck Margarita in hand while I scope things out! Thanks for the tip!

San Juan, Puerto Rico, is a L-O-N-G flight from the mainland US. QUOTE]

LOL......are you kidding? NY is "mainland US" and it's not even a four hour flight.

You think that's long? Not me.

I consider flights to Europe, Asia and Australia long......certainly not SJU.

Dolly

There may be some smaller lines picking up and dropping off at every port, but RCI, Carnival, Princess etc aren't. The cruise starts and ends in San Juan and that's it. The exceptions are those long voyages (30 day+) where they sell segments.

NYC might only be 4 hours to SJU, but very few other cities have direct flights to SJU. Most people arriving there for a cruise have to the airport shuffle, sometimes a couple times, to get there. They aren't kidding when they say that when you go to heaven, you have to stop in Atlanta first LOL.

I would definitely go down the day before. Unless I was a short drive to any cruise port, I'd go a day early. Never mind the possibility of air delays, or lost luggage needing time to catch up to you. But, you go through that long travel day, which is in fact day 1 of your cruise, why wait until later to get to the ship. I rather having a good night sleep, getting up at a decent hour, having a nice breakfast, and getting to the ship as soon as practical. I did the travel on the same day as cruise departure once, and was so tired by dinner time, that the first night almost felt like a waste.

"LOL......are you kidding? NY is "mainland US" and it's not even a four hour flight.

You think that's long? Not me.

I consider flights to Europe, Asia and Australia long......certainly not SJU."

I don't consider 4 hours long either, but I am in VA, and for months the best I could find was a 9 or 10 hour flight time to SJU, nothing in my price range was available with less that TWO stops. It was only good fortune that I finally got a 6 hour flight (with one stop).

There may be some smaller lines picking up and dropping off at every port, but RCI, Carnival, Princess etc aren't. The cruise starts and ends in San Juan and that's it. The exceptions are those long voyages (30 day+) where they sell segments.

NYC might only be 4 hours to SJU, but very few other cities have direct flights to SJU. Most people arriving there for a cruise have to the airport shuffle, sometimes a couple times, to get there. They aren't kidding when they say that when you go to heaven, you have to stop in Atlanta first LOL.

I would definitely go down the day before. Unless I was a short drive to any cruise port, I'd go a day early. Never mind the possibility of air delays, or lost luggage needing time to catch up to you. But, you go through that long travel day, which is in fact day 1 of your cruise, why wait until later to get to the ship. I rather having a good night sleep, getting up at a decent hour, having a nice breakfast, and getting to the ship as soon as practical. I did the travel on the same day as cruise departure once, and was so tired by dinner time, that the first night almost felt like a waste.

we have been on four carnival cruise ships that had some people start their cruises from barbados , la romana pr. and from cozumel so they do pick up and drop off at more than one port.you just have to get off at the same port you got on at.

Archived