Pacific Sun Horn

Hi Everyone,

DH and I have just come back from Portside to see the Pacific Sun off. For the second week in a row, the Captain has not sounded the horn :( Even when we saw her sail earlier this year from Portside he didn't sound her horn. Can any CC's who have sailed on the Sun advise if the Captain usually does this? Most disappointed here as that is one of the best parts of seeing the ship sail. I know when I sail on her in May, I hope the captain sounds the horn!!

Thanks

Sarah

When we past the star in may out at sea I think most people were expecting the horns to sound,but it didnt happen? Some of the staff were out on deck as they too had not seen both pass each other and were expecting the horns. Must be some strange maritime rule???

LOL it has a loud horn alright... got caught in front of it on my cruise and nearly passed out :p and it shook the quay when it went off when it passed the Dawn on its way out... which in other words means the horn has gone off multiple times every time ive seen the Sun leave... did the captains change when the ship moved to Brissy? Maybe the ship's depressed up there and wants to come home :o :p

Unfortunately, some captains just don't blow the whistles (horns) except when required by maritime regulations (backing into a channel from a finger pier, etc)

Our last trip on Oceania's Nautica, Istanbul to Singapore, Nov 06, I asked the captain if he would blow the whistle (horn) at noon for the Noon Navigation Report, and he said absolutely not. His ship!!

http://www.youtube.com has some great videos of ships blowing their whistles (horns).

The Captain of the Pacific Dawn has no hesitations with the ships whistle. It was blown 3 times to farewell the Sun in Sydney as she sailed past and 3 times to greet the Star in Noumea.

He blew it as we sailed out of all the ports, Noumea, Suva and Port Vila.

When we were sailing very slowly away from of one of the small islands two islanders were positioned in their small boats near the reef markers so we had extra visibility of the reef, one on either side of the ship and were waving at us as we sailed past. The captain blew the ships whistle 3 times in thanks and they nearly fell out of their boats in shock. :D

We also blew it 3 times going through the Havanna Boularis passage because a small fishing boat was in the middle of the channel and hadn't seen us. They moved out of the way, no doubt with hearts hammering in fright. :p

He also blew it as we sailed back into Sydney around 6.00am and went under the Harbour Bridge to the absolute delight of the passengers. We sailed out from Circular Quay so it was the first time it had gone under the bridge.

It is great when it is blown, nothing like it. :)

Is it possible that the Brisbane ports have put a restriction on the celebratory use of the horn? Could the Portside locals have insisted on quiet departures? If any of this is possible, the captain may not have a choice.

Cheers

Geoff

Is it possible that the Brisbane ports have put a restriction on the celebratory use of the horn? Could the Portside locals have insisted on quiet departures? If any of this is possible, the captain may not have a choice.

Cheers

Geoff

Unless it only happened in the week between the Pacific Star's last departure (and Sun Princess's visit) and Pacific Sun's first departure I don't think so Geoff. Pacific Star nearly always gave a blast of the horn.

I think you might find there are regulations preventing him sounding the whistle in portside-maybe the local residents have complained.We have just come back on the Sun and I was amazed how many times this Captain did sound the horn-I have never heard a horn sounded so many times on a cruise The Captain seemed to take great delight in doing so and would warn passengers on outside decks each time that he was about to do so. On a different topic,I was really impressed with the way Captain kept us all informed about the medical emergency and subsequent evacuation by helicopter-Most unfortunate for the poor gentleman who was taken ill -I hope he has recovered .-It certainly provided an eventful end to the cruise

Unless it only happened in the week between the Pacific Star's last departure (and Sun Princess's visit) and Pacific Sun's first departure I don't think so Geoff. Pacific Star nearly always gave a blast of the horn.

Hi Kym,

There was mention that the Sun's whistle was much louder, so I am only guessing it may play a part. I am sure someone will ask the captain one day.

Just think it is a bit unfair to accuse the captain if there is a possible reason he isn't tooting.

Cheers

Geoff

I don't care how loud the Sun's horn is - I WANT TO HEAR IT!!

But perhaps if it really is THAT loud, the captain is doing us a favour and not deafening us all standing so close to the ship on the viewing deck??

It is disappointing not hearing it though. Kind of an anti-climax :(

But perhaps if it really is THAT loud, the captain is doing us a favour and not deafening us all standing so close to the ship on the viewing deck??(

Even if it is so loud it might deafen us on the viewing deck, he could still sound it once she has pulled away!!

I only hope it ISN'T because of the residents of Portside that we don't get to hear it. I know that it will be the weekend we don't go in, that the captain will sound the horn!! :(

When we departed Sydney on the Sun. it was LOUD!! The captain did warn us, but I didn't expect it to be THAT loud!!:p We tooted under the bridge 3 times and when we left the pier.

The captain also tooted the horn when we left Noumea, but i missed it as I was lined up at the Pursers Desk.:rolleyes:

Maybe the decibel level is too high.:confused:

Maybe the captain just doesn't like Brisbane and that's why we're the only port he doesn't toot in ;)

Sarah, we'll have to see if we can hassle him on Saturday when we do the tour and sweet talk him into a quick toot for us :D:D

Geez Minxy - you might get more than you bargained for if you ask him for 'a quick toot' :p

When we past the star in may out at sea I think most people were expecting the horns to sound,but it didnt happen? Some of the staff were out on deck as they too had not seen both pass each other and were expecting the horns. Must be some strange maritime rule???

Hi

When we passed the P/Sun while on the P/Star on our way back from Vila to Brisbane early last month (October), both ships blew their horn several times. The P/Sun had been at sea for 3 days from Sydney and we were the first thing they probably had seen all of that time.:eek: There was much excitement on both ships.:)

Regards

Roland

2002 Pacific Sky (September from Sydney)

2003 Pacific Sky (September from Sydney)

2004 Pacific Sky (August from Auckland)

2005 Pacific Sun (August from Sydney)

2006 Pacific Sun (September from Sydney)

2007 Pacific Star (September from Brisbane)

Archived