How strict are cruise lines on pregnancy policy?

purplegirl

Flame me if you want but I am going to say what I am going to say...

If I was having a normal, healthy pregnancy, I dont think my OB would have any problem what so ever of writing me a note, for anyone whom asks, saying that I was just starting my 25th week of pregnancy.

If you tell the cruise line that you are going to be over the 26 week mark, they will tell you that you cannot cruise.

What they dont know wont hurt them!

Some cruiselines stop you sooner than that but I'm not sure which one it is. I think I read on this board somewhere though that one was 22 weeks. I was put on complete and total bed rest at 28 weeks with no warnings signs of complications before then so be careful with trying to pull a fast one and no I'm not flaming you. Also, my OBGYN would not have lied on the number of weeks. He made that quite clear when I asked for a note for traveling on a plane in case I was asked. I wasn't. This was 6 weeks before I was put on bed rest.

Just remember though, the reason they don't want you to cruise past a certain point is for the safety of you and your baby. If you go into premature labor there are no facilities on board to accommodate you. Is it really worth the risk of your baby having possibly impaired health for the rest of its life because you wanted to go a month after the recommended period - or even your baby's life? This is the harshest reasoning of course, but still its a consideration. You give up drinking and smoking while pregnant (if you did it before that is) so why take any other risks with your and your baby's health. Obviously this is a decision only you can make on the "fudging" the date but please take into consideration the risks that go with it. Its the same reason they only allow babies of a certain age to cruise. If they can't provide you with quality care in case of an emergency... well then....

I would never ask a doctor to lie. I doubt a reputable doctor is going to his license on the line so that someone could cruise. I was tempted to do this when I discovered, after booking, that the cut off was 24 weeks (I believe in 2000). Anyway, I called the cruise line and they made an exception if i bought the $ 250 insurance policy in the event that I had to be airlifted off the ship.

i just got done with a carnival cruise and the cut off date was 28 weeks, in which i was on week 27. im very small this time around so noone including airlines said a word, however you also need to consider what ports you are going to (such as certain parts of mexico such as costa maya) and tell your dr where you are going so they can tell you if it is safe due to diseases and such.. also keep in mind the weather..example in tropical places such as jamaica it is miserable if you are preggo. the humidity makes your feet swell and it makes it hard to breathe (i am in shape and in my 20s and it was a tad bothesome there for me) so make sure you bring some bottled water to the differnt ports...

Don't worry about pregnancy and heat. I was WAY pregnant with my son (he was born labor day weekend 9/2/00) and I didn't mind summer at all. You will love the saltwater pools on the ship- floating and swimming takes all the pressure off your back. The walking on the ship will be really good for you. Walk at least one mile every day on the deck and you will not have any circulation problems. My feet and ankles never swelled and I weighed 190 pounds by the end!

You will be in a swimsuit and shorts most of the time and can frollic in the Ocean etc. Refrain from eating on land if possible but don't be paranoid- I've eaten on all the islands and have never gotten sick. Mexico might be the exception to this rule. The food is free on the ship and they sell bottled water on the ship before you get off.

Just curious whether others have found the cruise lines to be exactly strict with no flexibility on their pregnancy policies or not? Thanks!

I am always surprised when yet another pregnancy debate thread begins.

*sigh*

Cruise lines don't just make rules to inconvenience you; they are trying to reduce their liability and keep passengers safe. Follow the rules of your cruise line. Don't ask your doctor to write a note that lies about how far along you are; any doctor would do that is a fool, and opens themselves up for a potential lawsuit if anything goes wrong.

If you will be too far along to cruise, according to your cruise line's policies, reschedule or cancel. Don't lie and possibly put yourself and/or your baby in danger and inconvenience a ship full of thousands of passengers because of your selfishness.

Archived