Thoughts... stroller needed for 3 yr old??

Bee Bop

We leave next week. Should I bring an umbrella stroller for a 3 yr old? Usually he wants to walk, but will use a stroller if tired. I was thinking more for the ports (Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten) and the airport. This is our first cruise with kids, so I am not sure what to do!

Thanks

I have a really un-stroller child. She has lots of energy and always insists on walking. We fly a lot and she hardly uses the stroller in the airport (but is still handy for the bags). At home, it basically gathers dust. My dh was wondering why I even bothered bringing it but I ignored him and listened to my instincts.

Am I ever glad I brought the stroller on the cruise anyway. We ended up using it a lot, especially to and from the kids' club. There can be a lot of walking in the hallways on a cruise. She would be all tired from the club and appreciated being pushed back to the cabin in her stroller.

We also took it the one time I took her off the ship. We were on a Med Cruise so that was different but remember it takes a long time to simply walk the length of the ship after disembarking. It's also nice to have them safe and with you, not running over to the waters' edge. Kids run out of steam on these sorts of outings. Also, if there are a lot of people around, he might be more comfortable sitting.

Definitely an umbrella stroller you can easily fold down and store easily in your cabin. Leave your serious machine with the bells and whistles at home. That, you wont need!

Ours' has basically been sitting in the garage since the cruise but I was happy we had it!

ex-F/A with three transatlantically flying children

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

(it's totally non-commercial, you might find it helpful!)

BRING THE UMBRELLA STROLLER.

First of all- in the airport you'll need one (if you are flying). It is great that kids like to walk and run but funny how when they have to walk to a certain place they want to be carried.

On the ship- I used the umbrella stroller alot. It made it easy to get him coralled. At three the novelty of walking has worn off and my son actually liked riding in the stroller down the long halls to the elevator. I felt more safe with him on the islands and in gift shops. Just easier to keep track of. And they do nap still at three- so it is just easier to bring the stroller. When he wasn't in it- i used to it carry my purchases and hung the pool bag from the handles. I think it is lifesaver.

I'm debating the same issue with myself. My (at cruise time) 2.5 year old decided for the first time that he would never willingly ride in a stroller again at the airport when we were departing for our last cruise (May, 2007 - he was not quite 2). It was frustrating for a number of reasons including the fact that we kept thinking it was just a 24 hour boycott and that he would certainly ride in it at the pier, at port #1, at port #2 . . . Nope. We dragged that stroller around with us everywhere we went when we were off the ship and it never held a warm body (diaper bag and shopping bags, but never my son).

So, now I'm faced with the dilemma again. What to do, what to do? I'm leaning towards not bringing it, but I may change my mind at the last minute.

My 3yo walks. We had a few times when it was just faster to have DH hold him, but for the most part he walked everywhere. He even helped pull a suitcase at the airport. It would have been a pain to haul the stroller around with us if he wasn't sitting in it.

We leave next week. Should I bring an umbrella stroller for a 3 yr old? Usually he wants to walk, but will use a stroller if tired. I was thinking more for the ports (Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten) and the airport. This is our first cruise with kids, so I am not sure what to do!

Thanks

carnival will rent a stroller single or double 25dollars.

Archived