What constitutes 'a pair of jeans'

cruisebore

I have a number of pairs of casual trousers, not denim, but a smoother cotton fabric. These can be pressed with or without a crease.

Is it OK to wear them as casual wear or must it be the traditional trouser with front crease? I would not wish to offend anyone if they would be considered to be jeans.

Regards

Cb

I have a number of pairs of casual trousers, not denim, but a smoother cotton fabric. These can be pressed with or without a crease.

Is it OK to wear them as casual wear or must it be the traditional trouser with front crease? I would not wish to offend anyone if they would be considered to be jeans.

Regards

Cb

Wear what you like!

I have had some great info from the members of this board and am very grateful,However if i had never cruised prior to my po one and had taken some of the advise given by the hard liners i would of thrown myself over board for even considering anything but a ball gown at any given time!!

My recent cruise on Oriana was a very elderly clientele and very traditional and i saw all sorts of people wearing all sorts of things....obviously formal nights are adhered to but on smart casual night you should be comfortable.

Have a good one

Lou

My hubbie wears dark blue or black jeans at home and took them on our cruises, but in the end never wore them in the evenings. Preferring black trousers with a nice striped long sleeve/ or short sleeved ben sherman type shirt, much smarter. Jeans esp blue denim would look a bit out of place in the evening in the restaurant - its not a pub after all is it.... would you wear jeans to a good restaurant at home? no probably not eh??

Smart chinos are ok.... but as someone once said to me before my first cruise - smart casual night is wearing what you would wear in a good restaurant. Semi and formal nights one step up again

Sue

Short answer, if you are comfortable, yes.

There is now an increasing variety of trousers or pants that are not jeans and also possible not 'smart casual' in the conventional sense. I mean those with patch pockets.

These could be technical trousers with a tough quick dry fabric, voluminous, patched pockets, and even zip off legs. These could be smart provided they are not 'well worn'.

Less technical but especially practicable are the smooth fabric trousers, such as Crag Hoppers, with discrete zipped pockets and possibly a thigh pocket. The latter is especially useful for passport, flight tickets, wallet etc when travelling.

Then there are jeans. Hip pockets designed for folding wallets and pick pockets. Front pockets designed for nothing and sometimes needing to undo the waitband to get your hands in them. Worse are the ones with designer 'wash-fade' on the thighs. Even worse are relaxed fit (for the over 40s - waist or age). And finally the designer oil stains. Yuk.

Archived