Jan-March - lots of activities canceled due to weather?

rickandpat

We're thinking of cruising during the worst of the Michigan winter, Jan-March. I understand that rain is more likely at this time, and there are NO guarantees on the weather at any time of the year. But if we go then are we likely to have terrible diving the whole week, other excursions cancelled half the week, and rough sailing for the majority of the trip? Several years ago we stayed at a gorgeous resort on the Big Island of Hawaii for 4 days in Dec., and the high winds put a huge damper on watersports the whole time. The kids and I dealt with it and had a good time, but my husband likes to be active constantly and had a hard time with it. So what was your experience at this time of year?

We cruised in January and came in on the tail end of a typhoon and not a single event was delayed or cancelled. We did dive in a different location on Huahine because of the storm surge, but we dove off of a coral cliff and I can't imagine that the other spot was more spectacular than this one was.

Unless you have a major weather issue, life pretty much goes on as usual there whether its raining or not. Take a rain poncho or umbrella for the short showers or when you're out of the water and enjoy Paradise.

Charlie

We cruised in March of 2004 and except for one morning of rain - our second day in Bora Bora - we had wonderful weather with sunshine all the time. We did the Cook Islands itinerary and we were able to tender into Raratonga, I think we were the first for the year.

We returned in June this year and the weather was just as hot and humid as it had been in March, 3 years earlier.

Jennie

we've gone twice in January and are going again this coming January, and nothing has ever been cancelled on the FP islands. we've yet to make it to Rarotonga, maybe this time. except for showers, rain has not been a problem for us.

Archived