What is the BEST thing about HAL? (or Worst?)

Richjoxyz

Best: The service staff in every department that are well trained, and appear genuinely pleased to serve you without the "motive" of a tip. This has been consistent in our last several cruises, from the wine steward "Leo" doing card tricks for our table to Dolf our room steward that did so many of those extra touches. While I live in the "real" world and know that extra tipping is an option - it is great to do it when the individuals you interact with don't act like they expect it.

Worst: So called art flowing out all over the public areas. What a turnoff to have to work your way around the prep for the art auctions. I was very pleased to see that our last time on the Oosterdam, the art seller had a designated area and gallery, which both provided a much better way to view the artwork, as well as keeping the ship tidy and uncluttered.

The gracious service is what makes the whole experience for me. I just love it that I can have a whole week or 10 days without a single service provider calling me "dear", "honey" or "sweetie". That fact alone makes me want to add to the automatic tip---and I do.

Double post------the first one timed out and failed and then turned up later------sorry 'bout that!!

See that is a very intresting... The Filipino's on CCL are know for NOT being too nice. I wonder if it more of cruise line thing then where the people are from....

Interesting. I have found the crew onboard Carnival to be quite nice, just not as posished as those on HAL. So often, it seems, the attitude of the crew, is a reflection of the passengers they serve.

BEST: Our three cruise have all been with HAL, so I really can't compare. But, without a doubt I can say the best part is the staff :o . When we're on board they make us feel like we're "part-owners" of the ship. The night after a long day, when our waiter warmly greets us at our dining table, always caps another day of wonderful service.

Worst: Our only disappointment was the losing the laundry room on the Vista ships. Basically we missed the iron, not the washing machines. Just for a little "touch-up" ironing. They don't allow travel irons and getting the entire garment pressed (and waiting a day for it) is an inconvenience.

We normally cruise Royal Caribbean, but we have chosen an April 4th cruise for 10 days to the Eastern Carribean out of Ft. Lauderdale. It was a toss up between a very large floating city on the Royal Caribbean line or a smaller real ship, so the Maasdam won. After reading all of this thread, we are very excited about our choice. Great thread.

We normally cruise Royal Caribbean, but we have chosen an April 4th cruise for 10 days to the Eastern Carribean out of Ft. Lauderdale. It was a toss up between a very large floating city on the Royal Caribbean line or a smaller real ship, so the Maasdam won. After reading all of this thread, we are very excited about our choice. Great thread.

Hello Compass Rose---we will be on the same cruise as you. We have been on the Maasdam before and loved the whole experience. Why don't you go over to the Roll Call Board and add your name to the list. I think there are three names there at this point.

Only problem I've experienced is website excursion tool not working for me.

We have had problems with the excursion tool as well. While it shows the ports, and the open/close works, the popups often have no text in them at all. This problem comes and goes. We are using Firefox, usually not on Windows, so it may be a browser issue.

*begin rant*

Having been a website developer before retirement, I get very angry at such bad websites as those for most cruise lines, as well as for the airlines. Simply inexcusable.

*end rant*

After reading this thread, we are REALLY looking forward to our first HAL cruise. The views expressed have been very interesting, and it sure sounds like we will enjoy this cruise line.

Bob

Archived