Packing snacks

newcruisemom

Hi - Has anyone ever packed snacks (goldfish, ritz bits) in their luggage for their kids? I'm not sure what's available on the Explorer of the Seas for kids to snack on.

Also, would you pack your formula can or bring it with you in a carryon bag?

Thanks!!

Hi - Has anyone ever packed snacks (goldfish, ritz bits) in their luggage for their kids? I'm not sure what's available on the Explorer of the Seas for kids to snack on.

Thanks!!

Oh yeah definitely pack some favorite snacks. It just doesn't hurt to have some on hand when traveling with a little one. Even though there will be lots of food on the ship, there may be times when a snack will be good. When you're in the cabin getting ready you can hand over a few goldfish to buy your self a few minutes. Or you can put a few in front of the kiddo at dinner in case the food isn't there fast enough.

I'm not sure about the formula questions, but I've never had a bag lost that I actually brought to the ship and handed over to a porter myself. My bags have always shown up in my room either before or after dinner.

Although I've heard stories of people not getting their luggage until after dinner I've never experienced it. It might depend on when you arrive at the port. If you arrive close to departure you might have an increased chance. Either way I would pack that days formula in your carry on and the rest in your regular luggage.

I would doubt it would be lost getting from the porter to the ship. Just be sure to give a tip and nothing will happen.

As for snacks I have a two year old and my DH is having a tizzy but the snacks are coming I promise when I come back I'll be able to report how grateful he was that I prepare for all contingencies.

I have one backpack for each child. In it holds snacks, toys, special blankies.

One time I packed a can of powdered fomula in my suitcase and when it got to the room it was crushed. So formula I started carrying it on too.

Also, every morning I stop by the breakfast buffet and grab a few boxes of cereal.

I have one backpack for each child. In it holds snacks, toys, special blankies.

One time I packed a can of powdered fomula in my suitcase and when it got to the room it was crushed. So formula I started carrying it on too.

Also, every morning I stop by the breakfast buffet and grab a few boxes of cereal.

Wish I could do that. Probably could for all but his drinks. Unfortunetly he doesn't react well to apple juice and won't drink water from a sippy only a cup with or without a straw which isn't alway convenient so I need to bring the water with a splash of fruit juice for him. Only other options on the ship are lemonade and ice tea neither of which I feel are appropriate for him.

I had brought on Cheerios and other snacks in plastic containers, as well as juice boxes, sippy cups, toddler utensils. Also a small container of dishwashing detergent so I can wash the items in the bathroom sink. If you're flying in, pad in an extra day prior to the cruise so you can plan a shopping trip to get whatever you didn't want to schlep on the plane. (also it's nice not to be trying rush into a embarkation city the morning of your cruise, especially with a small child)

Also bring some packaged goodies as some ports don't allow you to bring unsealed food off the ship. (this means anything not packaged by a manufacturer)

Thanks!!

We once packed snacks and juice boxes--when the boys were 4 and 7.

A waste of luggage space...

As there is tons to choose from and with a fountain card they could drink whatever--whenever..

A baby on formula would be the only caveat I'd make--but most babies are off formula before a year old, right? If your child is on soy milk etc--I know you can get that onboard about any ship...

I would say it depends. My son won't be using the fountain card because I won't give my 2 year old soda. Trying to put that option off as long as I can. I would say most lines have apple juice available, but not all lines have it available all day. Same issue with milk. My son reacts to apple juice and milk so I am bringing the only brand of flavored water I can get him to drink. My son won't drink regular water in his sippy and it's not always convenient for me to hold a cup with a straw for him.

As for the snacks I would bring some for the first day and maybe for your excursions because they are prepackaged. But then you can grab things like boxes of cheerios at breakfast.

I threw a can of powdered formula in with my sons car seat when I was taking him as a lap baby and it did just fine but I've seen how they throw luggage either on Carnival or NCL and I always think how I pack for cruising after witnessing that.

DD is 12YO and we still pack some snackage for her.

1) favorites are not always available. So if there is something that your kid really loves, it may be worth bringing it with. There are few choices for crackers and really no pretzels.

2) for carrying off in ports, prepackaged is the way to go. Many ports will not allow you to carry off food that is not packaged (so no snitching off the buffets).

3) Some snack packages in the luggage on the way there means some "free" space on the way back for souveniers!:D

4) Don't forget to have some pre-packaged snacks in your carryon for your flights each way. Few flights supply any sort of food these days. We just got back and had made a MAD dash in DTW to make a connecting flight -- good thing I had some crackers in my carryon since our delayed flight in meant no time to stop for anything to eat in the airport.

Archived