what are cunard playing at

zider

on the qe2 and the qm2 one can use a wi laptop and can make use of the free cwc internet time yet on the queen victoria you have to pay be wire free to use your free internet time you have to use one of the ships computers this is crazy

on the qe2 and the qm2 one can use a wi laptop and can make use of the free cwc internet time yet on the queen victoria you have to pay be wire free to use your free internet time you have to use one of the ships computers this is crazy

It makes no sense at all. Given Cunard's excellent track record at disseminating information, I think it's a mistake. I think they meant to say that you have to pay if you use their email system instead of logging on to a web-based email. That's the rule for QM2, and I can't see them making QV more restrictive.

Kathy

spoke to cunard uk today it is true it is in the cwc benifits section on cunards website

And confirmed when I was on the QM2 in October at the time the new benefit packages were launched. It's in the brochure I was given too.

K.

This is from the World Club FAQ section on the Cunard US website :

Does my internet credit apply to in-stateroom emails and/or wireless?

The internet credit does not apply to emails sent and/or received via the interactive television in your stateroom. It does apply to wireless access onboard Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth 2. However, your credit does not apply to wireless access onboard Queen Victoria

So I guess I can leave the new laptop home. Less to pack.

I can't believe it. What ARE they thinking??? I can see not having it apply to their email system, which is charged per email, not per minute/hour. But why not let you use your own wireless laptop? If you use Cunard's computers, you can't download pictures from a digital camera to send as attachments. You can surf the net, but you can't save anything you find because the computers don't accept any external media.

Maybe they figure you won't bother to use up your internet time if you can't do it on your own computer, so they won't have to spend so much money on the satellite connection.

stupid, stupid decision.

Kathy

But why not let you use your own wireless laptop?

Someone on one of the early voyages should get the gen on the reasons behind this - it does seem bizarre - that the newest ship should have the worst internet access.......:eek:

Peter

(The information is also confirmed in the November 2007 Cunarder.....which also lists 'Lord' Jeffrey Archer as a QV speaker in August 2008.....who 'found notoriety both for his colourful political career and for a string of international best sellers'......no mention of his 4 year prison sentence there then.......at least the article on the QE2 gets the naming story right (finally)!

Someone on one of the early voyages should get the gen on the reasons behind this - it does seem bizarre - that the newest ship should have the worst internet access.......:eek:

Peter

(The information is also confirmed in the November 2007 Cunarder.....which also lists 'Lord' Jeffrey Archer as a QV speaker in August 2008.....who 'found notoriety both for his colourful political career and for a string of international best sellers'......no mention of his 4 year prison sentence there then.......at least the article on the QE2 gets the naming story right (finally)!

Perhaps "colourful political career" is meant to include the prison sentence? They left out a mention of his movie career (cameo as himself in Bridget Jones's Diary).

Kathy

I can't believe it. What ARE they thinking??? I can see not having it apply to their email system, which is charged per email, not per minute/hour. But why not let you use your own wireless laptop? If you use Cunard's computers, you can't download pictures from a digital camera to send as attachments. You can surf the net, but you can't save anything you find because the computers don't accept any external media.

Maybe they figure you won't bother to use up your internet time if you can't do it on your own computer, so they won't have to spend so much money on the satellite connection.

stupid, stupid decision.

Kathy

Here is a tip for saving things from the web. You can copy and paste a link to a webpage into an e-mail and send it to yourself using your hotmail ,aol, yahoo etc account

Denise

QUOTE: Here is a tip for saving things from the web. You can copy and paste a link to a webpage into an e-mail and send it to yourself using your hotmail ,aol, yahoo etc account

===================

Yes, here's what I do before going on a cruise. I send myself 2 E-mails. #1 has the handfull of E-mail addresses I use the most. #2 has the sites I need to... or might want to visit during the trip, like weather, sea states, town or motel or air sites... etc. Then if/when my favorites don't appear, I have much of what I need right there.

When I was on Queen Mary 2 I had my laptop. I was able to compose my emails and then log on in Connections and send them. I used minutes which I purchased - though not as many had I composed on their machines. I was also able to send photos which I downloaded from my camera to my laptop and then included in the emails.

From what you all seem to be saying is that this will not be possible on Queen Victoria? I will have to compose on their machines and send (with no photos) to my friends.

I understand their wanting to push their minutes, but for 99 days I would have been using plenty of minutes. I hate it when people change the rules in midstream.....don't you Alice?

When I was on Queen Mary 2 I had my laptop. I was able to compose my emails and then log on in Connections and send them. I used minutes which I purchased - though not as many had I composed on their machines. I was also able to send photos which I downloaded from my camera to my laptop and then included in the emails.

From what you all seem to be saying is that this will not be possible on Queen Victoria? I will have to compose on their machines and send (with no photos) to my friends.

I understand their wanting to push their minutes, but for 99 days I would have been using plenty of minutes. I hate it when people change the rules in midstream.....don't you Alice?

My QV WC docs arrived today. Wireless internet is available in various locations throughout the new ship. The only difference is that you cannot use your free minutes for wireless access on Queen Victoria. You should be able to compose on your laptop as usual but pay for the time, just as before the benefit package was introduced.

K.

Whew! I never heard of free minutes. I paid for all of mine...so I guess what I never knew about I won't miss.

Free minutes are given in different amounts to various levels of world club (gold, platinum, diamond). Since they let you use those minutes for a wireless laptop on QE2 and QM2, I do know about it and will miss it if I sail on QV.:(

Kathy

Archived