Be able to communicate home?????

trulyfree

Hi Everyone,

I am leaving this Sunday on the Valor to Grand Cayman, Belize, Isle Roatan, Cozumel. I need to be able to call home or email. I would prefer to call. What is the cheapest way to talk to someone? Should I do it off the boat at port? I hear to use the internet it is alot of money and way to much to use the phone. My cell phone is a work phone so that nicks that out.

Any ideas?

:confused:

Get a calling card in the islands and phone from there. Don't walk up to a payphone and call with a credit card or you'll really pay. You can always ask your room or dining steward where the best place to call from is, since they all know this.

Email on the ship isn't brutally expensive, but you wouldn't want to spend a lot of time online.

Don't bother with those calling cards you purchase here in the US as they don't work in those foreign phones. You'll need to purchase individual calling cards in each port of call. That can take time and is expensive. Email is the cheapest as you can compose your mail off line, then sign in and click send for all your mail. That should take you less than a minute to do. As long as any emails you receive are short, you could read them in less than a couple of minutes. Internet, including email, starts at $.50 a minute, far less than the $1.99 a minute or more than calling from a payphone.

When I went to "HELL" a few years back, I bought a calling card from the post office there and made a couple of calls from the payphone there back to the States and told everyone I was calling from "HELL".:cool:

Did you tell any of them you were just calling to confirm their reservations? LOL

We always like the email route because you do not have to count on someone being there to answer the phone.... especially when we are in a time zone hours apart. But in the Caribbean that will not be a problem. But we still like email there too for the convenience and we are able to do it at anytime including just before going to bed.

Your question does not have a simple answer. For the most part, today's cruise ship's do have some kind of cell service onboard- usually very expensive. I suggest posting on the forum for your cruiseline. Also, you will need to contact your cell provider to verify that your phone (and your package) will accomodate international calls.

With our package, texting is a lot less expensive than calling- so we frequently text our family (for ex- that we've arrived safely, etc). Also, remember that national (USA) plans include PR and St Thomas!

Archived