VANCOUVER... For a first Timer.

josephml1

HELLO EVERYONE, I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT WHAT TO DO AND WHERE TO EAT IN VANCOUVER-....

Advice about a most do...

Advice about where to eat...could be italian, chinesse, seafood, steak, etc.

I will be there this January.

Thank You all.:) :)

Hi Joseph, and welcome in advance to Vancouver! Could you tell us a bit about yourself and your plans, so that we can offer you appropriate suggestions? When are you travelling? Where are you staying? Are you alone, a couple, a family? Vancouver has something for everyone, so I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit.

Hi Joseph, and welcome in advance to Vancouver! Could you tell us a bit about yourself and your plans, so that we can offer you appropriate suggestions? When are you travelling? Where are you staying? Are you alone, a couple, a family? Vancouver has something for everyone, so I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit.

First thank you for your help...

We are a young couple, we are going to travel this middle January.

We are going to stay in Downtown Vancouver we are considering this two hotels: Westin on Robson St or the Sheraton Wall center.

I need advice about a most do, how is the weather, a good restaurant no so expensive...etc.

I appreciate all the help.:)

Hey Joseph - we meet again - I followed your posts on the NewYork board - trust that your visit was as good as mine.

Vancouver in January will be wet and cool with the possibility of some snow - so dress accordingly.

Here are a couple of web site that might help you.

http://www.tourismvancouver.com or http://www.englishbay.com

Your choice of hotels is fine - they are located in different parts of the downtown core - so it depends on what you will be doing as to which one is the better place to stay although at the Sheraton you will be closer to Stanley Park and will have a broader choice of eating establishments.

If you like Greek food - I would recommend Stepho's on Davie - there is a lineup every night waiting to get in - arrive early before 5:30PM and it shouldn't be too long of a wait.

As for the Westin Grand on Robson - if you are there on a night that the Vancouver Canucks are playing the streets will be alive with fans etc.

You can check their schedule at http://canucks.nhl.com/ - all games are sold out so getting tickets won't be easy.

Will you be renting a car or relying on public transportation - the downtown core is relatively small - you can walk to most place in about 30 minutes.

Once you get your plans a little bit more definite I will be happy to answer more of your questions and there are a number of others here on cruise critic from Vancouver who will also be giving their advice on things to do etc.

As always, cheers

Dennis

Welcome in advance to Vancouver, Joseph. Rain or shine spend some time in Gastown, see the famous steam clock. Granville Island Mall is worth seeing. Take a horse ride through Stanley Park. We have some excellent Sushi restaurants, Tojo’s on Broadway is wonderful, no other place in all of North America could compare. What about Skiing, Grouse Mt. is just minutes away and Whistler is just two hours away. Do hope you have a wonderful stay in our city.

JOY, Leah

Hey Joseph - we meet again - I followed your posts on the NewYork board -

Vancouver in January will be wet and cool with the possibility of some snow - so dress accordingly.

As for the Westin Grand on Robson - if you are there on a night that the Vancouver Canucks are playing the streets will be alive with fans etc.

Will you be renting a car or relying on public transportation - the downtown core is relatively small - you can walk to most place in about 30 minutes.

As always, cheers

Dennis

Hello Dennis and thank you for the advice, we decide and we are going to stay in the Westin Grand.

We are going to rent a car and move around by Car...

We are also considering a trip to Whistler...but no so sure because we only have 4 days in Vancouver.

Thanks Again.

Welcome in advance to Vancouver, Joseph. Rain or shine spend some time in Gastown, see the famous steam clock. Granville Island Mall is worth seeing. Take a horse ride through Stanley Park. We have some excellent Sushi restaurants, Tojo’s on Broadway is wonderful, no other place in all of North America could compare. What about Skiing, Grouse Mt. is just minutes away and Whistler is just two hours away. Do hope you have a wonderful stay in our city.

JOY, Leah

We do some snowboard... Do you think a trip to Whistler will worth it if we only have 4 days in Vancouver?

How cold is the weather in january?

Thanks again for the advice.

Yes, a trip to Whistler would be worth it!. The weather there is usually great in January, lots of snow, due to a great deal of rain down in the lower levels. Hope you get sun while you are here, depends on the weather systems. If you ever get a chance come back in the summer, we usually get plenty of sun and the scenery is great.

JOY, Leah

Yes, a trip to Whistler would be worth it!. The weather there is usually great in January, lots of snow, due to a great deal of rain down in the lower levels. Hope you get sun while you are here, depends on the weather systems. If you ever get a chance come back in the summer, we usually get plenty of sun and the scenery is great.

JOY, Leah

I will follow you advice...

I really appreciate the help-:)

Joseph - some thoughts about going to Whistler - it is an all day trip and it can be very busy on the highway + the entire highway is being rebuilt in time for the Olympics in 2010 - parts of the project are completed but much work remains to be done - the speed limit has been reduced for almost the entire distance except for the new parts and there is little chance of passing slow moving traffic.

Normally this trip can be done in under 2 hours but the last time I drove it - a couple of months ago it would have been close to three hours because of delays etc.

Weather on the highway can be fickle - it can be raining on the coastal part but as soon as you move into the inland part the snow can come at you pretty heavy.

If you are used to winter driving you should be okay but be prepared for a long day - remember it will be dark by 4PM and this will also slow you down.

Here's a link to the Sea to Sky Highway project website - that's the formal name for the Whistler Highway - it will give you construction updates etc.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/seatosky/index.htm

If you just want some skiing or boarding - we have three mountains right here in Vancouver that provide excellent skiing and boarding opportunities and are easy to access - Cypress mountain is the favorite of the boarders as it has the longest runs - it is also one of the sites of the 2010 Winter Olympics -

Here's a link to Cypress - http://www.cypressmountain.com/index.asp

If the weather is clear you will get some spectacular views from the top of the mountain.

Hope this helps you.

Keep the questions coming

Did you enjoy your NYC stay - i had a great time and wore myself out walking everywhere

Joseph - some thoughts about going to Whistler -

Here's a link to Cypress - http://www.cypressmountain.com/index.asp

Did you enjoy your NYC stay - i had a great time and wore myself out walking everywhere

Cypress Looks like a great ski resort... Thank you for mention it.:)

About my trip to NY we had a great time if you want you can check my review in this link...and we can share experiences.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=662186

:):)

In the summer Squamish can be a destination in its self - there are lots of outdoor activities in the area but in winter it is more like a stopping point - gas, supplies for those heading to Whistler - having said that if it is nice clear day the drive up to Squamish is quite spectacular and well worth the time - make sure that you have lots of film or room on your digital media card.

As for Chinese restaurants - the best ones are probably now located in Richmond BC which is where the airport is located and which is over 40% Chinese - someone else will have to help answer that question for you Joseph.

as I don't eat out a great Chinese restaurants enough any more to give a proper answer.

Cheers

Dennis

Also i need and advice about good Chinesse restaurant in Vancouver.

If you want to stay in Vancouver, the best restaurants are NOT downtown. Since you'll have a car, this works in your favour.

A couple of the well-known Chinese restaurants that I like are Kirin Seafood on Cambie; and Sun Sui Wah on Main. You can't go wrong with either of these. They are very popular and because they cater to a broad cross-section of folks, they're pretty helpful if you need advice.

Other good Chinese restaurants in Vancouver are mostly smaller neighbourhood restaurants, frequented mainly by local Chinese/Asians. These are also generally cheaper than Kirin and Sun Sui Wah. If you don't mind small and homey, these are the ones I'd recommend:

One we currently like is Silver Palace at Main and 32nd.

Also, Koon Bo Seafood at 41st Avenue and Fraser.

___

There is a great tapas restaurant Bin 921 on Davies Street. I hope I got the name right. They opened a second restaurant I think on Broadway. It is a very small place with great wine and interesting small plates. Not too expensive - I have been to Vancouver twice and I am planning on going back next year and Bin 921 is my first choice. (From the outside it looks like something of a old time bar - but the food is fabulous.)

If you want to stay in Vancouver,

One we currently like is Silver Palace at Main and 32nd.

Also, Koon Bo Seafood at 41st Avenue and Fraser.

___

I am taking notes and printing maps about how to get there on Google maps...:D

Thank you very much.:)

There is a great tapas restaurant Bin 921 on Davies Street. I hope I got the name right. They opened a second restaurant I think on Broadway. It is a very small place with great wine and interesting small plates. Not too expensive - I have been to Vancouver twice and I am planning on going back next year and Bin 921 is my first choice. (From the outside it looks like something of a old time bar - but the food is fabulous.)

It sounds very good thank you for mention it....:)

The food in Vancouver is excellent. There are a number of very good Thai and Japanese restuarants downtown along and around Robson street - just a bit further west from your hotel. I know, you said Chinese - but just giving you some options here. The concierge at your hotel will be able to make some good reccomendations for you.

You will be <10 minute walk from the warehouse district of Vancouver (Yaletown), with lots of restaurants and bars. Fun area - the restaurants can be a bit pricey though.

Don't forget to spend some time in Stanley Park, and Granville Island.

Cheers

Robin

You will be <10 minute walk from the warehouse district of Vancouver (Yaletown), with lots of restaurants and bars. Fun area - the restaurants can be a bit pricey though.

Don't forget to spend some time in Stanley Park, and Granville Island.

Cheers

Robin

I am looking for a Bar with good happy hour and good appetizers.;)

Also what is Granville Island???

Here's a link to Granville island's web site:

http://granvilleisland.com/en/node

As for a bar and happy hour - there is a bar/lounge in your hotel - there is a neat pub around the corner in the Library Square complex and there is a pub restaurant across the street - for a little wilder action there is the Shark Club located in the Sandman Hotel about a block away. Most of your better restaurants have separate bar areas where you don't have to have a meal with a drink. While some bars will have some appy specials the liquor enforcement people are not big on the bars having "happy hours" so while they do exist most are not heavily advertised.

Found this link to the the Library Square pub - remember if there is a hockey game on it will be very busy as it is only a couple of blocks from the arena:

http://www.librarysquare.ca/

Here's another link to a downtown site where some of the hotels are located:

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index2.php?pier=vancouver-canada-place

Hope this helps - sorry I can't be of greater help on the pub scene - my better bar days are behind me and I live in another part of the downtown core

so I frequent the ones in that area.

Cheers

Dennis

The Westin Bayshore would be my choice - it's right on the water and next door to Stanley Park but it is a little bit further from some of the other attractions - you will have a car but parking came be a pain in the city. It's on that google map link that I showed you.

If you intend to walk to most of the downtown sites - the Grand would be better - if you are planning to do Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain/Cypress Mts the Bayshore is closer and easier for the car users to get onto the Lions Gate Bridge and across Burrard Inlet.

It should also be a little quieter at the Bayshore as you are away from the entertainment district noise.

Cheers

Dennis

The Westin Bayshore would be my choice - it's right on the water and next door to Stanley Park but it is a little bit further from some of the other attractions - you will have a car but parking came be a pain in the city. It's on that google map link that I showed you.

If you intend to walk to most of the downtown sites - the Grand would be better - if you are planning to do Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain/Cypress Mts the Bayshore is closer and easier for the car users to get onto the Lions Gate Bridge and across Burrard Inlet.

It should also be a little quieter at the Bayshore as you are away from the entertainment district noise.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis...I try to make a reservation on the Westin Bayshore... and there is not available for all the nights of my stay... so i will keep the Westin Grand.:)

Archived