Express Valet Luggage Service

We used the Express Valet Luggage Service on disembarkation from the 11/11 sailing of the Vision of the Seas. Only two of our three bags arrived at our destination (even though we were traveling nonstop). It appeared there had been a tag mix-up since the other person's bag arrived at our west coast airport with our baggage tag on it (instead of the east coast airport where it should have gone). We don't know whether the mix-up was caused by the ship or from LAX. The airport baggage claim personnel were able to figure out where the east coast bag should have gone and gave us instructions to wait a few days and hope our bag showed up from the east coast. Luckily, our bag showed up in two days. Yea!

We learned two lessons from this: we won't be using the valet service again and we were glad we took the time to put all our name, address and phone information inside our piece of luggage (in case that's the only way to identify it).

I am glad to hear you got your luggage back. I would have been really upset.

Did they explain how the other persons luggage got your tag on it?

I just used the service again and I received everything in a packet in my cabin.

The airline Express tags already had our names, flight numbers and airport codes printed on them. (Which I checked with my boarding passes and luggage tag receipts that were also in the packet)

I just had to fill in my name and address on the ship color code tags.

I placed the airline Express tags and the ships color code tags, on my own luggage in the cabin before putting them out in the hallway.

How could the tags have gotten switched?

We used the express valet service on Vision at the end of our last cruise (Alaska). We experienced no problems, even tho our flight from Seattle back to Austin got messed up with delays out of Seattle and missed connections in Denver, getting us back a day late. And when we got off the plane in Austin...there they were. I'll use it again if the need arises.

Does US Air offer the boarding pass and valet services for luggage to the airport from the ship? I hadn't noticed that airline as one of the ones mentioned that offer this service.

Thanks!

Sassyfrass (heading to the southern caribbean in January on the Adventure)

We used the valet service from PR on AOS, and to us it worked slick and we look forward to using it again.:) Like a previous poster, we received all our tags the night before and placed them on the luggage ourselves. We told the porter in baggage claim (at the ship) that we were using valet service, and he wisked us right there no problem:)...which airline did you use?

Sorry to hear it didn't work so well for you.

Does US Air offer the boarding pass and valet services for luggage to the airport from the ship? I hadn't noticed that airline as one of the ones mentioned that offer this service.

Thanks!

Sassyfrass (heading to the southern caribbean in January on the Adventure)

When I sailed out of San Juan, US Air did not participate in the luggage valet program. They did have a booth though to check in at the pier. I do not know if it is still in use though.

I think this is a great service. We got off the Radiance a month ago at 9 am, had a 5:30 pm flight out of LAX. Plus, we had plans to meet my cousin's daughter in LA for a nice lunch. I was very concerned about what to do about the bags until this option showed up. Put them outside our door the last night, and saw them all show up on the conveyor belt at O'Hare the next night. Of course, wifey was very worried we would never see them again, but you never know when they might get lost.

Unfortunately, USAir was not an option for the luggage valet program in San Juan although they did have a booth at the dock. Was on Adventure of the Seas in October.

I used the service successfully in Port Canaveral when traveling on Delta. All bags arrived back home.

Using Airtran on the next trip -- back to lugging the bags to the airport.

All three tags were identical and were marked LAX instead of our destination. Our assumption was either the ship or the airline would put the correct final destination based upon our airline ticket info. Our boarding passes were correct and we had no way of knowing what the luggage tags were supposed to say. It looks like it was just bad luck for us and seems to work for everyone else who have responded to the boards.

All three tags were identical and were marked LAX instead of our destination. Our assumption was either the ship or the airline would put the correct final destination based upon our airline ticket info. Our boarding passes were correct and we had no way of knowing what the luggage tags were supposed to say. It looks like it was just bad luck for us and seems to work for everyone else who have responded to the boards.

First, welcome to Cruise Critic. ;) I did not realize you were brand new when I posted to you earlier or I would have greeted you then.

Now that you have seen the other responses, please try that Express Luggage again on your next trip.

Only next time, make sure it is your airport on the luggage tags. If not, go to the pursers desk right away and let them know. ;) That way when you leave the ship and your bags are turned over to the airline rep in their area, they can put the correct ones on the bags.

It really is a good service and even though you did have a missing bag, it was returned in 2 days. That was a plus with todays airlines. :)

Again, welcome to Cruise Critic.

We hope to see you on here often. ;)

This is a note for everyone, whether or not you are using the luggage valet service. If you are checking bags, check the luggage tags to make sure they are marked for the correct airport. Do not assume that they are correct (or that the airline will know to fix it if you don't point it out to them). Before you leave, figure out the airport code for your destination. For example, my home airport is LIT. For my next cruise I am sailing out of Seattle. My flight is from Little Rock (LIT) connecting through Chicago O'Hare (ORD) to Seattle (SEA). When I check in I will make sure that the tags say ORD and SEA. All of us need to do this.

You should have went to the Guest relations desk and had them fix it before you left the ship.

This is a note for everyone, whether or not you are using the luggage valet service. If you are checking bags, check the luggage tags to make sure they are marked for the correct airport. Do not assume that they are correct (or that the airline will know to fix it if you don't point it out to them). Before you leave, figure out the airport code for your destination. For example, my home airport is LIT. For my next cruise I am sailing out of Seattle. My flight is from Little Rock (LIT) connecting through Chicago O'Hare (ORD) to Seattle (SEA). When I check in I will make sure that the tags say ORD and SEA. All of us need to do this.

If they go to this link, they can get every airport code they need.

US, Canada and International.

They are all in alphabetical order.

They should save it in your favorites and check it before your cruise. ;)

http://www.orbitz.com/App/global/airportCodes.jsp

Hi Alexis:D

I just used the service on my Summit Hawaii cruise. This time I just left my bags out the last night as usual and I didn't see them again until I arrived in Seattle. I did not have to claim them and go thru customs. It was well worth the money.

Carrie

Hi Alexis:D

I just used the service on my Summit Hawaii cruise. This time I just left my bags out the last night as usual and I didn't see them again until I arrived in Seattle. I did not have to claim them and go thru customs. It was well worth the money.

Carrie

It is so good to see you on here. Where have you been hiding lately?

I would like the way they do the Express as you, but then I might worry that my luggage was not there if I did not actually see it on the dock. :o :D

I hope all is well and say "Hi" to Keith. Did you both do the Summit to Hawaii or you and Donna?

You must tell me where it leaves from and how many nights it takes to get there? I am not a sea day person.

As a Diamond, what do you get on the Summit?

Archived