Booked guaranteed balcony-just got cabin....

travelgirl04

Hi! We booked a Guaranteed balcony (I think it was BF) on the Crown Princess for our cruise in March 2008. Just got our cabin assignment on the lido deck, forward. I know we took a chance when we booked this category that we might not get our ideal cabin location but I am nervous about getting seasick that high up and forward on the ship. In addition, the rest of our party, 3 other couples were all placed on the Caribe deck right next to eachother. So that is a little bit of a bummer for us too. Can anyone give me any info about their experiences, or suggestions? Should I try to have it changed or be thrilled with this location?

Thanks!:)

Travelgirl...I don't have a zillion posts but from what I've read, once your cabin is assiged - say to a BB category--if there are other BBs available you can ask to be moved to an open BB cabin. You might want to check what comes up as open (use a booking engine) and if you see a couple of cabins that you'd like, near your friends, ask Princess (if you booked direct) or your TA to see if your assignment can be changed.

Hi! We booked a Guaranteed balcony (I think it was BF) on the Crown Princess for our cruise in March 2008. Just got our cabin assignment on the lido deck, forward. I know we took a chance when we booked this category that we might not get our ideal cabin location but I am nervous about getting seasick that high up and forward on the ship. In addition, the rest of our party, 3 other couples were all placed on the Caribe deck right next to eachother. So that is a little bit of a bummer for us too. Can anyone give me any info about their experiences, or suggestions? Should I try to have it changed or be thrilled with this location?

You can always call if you booked directly or have TA call and see if there are any rooms available lower and more midship especially since it looks like you are now in a BA?

If you booked a BF you booked a cabin that was forward. As far as being that high up and forward you probably won't notice much difference in the movement unless you are extremely sensitive to motion or unless the seas are very, very rough. We have been on deck 12 forward (6 back) and never felt any more motion here than the rest of the ship but the seas rarely hit the moderate level. We have been midship deck deck 10 and felt a great deal of movement with moderate seas.

Unfortunately when traveling with others the only way you can all be assured of being placed right next to each other is to book an assigned cabin and request no upgrade. It is amazing that the rest of the party got assigned next to each other - but that is now in the past just gave for future information.

We booked 3 cabins BE balcony guarantees that were in the front of the ship and were upgraded to a BB. The BE catagory only had 4 cabins in it on the Grand.

Initially our cabin and our DD/SIL were next to ours and our DS/DIL were on the other side of the ship also midship.

Our TA called and asked if we could all be together and, lo and behold, our DS/DIL were moved to the side we were in next to DD/SIL. So it doesn''t hurt to have your TA ask.

If getting sick is your concern, I would contact your doctor before you leave and get sea sick pills. they work wonderfully. If the location and not being near your friends is the problem, yes, you can try to get re-located, but generally it does little good. We all know booking a guarantee cabin is a gamble. Give your TA a call, if the ship is open you might be able to work something out.

Glad you heard, we are booked in January and still do not have our cabin assignment.

Nita

Jennifer,

We were on the Diamond in Alaska this summer and loved our Lido deck balcony! We had L 228. No problems with sea sickness and it's close to every place you'll want to be, and to where your friends will want to be.

Pools, and food are right down the hall, so don't be surprised if they use your cabin as a hang-out. :D Ours did. The only draw-back is that the balconies are smaller than the Caribe, but that didn't seem to matter. It was cozy.

Plus, if you're all on the same side of the ship, you can still communicate, "over the rail." We did that alot. Someone here at CC posted this link and it's really handy to check out cabin locations.

~*~**~*~CruiseDeckplans! (That's how I have it marked in my favorites, it's cruise deck plans dot com) Hope this helps you out.

Have a great cruise,

AV Lady

Thanks for all of the info! After searching the internet, I found lots of posts in favor of the lido deck cabin...and lots of posts from people who felt seasick, heard noise from the gym, etc. So I gave a call to Princess who were happy to place my husband and I in a cabin just a few rooms down from our friends on the Caribe deck. The cabin is pretty much mid ship so that eases a lot of my worries. I was pleased with how easy the change was-they marked do not change on all our ressies so we wont be separated.

For us, the thought of our cabin on the lido deck left us uneasy-seasick possibilities (and yes I already planned to take meds), noise from the gym above the cabin, the smaller balcony, and actually, the fact that as a previous poster said, our friends would likely use our room to hang out b/c we would be closer to everything, are negatives in our eyes! Haha!

Thanks for all the help!:D

Thanks for all of the info! After searching the internet, I found lots of posts in favor of the lido deck cabin...and lots of posts from people who felt seasick, heard noise from the gym, etc. So I gave a call to Princess who were happy to place my husband and I in a cabin just a few rooms down from our friends on the Caribe deck. The cabin is pretty much mid ship so that eases a lot of my worries. I was pleased with how easy the change was-they marked do not change on all our ressies so we wont be separated.

For us, the thought of our cabin on the lido deck left us uneasy-seasick possibilities (and yes I already planned to take meds), noise from the gym above the cabin, the smaller balcony, and actually, the fact that as a previous poster said, our friends would likely use our room to hang out b/c we would be closer to everything, are negatives in our eyes! Haha!

Thanks for all the help!:D

Great news; be thankful and remember when booking a guarantee cabin it doesn't always turn out the way you hope. You were really lucky,

Nita

Great news. I guess the lessons learned are that if you are traveling with others, book cabins you want near each other and mark them "no upgrade"; and, an "upgrade" is not always an "upgrade." Since I never use the pools and prefer the dining room to the buffet, a cabin near to them isn't something I'd want to have.

Nita:

We are booked for 1/26/08 with a balcony guarantee and still no cabin assignment. Isn't there a date when all those who held cabins have to give them up??? Also this cruise has cabins waitlisted. We are BG and there are only a few of them on the Emerald deck. What are our changes of getting upgraded?? Thought I'd ask since your a TA. Thanks.

Nita:

We are booked for 1/26/08 with a balcony guarantee and still no cabin assignment. Isn't there a date when all those who held cabins have to give them up??? Also this cruise has cabins waitlisted. We are BG and there are only a few of them on the Emerald deck. What are our changes of getting upgraded?? Thought I'd ask since your a TA. Thanks.

Regardless of the status of the ship, waitlist or not, booking into one of the "upsell" categories, like BG, where there are very few actual cabins, gives one a high chance of getting an upgrade.

Final payment is generally when a lot of cabins open up as people cancel before penalty period. The other time comes when group space is recalled, which if the ship is heavily waitlisted probably was awhile ago.

But your assignment could happen anytime. The "theory" is that the longer they wait to assign, the better the eventual cabin. Hopefully that will be the case with your cabin!

Regardless of the status of the ship, waitlist or not, booking into one of the "upsell" categories, like BG, where there are very few actual cabins, gives one a high chance of getting an upgrade.

Final payment is generally when a lot of cabins open up as people cancel before penalty period. The other time comes when group space is recalled, which if the ship is heavily waitlisted probably was awhile ago.

But your assignment could happen anytime. The "theory" is that the longer they wait to assign, the better the eventual cabin. Hopefully that will be the case with your cabin!

Thanks Amber for your info. I keep checking and hoping I'll see that "mini-suite":D

Archived