Travel Warning for Baja Mexico

PCruzer

CNN ran a story this morning on crime in Baja Mexico. It said that it is becoming more violent and that there have been numerous tourist buses that have been held up. We have a 10-day Sea of Cortez cruise booked for this February out of San Diego. This is making me really nervous. Has anyone been to this area lately? Did you feel safe? I usually feel that a ship-sponsored shore excursion is relatively safe. Is this whole CNN being blown out of proportion?

I just returned from 10 days in Cabo and had no problems at all. We have alot of friends that live there and did not hear anything.

We were on the 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise in April and did not have any problems then either.

Did they say where this occured?:confused:

They either did not say exactly where it happened or he just didn't hear it. The actual CNN story centered on a guy & his girlfriend who were at a beach in their truck which was locked. Someone starting banging on the window yelling for them to open the door. The couple were robbed and the girlfriend was repeatedly raped. The CNN story then mentioned that violent crime in Baja Mexico is prevalent and that numerous tourist buses have been stopped and robbed.

They either did not say exactly where it happened or he just didn't hear it. The actual CNN story centered on a guy & his girlfriend who were at a beach in their truck which was locked. Someone starting banging on the window yelling for them to open the door. The couple were robbed and the girlfriend was repeatedly raped. The CNN story then mentioned that violent crime in Baja Mexico is prevalent and that numerous tourist buses have been stopped and robbed.

If we let every "warning, not safe" story aired by Fox or CNN we wouldn't leave our yard, heck we may not even leave the house. don't eat this, cause there was a case of XXX poisining, don't cruise cause there is crime and people get thrown overboard or fall: hotel rooms are filthy, if you only knew and how bout your favorite restaurant? do you have any ideas how many germs are lirking in the cupboards? Oh and don't forget the bed bugs in some of the high end hotels as well as cruise ships? I guess I could go on and on? I am sure there is a great deal of crime in all of Mexico, but what about our major cities in america? Just watch where you are going, stay in groups, and don't wander too far away from the tourist area; keep your eyes on your purse, keep wallets etc in front pockets or wallet belts.

Now I will climb down from me lecture perch for today. LOL

They were in their locked truck? Why not just drive away? That story doesn't make sense.

As far as being safe- I feel a lot safer in Cabo than I do in most cities in the US. Most of the towns and villages that you will be seeing are very peaceful. Don't worry.

If we let every "warning, not safe" story aired by Fox or CNN we wouldn't leave our yard, heck we may not even leave the house. don't eat this, cause there was a case of XXX poisining, don't cruise cause there is crime and people get thrown overboard or fall: hotel rooms are filthy, if you only knew and how bout your favorite restaurant? do you have any ideas how many germs are lirking in the cupboards? Oh and don't forget the bed bugs in some of the high end hotels as well as cruise ships? I guess I could go on and on? I am sure there is a great deal of crime in all of Mexico, but what about our major cities in america? Just watch where you are going, stay in groups, and don't wander too far away from the tourist area; keep your eyes on your purse, keep wallets etc in front pockets or wallet belts.

Now I will climb down from me lecture perch for today. LOL

Good post but you forgot to mention staph infections and alien abductions. The world is only safe if you stay in bed with the covers over your head.

With that said, I love mass media travel and cruise ship hysteria. It just brings down prices.

that kinda of crime is a common occurance in every major city..:(

what ive heard is that the mexican police are now making a greater

effort along with the military to curb crime s against tourist..

this action following complaint s from american investor s who wish

to develope the baja region..among them was donald trump..

as for the notorious crook d cop s who like to shake down tourist..if

they re found to have done so ..they transfer d to the battle zone

with the drug cartels :D

advise was that if you are stop d by a mexican police officer..ask to be

taken to the local police station..

I have been travelling to Mexico for various years, not only on cruises but also overland and visited various cities and regions.

NEVER did I feel unsafe in Mexico, even when I was just with my daughter, be it in public transport or just walking around.

I didn't see the article, or mention of the CNN coverage - and I monitor Mexico news closely. Such a report wouldn't surprise me, though. For all of those people who say things like it's normal and you'll find certain crimes everywhere, well, I don't know where you live, or the conditions you live under . . . but there is a rate of crime and types of crimes occurring in Mexico that don't happen in my neighborhood, or places I hang-out. So I think it's not foolish to express concern about these things. We can weigh what we learn against our own personal standards of acceptance, and act accordingly when in a port or area where crimes such as these are being reported.

lile anywhere you go in the US Europe & Mexico, dont do anything stupid,..dont flash money or jelwery, dont go down dark streets,watch your purses, wallet, and HAVE FUN!stufff can happen anywhere any time..

Just in Mexico and not a problem. Can't say it any better.

I didn't see the article, or mention of the CNN coverage - and I monitor Mexico news closely. Such a report wouldn't surprise me, though. For all of those people who say things like it's normal and you'll find certain crimes everywhere, well, I don't know where you live, or the conditions you live under . . . but there is a rate of crime and types of crimes occurring in Mexico that don't happen in my neighborhood, or places I hang-out. So I think it's not foolish to express concern about these things. We can weigh what we learn against our own personal standards of acceptance, and act accordingly when in a port or area where crimes such as these are being reported.

acting sensibly is one thing, panicing is quite another.

Nita

Thanks for all the replies. I was mostly concerned about the mention by CNN that numerous tour buses loaded with tourists have been targeted, boarded, and the people robbed & worse. The news story also said that these robberies rarely make the news in the states because most people don't bother to report them (?) Anyway, although I have to say that the spot on CNN did upset me, after reading the many responses here and on the Holland America board, we have decided not to cancel. So, thank you all for your replies. We are very much looking forward to this cruise!

Thanks for all the replies. I was mostly concerned about the mention by CNN that numerous tour buses loaded with tourists have been targeted, boarded, and the people robbed & worse. The news story also said that these robberies rarely make the news in the states because most people don't bother to report them (?) Anyway, although I have to say that the spot on CNN did upset me, after reading the many responses here and on the Holland America board, we have decided not to cancel. So, thank you all for your replies. We are very much looking forward to this cruise!

We American are notorious for being bad with geography. All of our maps identify the entire piece of Mexico just below California as "Baja California". In reality, that thumb of land is divided into two Mexican states: "Baja California" to the north (Tijuana) and "Baja Caliornia Sur" to the south (La Paz & Cabo). Here's a link to the story http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1927986/posts?page=108 and you will note that the attack(s) take place in north Baja, not in the region where your ship travels.

I want to echo all of the others that have pointed out that caution should exercised whenever we travel. At the same time, we have to use that same level of caution when we hear a small portion of a news clip and run off to tell the world that the sky is falling.

The cruise industry has proven time and again that they will not port in areas where passengers may be put at risk due to political unrest or rampant crime.

Enjoy your cruise!

Check out http://www.eventsatsea.com . It's just what it says it is - a listing (with archives) of all the 'events' pertaining to sea travel over the year(s). It includes incidents that happen on land/shore excursions. I didn't see any references to being held up on a bus tour, but I've never been looking for that. It's a good eye opener if you want to be prepared for any possibilities...

Archived