Hit a snafu - schedule change for Airline!!

Hey everyone. So I'm getting close to the cruise FINALLY and things were going pretty well. Now, of course, I get an email this morning from my airline. Apparently, my flight back has gone from 2:30 to 12:55. The thing is, I'm flying from Miami but cruising out of FLL. So, my question is, do you think we can make it if we self disembark? We have no problem carrying our own luggage. I'm just thinking if we get in at 8am and even if there are issues and we can get off by 10am we can still get a cab or rent a car to get to Miami in time.

Or am I dreaming?....:o Please give me some advice or experience on this situation...

We had the opposite commute as we docked in Miami but flew out of FLL. We didn't even do the self-disembarkation but rather just early color and we were at the airport in FLL by 8:30 am. Our flight was at 11:40. You will have plenty of time.

Should be ok. We have done the opposite a few years ago. Got off the ship and was at the airport by 10:00 for an 11:55 flight. We used a limo/taxi service and we actually off the ship before they came to get us. 45 min drive and we were there.

It will probably be okay

BUT, just to let you know, you can call the airline and argue to get them to move your flight to the next departing one. You just need to be FIRM that you are departing a cruise and specifically chose the original flight because you knew that you would have to clear customs and wanted to allow enough time to make it to the airport. If you had known that they were going to switch the time on this flight you would have chosen a flight that departed later. Be firm that you want them to move you to a later flight without incurring a penalty charge "after all, you booked the flight you knew you could make, and they are the ones that moved you" Speak to a supervisor if you need to.

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling better already. It's not bad enough that I'm dieting to fit into this cute little bikini I bought - but now this!:p I will talk to my boyfriend about getting the early color tag or carrying off tonight. Oh, and Sas0, I checked available flights as soon as I got the email. Guess when the next one is? 9:30pm! Just my luck!:o

I agree with sas80 about calling the airline, maybe you can change your flight to one that departs from where you are sailing from? The airlines are generally pretty good about working with you when they are the ones who have changed your schedule....then again you have another 60 days to go... who knows the schedule "could" change again....:D

I agree with sas80 about calling the airline, maybe you can change your flight to one that departs from where you are sailing from? The airlines are generally pretty good about working with you when they are the ones who have changed your schedule....then again you have another 60 days to go... who knows the schedule "could" change again....:D

Oh, if it changes again I'll cry! Great, musical airline schedules!:D

Had the same problem last year so I called the AA to alert them of my problems. They rectified the problem, but first they tried to sell me a 1st class ticket upgrade ...hahaha. Then they found "seats" for use, but it turned out they found only one seat for us on the connecting flight. It worked out for us but now without worry. Call the airlines if your worried and let them know of your concern.

Hey everyone. So I'm getting close to the cruise FINALLY and things were going pretty well. Now, of course, I get an email this morning from my airline. Apparently, my flight back has gone from 2:30 to 12:55. The thing is, I'm flying from Miami but cruising out of FLL. So, my question is, do you think we can make it if we self disembark? We have no problem carrying our own luggage. I'm just thinking if we get in at 8am and even if there are issues and we can get off by 10am we can still get a cab or rent a car to get to Miami in time.

Or am I dreaming?....:o Please give me some advice or experience on this situation...

I think you are taking too much for granted and are not considering that more could go wrong. When we disembarked from our cruise on the Radiance to Alaska last September at San Pedro (LA) in California, we chose a flight around 3 in the afternoon, even though we were told that those who self-disembarked could get off at 7:30 AM. However, as I remember, the ship was not cleared by US government officials until 9:00 AM. As our cruise was booked by our timeshare company, we asked their travel service to book our return flight, and as we had been in Alaska prior to the cruise, Royal Caribbean told us only the timeshare company could arrange transfer to LAX (we were told you can only do it direct through Royal Caribbean if transfers are made directly both to and from the cruise). We also had taken out travel insurance. We made it to the terminal, we checked in our bags, and sent through security with time to spare

Your scenario suggests there are too many variables which could affect your timely transfer to your flight. One suggestion: if you want to continjue what you already have, do not rent a car. The amount of tine it takes to register and pick it up as well as when you drop it off just takes away from the time you will need to make your flight, and remember, once you reach the terminal at Miami you still have to register your bags and go through security, not always the quickest. I wish you god luck, and hope you have communicated with the ship and airline, and have travel insurance.:eek:

I think you are taking too much for granted and are not considering that more could go wrong. When we disembarked from our cruise on the Radiance to Alaska last September at San Pedro (LA) in California, we chose a flight around 3 in the afternoon, even though we were told that those who self-disembarked could get off at 7:30 AM. However, as I remember, the ship was not cleared by US government officials until 9:00 AM. As our cruise was booked by our timeshare company, we asked their travel service to book our return flight, and as we had been in Alaska prior to the cruise, Royal Caribbean told us only the timeshare company could arrange transfer to LAX (we were told you can only do it direct through Royal Caribbean if transfers are made directly both to and from the cruise). We also had taken out travel insurance. We made it to the terminal, we checked in our bags, and sent through security with time to spare

Your scenario suggests there are too many variables which could affect your timely transfer to your flight. One suggestion: if you want to continjue what you already have, do not rent a car. The amount of tine it takes to register and pick it up as well as when you drop it off just takes away from the time you will need to make your flight, and remember, once you reach the terminal at Miami you still have to register your bags and go through security, not always the quickest. I wish you god luck, and hope you have communicated with the ship and airline, and have travel insurance.:eek:

Thanks, good advice. That's what I'm afraid of, some unforseen incident sucking up all of our time to get off the ship. I'm glad you mentioned the car part --good thinking. I'll just take a cab and suck up the money. I'm not going to wait around for a shuttle to fill. I really don't want to go to the next available flight at 9:30pm, though. I'm going to be buying insurance this week. We had paid for our cruise, airfare and hotel in full the day we got it in July and I didn't realize insurance wasn't included. So I found out and my choices I think got limited because I had already paid in full. But I got a great price on all.

I'll let you know how it goes!

The suggestion of trying to get a flight from FLL seems like a great idea. Maybe the airline will work with you to get you a flight from FLL since they are the ones who changed your Miami flight.

Thanks, good advice. That's what I'm afraid of, some unforseen incident sucking up all of our time to get off the ship. I'm glad you mentioned the car part --good thinking. I'll just take a cab and suck up the money. I'm not going to wait around for a shuttle to fill. I really don't want to go to the next available flight at 9:30pm, though. I'm going to be buying insurance this week. We had paid for our cruise, airfare and hotel in full the day we got it in July and I didn't realize insurance wasn't included. So I found out and my choices I think got limited because I had already paid in full. But I got a great price on all.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Good luck! We hope all goes well!:)

You should be fine. Get off the ship as early as you can, have a car waiting for you and print your boarding passes from the ship the night before.

Good ideas, but if you check your baggage curbside, won't the person taking the bags give you a boarding pass?:confused:

I used to work in the "schedule change" department of the airlines. If the change is more than 15 minutes prior to the original flight time the customer must not only be notified, but given the opportunity, free of charge to alter their flight arrangements. If you were orginally flying back from Miami and need to change it to FLL, they should have no problem adjusting it for you. Its called an open jaw and is rarely too large of a problem even when they don't change your schedule. You were probably flying in and out of Miami because of some fare code or another that they themselves can alter.

I'm surprised they only left you a message. We were never allowed to do that, we had to make contact and make sure it was OK. We could leave a message to call us back regarding a schedule change, but not just tell someone "this will be your schedule". If you don't mind my asking, which airline is it? With only 2 scheduled flights during normal hours , is it a small carrier?

I used to work in the "schedule change" department of the airlines. If the change is more than 15 minutes prior to the original flight time the customer must not only be notified, but given the opportunity, free of charge to alter their flight arrangements. If you were orginally flying back from Miami and need to change it to FLL, they should have no problem adjusting it for you. Its called an open jaw and is rarely too large of a problem even when they don't change your schedule. You were probably flying in and out of Miami because of some fare code or another that they themselves can alter.

I'm surprised they only left you a message. We were never allowed to do that, we had to make contact and make sure it was OK. We could leave a message to call us back regarding a schedule change, but not just tell someone "this will be your schedule". If you don't mind my asking, which airline is it? With only 2 scheduled flights during normal hours , is it a small carrier?

Hi, thanks for all your info and experience. Its AA. No flights I can find anywhere going out of FLL for them at all that day. The only flights I can find available is the 9:30 out of Mia to Ewr that evening or the 12:55 they changed me to. The email said if I needed to make a change I should call their number. My problem is, I bought a ticket with restrictions, no changes, but I guess it may not matter here? Also, I know they overbook. So I don't want them to say 'oh, sure, we'll put you on our 4pm flight' and then have it be full and get bumped to the 9:30pm available one anyway. That happened to someone I know and I think someone here mentioned it, too. I kind of feel that if there was a major problem with the ship and we can't get to the airline on time then insurance (when I buy it) should put me on the 9:30 if it isn't full, right? But I think 2-3 hours backup on the ship should still get me to the airport by noon, giving me just enough time to check my 2 bags.....

I don't know. Don't really want to sit around all day for the evening one... What do you think?

Lucky Princess, we sail on the Radiance the day you disembark. We promise to stay out of your way as you hurry to the airport. Have a great cruise and take care of the Radiance for us.

Haha! If you see a little redhead running with purple luggage thats me! Lol! Thanks! I'll take good care of her, I promise. I'm in 8588, where are you?

Hi, thanks for all your info and experience. Its AA. No flights I can find anywhere going out of FLL for them at all that day. The only flights I can find available is the 9:30 out of Mia to Ewr that evening or the 12:55 they changed me to. The email said if I needed to make a change I should call their number. My problem is, I bought a ticket with restrictions, no changes, but I guess it may not matter here? Also, I know they overbook. So I don't want them to say 'oh, sure, we'll put you on our 4pm flight' and then have it be full and get bumped to the 9:30pm available one anyway. That happened to someone I know and I think someone here mentioned it, too. I kind of feel that if there was a major problem with the ship and we can't get to the airline on time then insurance (when I buy it) should put me on the 9:30 if it isn't full, right? But I think 2-3 hours backup on the ship should still get me to the airport by noon, giving me just enough time to check my 2 bags.....

I don't know. Don't really want to sit around all day for the evening one... What do you think?

First, since it was their change it does not matter what kind of ticket you booked. They will make the necessary changes at no charge. But they won't switch you to a flight that has no seats available. Call back and ask them what availability they have. You do not have to accept the flights they've switched you to.

Second, as to your worries about a flight being overbooked, get assigned seats. Then make sure to check in 24 hours in advance. This reduces the risk of being involuntarily bumped. But I would not even worry about it. If the flight is overbooked, they will keep calling for volunteers and upping the amount offered until they get enough people willing to bump. There are almost always lots of people willing to take the later flight (or next day flight) for a certain amount in cash.

Thanks wrp96. I'll try that. I'll call tonight.:)

Absolutely check in in advance! We fly AA and they allow check in up to 24 hours in advance so we always check in the night before we depart the ship.

With the holidays it is crucial that you reserve your seat on that aircraft! While you still might make the flight, anything could delay you getting to the airport. If you haven't checked in in advance, and dont check in (at the airport) on time they will give your seats away! :eek:

Happy Sailing!

We sailed FOS out of Miami a couple of weeks ago. Flew in and out of FTL. Our return flight was changed from 3pm to 10:55 am.

I was so stressed out that we'd miss the flight!

Turns out we self disembarked, went thru customs, and got in a cab within 1/2 hour. We waited at the airport for over 2 hours before our flight!

Everything worked out more than fine. Just have an alternate plan (the worst case for us was that we would go to my parent's house about 20 minutes from FTL and fly out the next day if necessary).

Relax and Enjoy the cruise!

Archived