VANCOUVER... For a first Timer.

josephml1

Joseph:

Here are my top five favorites - the other five will come tomorrow.

1. Stanley Park - everyone's favorite and close to downtown - one day hardly does it justice as there is so much to see - best seen in foot or bike - pay parking in effect.

2. Capilano Suspension Bridge - an engineering wonder and also an old growth forest.

3. Grouse Mountain - even in winter it can be a good place to visit - if it is clear you will get some spectacular views of the entire region and even Mt Baker in Washington State.

4. Granville Island - which you have already asked about and for which you have a link - a country market, crafts and eateries.

5. Vancouver Aquarium - located in Stanley Park and a destination all its own - see the whales and dolphins and many educational displays.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Joseph:

Here are my top five favorites - the other five will come tomorrow.

1. Stanley Park - everyone's favorite and close to downtown - one day hardly does it justice as there is so much to see - best seen in foot or bike - pay parking in effect.

2. Capilano Suspension Bridge - an engineering wonder and also an old growth forest.

3. Grouse Mountain - even in winter it can be a good place to visit - if it is clear you will get some spectacular views of the entire region and even Mt Baker in Washington State.

4. Granville Island - which you have already asked about and for which you have a link - a country market, crafts and eateries.

5. Vancouver Aquarium - located in Stanley Park and a destination all its own - see the whales and dolphins and many educational displays.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thank You Dennis, I am taking notes with a map on my hand...:D

I am sure all this info is going to be very useful...

Thanks.:)

Joseph - here's some more tourist options for you to consider.

6. Telus World of Science - great for the young and the young at heart and on the eastern end of the downtown core.

7. Queen Elizabeth Park - the highest point in the City - on a clear day great views of the city - there is a conservatory and sunken garden as well - easy access by bus or car

8. Lonsdale Quay Market - a farmer's market - different from Granville Island - take the Sea Bus from Waterfront Station across Burrard Inlet to the Quay.

9. Burnaby Mtn/Simon Fraser University - a high point in the eastern part of the Metro Region with great views of the City and home of our second largest university.

10. Horseshoe Bay - I always like the drive out along Marine Drive in West Vancouver to this compact little neighbourhood that is also home to the ferries to Bowen Island, Sunshine Coast and Nanaimo on Vancouver Island - if you like fish and chips you might want to try Troll's as they are the original fish and chip place.

11.Westminster Quay - another interesting public market along the Fraser River - take a trip on our Sky Train rapid transit system to this stop - enjoy the market, if the weather is nice walk along the broadwalk and then if you are hungry and like pasta head for the Old Spaghetti Factory located next to the Sky train terminal.

12. Gastown and Chinatown - only a short distance from where you are staying.

Hope this helps some more - how many days are you going to be in Vancouver

Cheers

Dennis

Hi,

great lists, but if I could add one more.

The Museum of Anthropology located at the University of British Columbia. It's in a beautiful part of the city, and if you are at all into First Nations/aboriginal arts & culture, it's amazing. The collection of carvings and artifacts, etc, is unparralled. There is a big focus on northwest cultures, but the collection extends to aboriginal cultures around the world. Not to be missed!

Cheers

Robin

Hi,

great lists, but if I could add one more.

The Museum of Anthropology located at the University of British Columbia. It's in a beautiful part of the city, and if you are at all into First Nations/aboriginal arts & culture, it's amazing. The collection of carvings and artifacts, etc, is unparralled. There is a big focus on northwest cultures, but the collection extends to aboriginal cultures around the world. Not to be missed!

Cheers

Robin

Thank You Robin...Just yesterday i recived a Vancouver magazine with a coupon to the Museum of Anthropology. Thank you for mention it.

Joseph - here's some more tourist options for you to consider.

6. Telus World of Science - great for the young and the young at heart and on the eastern end of the downtown core.

7. Queen Elizabeth Park - the highest point in the City - on a clear day great views of the city - there is a conservatory and sunken garden as well - easy access by bus or car

8. Lonsdale Quay Market - a farmer's market - different from Granville Island - take the Sea Bus from Waterfront Station across Burrard Inlet to the Quay.

9. Burnaby Mtn/Simon Fraser University - a high point in the eastern part of the Metro Region with great views of the City and home of our second largest university.

10. Horseshoe Bay - I always like the drive out along Marine Drive in West Vancouver to this compact little neighbourhood that is also home to the ferries to Bowen Island, Sunshine Coast and Nanaimo on Vancouver Island - if you like fish and chips you might want to try Troll's as they are the original fish and chip place.

11.Westminster Quay - another interesting public market along the Fraser River - take a trip on our Sky Train rapid transit system to this stop - enjoy the market, if the weather is nice walk along the broadwalk and then if you are hungry and like pasta head for the Old Spaghetti Factory located next to the Sky train terminal.

12. Gastown and Chinatown - only a short distance from where you are staying.

Hope this helps some more - how many days are you going to be in Vancouver

Cheers

Dennis

Thank You dennis, I love to take Pictures and with this options i know i will take many:D

I am going to be in Vancouver for 4 days, And then i am going to ride back to seattle by car to spend a few more days there.

I know I will need more...:)

I had that on my list but I didn't mention the Museum of Anthropology because there is construction going on there at the present time and I am not sure what there operating status is - being out of the country for a month a lot can and usually does happen in Vancouver.

Cheers

Dennis

I had that on my list but I didn't mention the Museum of Anthropology because there is construction going on there at the present time and I am not sure what there operating status is - being out of the country for a month a lot can and usually does happen in Vancouver.

Cheers

Dennis

Is always good to know about renovations, in our last trip to NY the Guggenheim museum was under renovation, And you can´t see the outer structure.

I will check in the page of the museum about the renovation...thanks.:)

Look like the Museum is operating while it is undergoing a major renewal - here's a link to their web site and the renewal project.

http://www.moa.ubc.ca/renewal/index.php

Hope this helps solve the mystery

Cheers from snowy Vancouver

Dennis

I have to agree 100% with everything that Dennis listed, but would also add the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Gardens in Chinatown. Not huge, but very nice, and some good places for ethnic Chinese nearby. The one caveat being to go in the daytime, not evening or night, as there are some rather iffy areas nearby (as I found out the hard way one evening when getting back to VIA Rail for the train back to SEA).

Seattle Cruise lover - good suggestion - Joseph can fit it in with #12 on my list - and good advice about the area in the evening - generally more of a nuisance than a threat. A little like going from the Amtrak station in Seattle to Pier 66 with Pioneer Square to pass through.

Cheers from snowy Vancouver.

Dennis

Seattle Cruise lover - good suggestion - Joseph can fit it in with #12 on my list - and good advice about the area in the evening - generally more of a nuisance than a threat. A little like going from the Amtrak station in Seattle to Pier 66 with Pioneer Square to pass through.

Cheers from snowy Vancouver.

Dennis

I will add the Chinese Garden to my list...Well As I heard China Town in Vancouver is the second largest in America after San Francisco.:)

I have to agree 100% with everything that Dennis listed, but would also add the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Gardens in Chinatown. Not huge, but very nice, and some good places for ethnic Chinese nearby. The one caveat being to go in the daytime, not evening or night, as there are some rather iffy areas nearby (as I found out the hard way one evening when getting back to VIA Rail for the train back to SEA).

Hello, so you are from Seattle... I will go there also, i will have a car.

Please if you can Add you Top ten list most do in Seattle also, that will be great.:):):)

Gladly, Joseph. Depending on how much time you have here you might hit them all, or might not. Here goes.

1. Pike Place Public Market--watch them toss fish to the customers, and see all of the wonderful home grown and produced products/handcrafts.

2. The Space Needle: If the wind isn't blowing like it is today, a great view of the entire city from the top. Don't, however, eat in the restaurant. Very overpriced and not all that impressive.

3. The Underground Tour in Pioneer Square: A trip through Seattle's history, below the current city streets.

4. QWest Field and Safeco Field tours: Get a great look at the behind the scenes workings of our football/soccer and baseball stadia.

5. If you're an animal person, the Woodland Park Zoo and/or the Seattle Aquarium. Both very worthwhile.

6. The main Seattle Art Museum and the Olympic Sculpture Garden (the latter is near Pier 66 cruise terminal).

7. The International District: Our combination Chinatown, Little Tokyo, LIttle Saigon. Lots of great places to eat and interesting shops.

8. Pioneer Square and its shops--during daylight hours ONLY.

9. If you are here in the summer time, take the Lakes and Locks cruise on Argosy Cruises. It takes you through the Hiram Chittenden Locks and salmon ladders. Quite entertaining.

10. Depending upon when you are going to be here (I did not notice the date(s), there is almost always a festival of some sort going on at the Seattle Center.

If there are any other questions that I can answer for you, please feel free to ask. I write a tourist related blog on Seattle and can point you to some links for attractions and such if interested.

37663174-L.jpg

An example of the art in our International District--Dragon on a light pole.

Enjoy!

Gladly, Joseph. Depending on how much time you have here you might hit them all.

Enjoy!

Thanks Karen, I will be in Seattle for 3 nights, I have a reservation in the Westin Bellevue. I don't know how far is from Seattle and if this is a good location. I will have a car.

Plz tell me the web address of your Seattle blog...

You are a really excellent photograph, I check your photos and they are very very good:)

Thanks again.

Joseph, thank you for the compliment regarding my photos. I am in the process of updating/spiffing up my photo gallery, and your comments are much appreciated.

Seattle blog is http://kdaylyon.blogspot.com

Bellevue is about 20 miles from downtown Seattle across Lake Washington. If you choose to make the drive across the floating bridge during commute hours, be prepared for it to take upwards of an hour to make the trip, because the traffic can be brutal. Also, if there is bad weather/high winds, be prepared for the bridges to be temporarily closed (since they are just a few feet above the lake's waters and waves blow over them in storm conditions like we are having right now).

Again, if there is anything else that I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Joseph, thank you for the compliment regarding my photos. I am in the process of updating/spiffing up my photo gallery, and your comments are much appreciated.

Bellevue is about 20 miles from downtown Seattle across Lake Washington. If you choose to make the drive across the floating bridge during commute hours, be prepared for it to take upwards of an hour to make the trip, because the traffic can be brutal. Also, if there is bad weather/high winds, be prepared for the bridges to be temporarily closed (since they are just a few feet above the lake's waters and waves blow over them in storm conditions like we are having right now).

Again, if there is anything else that I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

I am a little confuse the hotel says that is only 6 miles from Seattle?

What is the better way to commute the 520 or the 90 ?

Thanks.

They only say that so that you will not feel so bad about the distance that you are driving...:) They keep trying to tell me that I am less than 0.3 of a mile from the cruise terminal at Pier 66--when I have walked it and KNOW that it is nearly 3 miles from my home.

During high traffic hours, it really does not matter which bridge you take, they are both bumper to bumper. During non-peak hours, the I-90 is better.

Excellent blog thank you...very informative I take a lot of notes.:)

One more question what about the Westin Seattle, Is there any place to park around? Like the street or something?

The parking in the hotel is a little expensive $35 dlls per day.:(

Any opinion about that hotel?

Joseph, street parking anywhere in downtown Seattle is hard to find and very expensive. It is metered at about $3.00 per hour, and there is a max time limit during daytime hours. After 6 pm and until 6 am, it is not metered, but there is not much of it to be had.

There are a couple of private parking lots in the area, one right across the street from the Westin at 5th and Virginia that I think is somewhere between $15 and $20 per day. There is also a parking lot very nearby for the Westlake Center, but I don't know its rates (I don't drive/park into downtown for just that reason).

Archived