How far is the closest grocery store from port in FLL?

cruisingcouple07

Hi all,

We are from Canada and we are flying to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday. We have the HAL shuttle meeting us at the airport but we are wondering how far to the closest grocery store from the port?. We are thinking of taking a taxi there once the HAL shuttle drops us off.

Thanks for any help

the port is in an industrial part of town. It depends what you are looking for- if it is just beer and sodas- there is probably a place close by. I'd get in a taxi and tell him what you want and ask how much the taxi ride will cost.

The taxi drivers are used to a $ 15 fare. That is the cost from the airport to the ship. So be prepared to pay at least $ 15 to have someone take you to a store, wait and drive you back.

I hate to say this but cab drivers in Florida don't speak good English and this is problematic. I'd skip the grocery store.

Hi

I am a Canadian I know that Taxi drivers hardly speak English there mostly Spanish/Mexican - sometimes we have directed them to where we want to go as they dont even know where you want to go as they dont really understand you sometimes. That is of not all taxi drivers but I would say the majority... hahahah Stores are only about 10 mins or so from the port by Cab -

When we lived in Ft. Lauderdale we went to the Publix on 17th St causeway. It is a great store. Also a drug store is next door.

You can see the port from there ,it is just across the street, although the entrance to the port is off US 1, three minutes away. Most cab drivers in Ft. Laud speak English--Miami is more of a problem there. The port area is industrial but not the areas around it.

There is also a good liquor store across from Publix if you want to get wine or champagne to bring aboard as well. The $40 bottle you may buy there is $ 90-120 on the ship.

When we lived in Ft. Lauderdale we went to the Publix on 17th St causeway. It is a great store. Also a drug store is next door.

You can see the port from there ,it is just across the street, although the entrance to the port is off US 1, three minutes away. Most cab drivers in Ft. Laud speak English--Miami is more of a problem there. The port area is industrial but not the areas around it.

There is also a good liquor store across from Publix if you want to get wine or champagne to bring aboard as well. The $40 bottle you may buy there is $ 90-120 on the ship.

I agree with hemingway7. The Publix is in the shopping center behind the Embassy Suites hotel. Only a few minutes from the port. Also in the same shopping complex is a "Total Wine" store if you're looking for any kind of adult beverage. Their prices and stock are the best. It may be too late but you'd be better off taking a cab instead of the HAL transfer. It would be quicker, cheaper and more convenient. You might still consider it even if you can't cancel your transportation.

Thanks so much, We had our transfers included in our cruise airfare.

We are planning on going to buy wine at the wine store since it is sooo much cheaper in the US than in Canada. We are staying in a SA suite and we will want to have our favourites available for the verandha and also to share with our table mates.

Thanks for the tips! great advice!

I agree with hemingway7. The Publix is in the shopping center behind the Embassy Suites hotel. Only a few minutes from the port. Also in the same shopping complex is a "Total Wine" store if you're looking for any kind of adult beverage. Their prices and stock are the best. It may be too late but you'd be better off taking a cab instead of the HAL transfer. It would be quicker, cheaper and more convenient. You might still consider it even if you can't cancel your transportation.

A couple weeks ago, it looked like the Publix and the Drug Store next door were closed for renovations...

Archived