VANCOUVER... For a first Timer.

josephml1

Joseph, street parking anywhere in downtown Seattle is hard to find and very expensive. It is metered at about $3.00 per hour, and there is a max time limit during daytime hours. After 6 pm and until 6 am, it is not metered, but there is not much of it to be had.

There are a couple of private parking lots in the area, one right across the street from the Westin at 5th and Virginia that I think is somewhere between $15 and $20 per day. There is also a parking lot very nearby for the Westlake Center, but I don't know its rates (I don't drive/park into downtown for just that reason).

So, with all that Info what do you think is better the Westin Seattle or the westin bellevue?

I read you are a Nurse, Can I ask you another question maybe You will laugh about it... Do you see the Tv show Grey´s Anatomy does the hospital "Seattle Grace" really exist?;) To be honest i am just curious.:)

For being close to things, the Seattle Westin is better. If you don't mind parking a half block or block away, it wouldn't be all that bad for you. I will be going by that parking lot this morning and will check the exact prices for you.

Yes, I watch Grey's Anatomy all the time. No, there is no such hospital here. It is somewhat of a play on our county hospital, Harborview Medical Center, which is run by the University of Washington.

For being close to things, the Seattle Westin is better. If you don't mind parking a half block or block away, it wouldn't be all that bad for you. I will be going by that parking lot this morning and will check the exact prices for you.

Yes, I watch Grey's Anatomy all the time. No, there is no such hospital here. It is somewhat of a play on our county hospital, Harborview Medical Center, which is run by the University of Washington.

Thank You very much for that info about the parking...:)

I read that they use the exterior of this Plaza "Fisher Plaza" as the exterior photo of the "Grey´s Anatomy Hospital"

"Fisher Plaza' is the home of KOMO TV which is the ABC station in Seattle - it is right across the street from the Space Needle and Seattle Center.

Cheers

Dennis

I will definitive take pictures there... :)

Thank You Dennis.

And, if you are into sports, there is a good sports bar/restaurant at Fisher Plaza called, appropriately enough, Sport Restaurant--great food, not outrageously priced, and you can sometimes find some of our local pro athletes hanging out there.

Ohh, sound good Talking about Bars... Maybe you can give an advice about a good bar with happy hour.:)

They ALL have happy hours around here, some of them even extended for many hours. Depends on what type of bar you like. I don't drink, but I pay attention.

The parking lot catercorner from the Westin costs $18.00 for the daytime hours, and $10.00 for overnight. I don't know, though, if it will still be there when you come into town or not, because there is a land use permit signboard on it now, I notice, which means they are probably planning on building another condo tower there.

They ALL have happy hours around here, some of them even extended for many hours. Depends on what type of bar you like. I don't drink, but I pay attention.

The parking lot catercorner from the Westin costs $18.00 for the daytime hours, and $10.00 for overnight. I don't know, though, if it will still be there when you come into town or not, because there is a land use permit signboard on it now, I notice, which means they are probably planning on building another condo tower there.

That info is going to be very useful, thank you for checking the price of the parking:)

Joseph, it is a 1.5 to 2 hour ferry trip from Tsawassen to Victoria, and about a 1/2 hour drive from downtown YVR to Tsawassen. Ferry does not land in Victoria proper, so it is about another 1/2 hour to get into the city proper. You can get information and make reservations at http://www.bcferries.com

Thank you Karen, One more question the only way to arrive to Victoria is by Ferry?

Thanks.:)

Another alternative to get to Victoria is to use public transit to get to Victoria. My son who lives in Victoria has used this method but not very

easy. You can take a day tour to Victoria from Vancouver .

Probably the cheapest way to do it if you want a 1 day visit.

Most hotel/motel prices go up almost 100% in the time of May to Sept.

Joseph - unless you are planning to stay overnight I wouldn't recommend a day trip in the winter time and here's why - this past weekend I was over on Vancouver Island - not Victoria but still needed a ferry - trip over on Friday was fine - trip home yesterday was rough with high seas - our ferry sailing was fine but several on the Victoria run were canceled and people had a two or three sailing wait to get back. There is still a backlog this morning.

High winds will cause some cancellations in the winter time and the weather can change quickly and also be regional - while the Victoria ferries are affected other runs may not be.

Hope this perspective helps with your plans.

Cheers

Dennis

Joseph - unless you are planning to stay overnight I wouldn't recommend a day trip in the winter time and here's why - this past weekend I was over on Vancouver Island - not Victoria but still needed a ferry - trip over on Friday was fine - trip home yesterday was rough with high seas - our ferry sailing was fine but several on the Victoria run were canceled and people had a two or three sailing wait to get back. There is still a backlog this morning.

High winds will cause some cancellations in the winter time and the weather can change quickly and also be regional - while the Victoria ferries are affected other runs may not be.

Hope this perspective helps with your plans.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank You Dennis.

I think I will go to Victoria on another time...

I will spend the time in Vancouver with the many atrations you mention before in this thread...:)

Thanks.

Joseph,

After having read this entire thread about an hour ago, I thought of you immediately when I spotted a great Vancouver hotel offer. Travelzoo has listed the Vancouver Hyatt Regency (which looked pretty terrific when we walked by last September) on special for CA $ 99 per night. The price is good until end of February, but must be booked by Jan. 8 (24 hr. cancellation is possible). If you go to the Hyatt website, use Special offer code TVL170. Just thought this might be interesting for you.:)

Joseph,

After having read this entire thread about an hour ago, I thought of you immediately when I spotted a great Vancouver hotel offer. Travelzoo has listed the Vancouver Hyatt Regency (which looked pretty terrific when

Just thought this might be interesting for you.:)

It is....

Thank you very much for sharing this excellent promotion :)

I will check the availability... Thanks again.Sharon :):)

Joseph - they are both good hotels - the Hyatt has been upgraded over the past several years while the Grand is a newer hotel property.

It really depends on what you are planning to do while you are in Vancouver - the Hyatt is closer to many of the restaurants and shopping in the downtown core.

Since you will have a car you might want to consider the cost of daily parking offered by the two hotels - there is no on street parking by the Hyatt as the streets by it are heavy commuter routes and most of the suburban buses depart from the area - you are also adjacent to the Burrard Sky train station if you want to use the rapid transit system to get around - there is a smaller shopping mall underneath the hotel along with several eating outlets which can come in handy if it is rainy and windy as it can be in January in Vancouver.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Joseph - they are both good hotels - the Hyatt has been upgraded over the past several years while the Grand is a newer hotel property.

It really depends on what you are planning to do while you are in Vancouver - the Hyatt is closer to many of the restaurants and shopping in the downtown core.

Since you will have a car you might want to consider the cost of daily parking offered by the two hotels - there is no on street parking by the Hyatt as the streets by it are heavy commuter routes and most of the suburban buses depart from the area - you are also adjacent to the Burrard Sky train station if you want to use the rapid transit system to get around - there is a smaller shopping mall underneath the hotel along with several eating outlets which can come in handy if it is rainy and windy as it can be in January in Vancouver.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you very much Dennis, all the info is very useful..As always you are very kind and I appreciate all the help.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Most on street parking is not allowed Between 6 - 10AM (morning rush hour) and 3-7PM (evening rush) . In some places there is no parking during the night (11PM - 5AM) for street work. Any meters on the street cost about 1 -2 dollars per hour. Privately operated parking lots usuallu close at midnight and don't open until 7AM .:eek:

Privately operated parking lots usually close at midnight and don't open until 7AM .:eek:

How is the weather right now? Is there snow?

I will be there In January.

Another question where I can have good season sale shopping in Vancouver and also in Seattle?

Archived