Roatan article

lfdianne

I'm posting this on this board as well as the Roatan board. This is an article that was in the Wall Street Journal today. What a plug for Roatan! I was looking forward to this port to begin with. One of the reasons we chose the Spirit NO cruise was to go to some "off the beaten path" places.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119586538625102661.html?mod=home_we_banner_left

On our Carnival Valor cruise, we fell in love with Roatan. You hear "Honduras" and think of a Central American nation, but this is a resort! It is a long island off the mainland, and it has its own charm and identity.

I could go on and on, but I just would go back in a heartbeat.

Another favorite of ours is Dominica. I can't wait to go back

And then there's Cabo... :D

This article was in the Wall Street Journal today. Thought some of you might find it interesting. I'm looking forward to this port on our Dec. 30 Spirit cruise!

GREAT article, thanks for posting the link. We talked to a couple on the ship who had gone around looking at properties. They're headed back down with their (grown) children in December to decide where they're going to buy.

We loved Roatan and would go back in a heartbeat. :)

I'm posting this on this board as well as the Roatan board. This is an article that was in the Wall Street Journal today. What a plug for Roatan! I was looking forward to this port to begin with. One of the reasons we chose the Spirit NO cruise was to go to some "off the beaten path" places.

Thanks. We're going to Roatan next Oct on Jewel.

Per the Guidelines, another host moved a thread from the other forum since it was off topic there. Now both threads on this forum have been merged since they are the same topic. The merged posts appear in date/time order.

I hope this information will be satisfactory to all.

Kat 110105_emYA10_prv.gif

'Tis the season to be jolly...

I only skimmed the article but I found it sad to read. We went to Roatan for the first time in 03 and what I loved most about this island is how beautiful and unspoiled it was but that's sure to change in the near future with all of the development going on and RCI building a $30 million extension to the dock. I just remember being in awe when we pulled up to dock because it was SO incredibly unspoiled, green mountains, very simple pier, not built up like so many other ports but that's sure to change (although I'm not surprised, it was sure to happen at some point). I'm just glad we were there prior to all of this upcoming development and I'll be going again in a few months so I'll have a final opportunity to see Roatan the way I remembered it from a few years ago.

The only positive thing I can get from this is that it will reduce the poverty although there's poverty on every island so it certainly won't eliminate it.

not only is rci developing the port area but carnival is kicking in 50 million... I'm glad i was there this past week... don't need to get off the ship and smack in front of you is a diamonds international.. at least they could leave one port on the itinerary as a true island experience.. all about the money:(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
My first thought when I saw Roatan was "wow.........Gilligan's Island with houses" It is a beautiful place.

That's exactly what I was thinking when we first pulled into "port" and I got my first glimpse of Roatan from the cruiseship. It looked very Gilligan's Island like.

Archived