RCCL "Not Helpful"

JPVENDING

Last year on AOS we had a wheel pulled off a new piece of luggage between the time we gave to the guys at the port and our room. I went down to the purser and made a report. Had a new bag in our room the next day, it was inferior to our piece. When we got home i called and then told me to put it in writing and I faxed it with a copy of damage report and told them how much it cost. I had a ck, no questions asked in about ten days. I have dealt with customer service twice now at RCCL and they have done a great job both times. Roz

I called Berkley when we bought the STA Insurance for half the price that RCCL wanted. Our 30" suitcases had a forklift go thru them & another man with a $300 suitcase had his clothes sticking out. Co refused to do anything but give us coupons for flights depending on price. So I phoned Berkley. They emailed me the claim form. We had photos of the suitcases & the reciepts for purchase at Sears. Berkley deducts 20% depreciation since they were a year old. Sears replaced them at no cost. to us.

Other folks on the cruise were having troubles getting damaged luggage claim from the Purser's desk. They bought the cruiseline's insurance but no one would help. Many had no luggage for a week & were given pants & sweaters from crew members to wear. I felt bad for them......... Never found out if they got it.

Hi,

I am confused a little trying to understand your post:

Did Sears replaced your suitcase at no cost to you based on the claim filled with Berkely ? or was / is that their policy to replace damaged luggage ? if it is, what is the time limit

for this service and what is the cost ?

Wes

My wife and I are platinum members and have cruised on RC exclusively for about 10 cruises in which we always buy the insurance, not really sure what it covers but it's nice to know we have it. Well upon getting off the Voyager of the Seas in Barcelona we find one of our roll bags has the wheel apparatus completely ripped off, my wife obviously wasn't aware of this, she just thought that bag was heavy as she dragged it to the taxi line. So we got in the taxi and rode away figuring no problem we paid 160 dollars every time for insurance we never use. But now we were glad we bought it. We took pictures of the damage as well standing in front of the terminal.

So today I called RC and got the run-around about since we were outside the terminal it wasn't their problem I needed to contact the insurance company, "Berkley" which we booked through RC. Well I contacted Berkley and the lady said I need to file a damage report through RC first. So I called RC and talked to the same lady and she begin to lecture me about what I need to do. So finally I had enough and told her what I though, so she is supposed to "get back to me" it's just a piece of luggage I feel like just throwing it away and telling them pound sand. We are booking another cruise for May and I think now we are going Princess after this incident. I don't pay 3k to be treated like this.

Does anyone else have any similar stories or incidents? Also is there any other options I have on resolving this. I just want my bag the way I left it in the hall the night before! Thanks for any help!!

Jason Paul

Voyager of the Seas

November 3, 2007

Here is a perfect example of a Pyrrhic Victory -- wining the battle and losing the war. :eek: On one hand, Royal Caribbean has a valid point. Since you did not report any damage until after you left the dock and arrived at the airport after you disembarked, the companydid not feel they had to take responsibility for the loss.

However, wouldn't it be better for customer relations to pay the loss and assume Royal Caribbean is responsible? They not paying for the damage luggage, but the cruise line may also lose the price of a next booking to another cruise line company.

Still, I wouldn't feel so bad. Nobody knows what and who you will be dealing with at Princess?:eek: If you enjoyed your cruise, just remember to check your cabin before leaving the ship and your bags before you leave the dock, and book again with Royal Caribbean. :)

My wife and I are platinum members and have cruised on RC exclusively for about 10 cruises in which we always buy the insurance, not really sure what it covers but it's nice to know we have it. Well upon getting off the Voyager of the Seas in Barcelona we find one of our roll bags has the wheel apparatus completely ripped off, my wife obviously wasn't aware of this, she just thought that bag was heavy as she dragged it to the taxi line. So we got in the taxi and rode away figuring no problem we paid 160 dollars every time for insurance we never use. But now we were glad we bought it. We took pictures of the damage as well standing in front of the terminal.

So today I called RC and got the run-around about since we were outside the terminal it wasn't their problem I needed to contact the insurance company, "Berkley" which we booked through RC. Well I contacted Berkley and the lady said I need to file a damage report through RC first. So I called RC and talked to the same lady and she begin to lecture me about what I need to do. So finally I had enough and told her what I though, so she is supposed to "get back to me" it's just a piece of luggage I feel like just throwing it away and telling them pound sand. We are booking another cruise for May and I think now we are going Princess after this incident. I don't pay 3k to be treated like this.

Does anyone else have any similar stories or incidents? Also is there any other options I have on resolving this. I just want my bag the way I left it in the hall the night before! Thanks for any help!!

Jason Paul

Voyager of the Seas

November 3, 2007

From my personal experience don't even consider Princess for customer service - they won't even talk to you - they do all correspondence through letters - RCCL is 100 times better for customer service at the corporate level. At least I had customer service rep.'s call me about problems and try to resolve them. Princess forget about it.

the fact that I have a picture of the luggage outside the terminal with no wheel on it. People don't spend 3k on a vacation and buy the insurance to try and swindle the cruise line or insurance co out of $200. What a hassle it was the rest of our vacation "dragging" around a 50 lb bag.

I don't think that matters - what you should have done at the terminal when you noticed it was filed a claim with RCCL before you left. They need proof it wasn't that way when you got on the ship.

It isn't that you are trying to swindle them, but without filing a claim at the pier, they don't have proof that the airline didn't do it or you might have done it yourself accidentally.

Since RCI is saying that the damage did not happen while the bag was in their care, and since you do not have any documentation showing that it did, you need to change your claim.

Re-submit the claim stating that the damage happened after leaving the ship (which can be supported by RCI) and go from there. The baggage portion of the coverage does not end once you leave the ship. It ends when you get back home. Here's from the policy info:

"When Coverage Ends

Your coverage automatically ends on the earlier of: 1) the date the Covered Cruise Vacation is

completed; 2) the Scheduled Return Date; 3) your arrival at the return destination on a round-trip, or the

destination on a one-way trip; 4) cancellation of the Cruise Vacation covered by the Plan.

If your air arrangements are not booked by Royal Caribbean International and are greater than 14 total days before and/or after your Cruise Vacation, you will also be covered for Trip Interruption, Trip Delay, and benefits under Parts B and C on the day(s) you are flying to/from your destination."

The Part © referred to above is the baggage loss/damage/delay coverage.

So it doesn't matter to the insurer if the bag was damaged while in RCI's care or not. They are only concerned if the baggage was damaged at some point prior to your arrival back home m-- during the plan's effective dates. And it doesn't have to be some outside force that damaged the bag. You could have broken it through some sort of screw-up and it doesn't matter. You can drop your camera overboard through sheer negligence and the coverage still applies.

What does matter is this:

"Baggage and Personal Effects Benefits

We will reimburse you, less any amount paid or payable from any coverage provided by a Common Carrier and/or insurance specifically insuring the lost, stolen, or damaged item(s), up to the amount shown in the Schedule, for direct loss, theft, damage, or destruction of your Baggage during your

Covered Cruise Vacation."

Since you're attempting to put the responsibility on RCI (the "common carrier" in this case) for the damage, then the insurer requires that you settle up with RCI first.

Take RCI out of the loop. Tell Berkely that you broke the darn thing yourself by dropping it. There will be no need for a statement from a third party since you're accepting responsibility for the damage yourself.

But you still have another problem. RCI's insurance is secondary to any other sort of insurance you might have that would cover this such as your homeowner's insurance. I'm going to assume that the replacement or repair cost will be less than your homeowner's policy deductible. So you'll probably need a copy of that policy showing the deductible amount and either a receipt for the original purchase price or a recript for the trpair or replacement cost of the item.

Best advice for the future if you have insurance is that you can save yourself a lot of headaches with baggage damage claims by taking full responsibility for the damage upfront and leave everyone else out of it. I dropped it. I sat on it. I spilled beer on it. Whatever. You'll be eliminating the need for statements from a third party who may not be eager to get involved.

We just bought a set in red so it stands out when RCL piles them high or in the hallway before they bring them to your cabin. Red should be easier to spot. I kid you not, we didnt even need luggage but it was a great deal and they were selling red or purple and we said, hey that will stand out. Just got it last Fri on black Fri.

We did the same thing in 2005 and in 2007 all we saw in the terminal was red luggage with a few pieces of black and blue luggage scattered here and there. I guess everyone has the same idea.

My next piece of luggage is going to be bright yellow with brightly colored ballons painted all over it.

I didn't know that you can claim damage to luggage? Wish I could do that at the airport. I have been through so many pieces of luggage over the past few years.

Actually, you can. Several years ago, we did a motor coach tour of the Grand Canyon. Since we would be staying in different places each night, I packed a lightweight rolling duffle bag ($19.99 at BJ's and had been used a few times). Upon arrival in Phoenix, I saw it had been ripped open and the contents falling out. I went to the luggage claim office to ask for some duct tape, figuring it would work out OK. They went in the back room and came out with a brand new (with tags) rolling suitcase and asked if that would be an acceptable replacement. Sure would - they helped me transfer all my stuff and kept my old piece.

Let me start by saying that I think the customer service on the ship is impeccable, however once you get off the ship with a problem that is a whole other level of customer service. Last year I was on the Freedom of the Seas and booked in the Royal Family Suite and my nephews ipod and psp were stolen out of his luggage. Being a 17 year old and not having the greatest amount of common sense, He put these items in his carry on and the porter took them with the rest of the luggage. When we got our luggage, he realized they were missing. I immediately went to the desk and told them. They took a report, told me security would review the tapes and get back to me. The following morning they called me and told me it must have happened on the dock by someone loading the ship and for me to contact the main office when I got home. In which I did. The result....... nothing. After being tossed around from person to person I finally got a phone call when I wasnt home. I returned the call numerous times and then that was it! To be very honest with you I was furious! The last two cruises costed me in excess of $ 10,000 for a family of four without my ship board account. I wasnt trying to get something for free, just wanted my nephew to be reimbursed for his loss. I am sure they have insurance to cover that!

When this years vacation came around, I decided that I wouldnt travel on RCCL just for principal. I even sent Crown and Anchor a letter telling them that is the reason I would not travel with them. Guess what, someone called me while I wasnt home and said they would be sending me something in the mail to fill out. Ok, so nothing ever came.

Did I enjoy my vacation on a different cruise line. Not as much. My son and my husband enjoyed it even less. So I am returning to RCCL for my cruise next month and next year because that is what my family wants to do. However, when I praise RCCL for their staff on the ship when I have an excellent vacation, I will also let everyone know that the corporate customer service leaves much to be desired.

Let me start by saying that I think the customer service on the ship is impeccable, however once you get off the ship with a problem that is a whole other level of customer service. Last year I was on the Freedom of the Seas and booked in the Royal Family Suite and my nephews ipod and psp were stolen out of his luggage. Being a 17 year old and not having the greatest amount of common sense, He put these items in his carry on and the porter took them with the rest of the luggage. When we got our luggage, he realized they were missing. I immediately went to the desk and told them. They took a report, told me security would review the tapes and get back to me. The following morning they called me and told me it must have happened on the dock by someone loading the ship and for me to contact the main office when I got home. In which I did. The result....... nothing. After being tossed around from person to person I finally got a phone call when I wasnt home. I returned the call numerous times and then that was it! To be very honest with you I was furious! The last two cruises costed me in excess of $ 10,000 for a family of four without my ship board account. I wasnt trying to get something for free, just wanted my nephew to be reimbursed for his loss. I am sure they have insurance to cover that!

When this years vacation came around, I decided that I wouldnt travel on RCCL just for principal. I even sent Crown and Anchor a letter telling them that is the reason I would not travel with them. Guess what, someone called me while I wasnt home and said they would be sending me something in the mail to fill out. Ok, so nothing ever came.

Did I enjoy my vacation on a different cruise line. Not as much. My son and my husband enjoyed it even less. So I am returning to RCCL for my cruise next month and next year because that is what my family wants to do. However, when I praise RCCL for their staff on the ship when I have an excellent vacation, I will also let everyone know that the corporate customer service leaves much to be desired.

I remember your original post about this. Make sure you put locks on your luggage going forward.

While I am sympathetic to the posters above who suffered losses, let me offer my counter perspective. Why the assumption that these losses are the responsibility of the cruiseline? If something is stolen from a bookbag at the mall, is the mall responsible? If I hand my bag to a taxi driver and the handle breaks off in his hand is the driver responsible? I think that society seems to be moving to the view that if I suffer damage, someone must make it right.

I am not implying that the cruiseline is never responsible. Rather, I am just questioning the assumption that, if it happens on a cruise, they must automatically make up the loss. Perhaps the bag was old, perhaps it was defective, perhaps the dockside workers handled the bag roughly or stole from it, or perhaps it WAS the procedures of the cruiseline. My point is that we should not see cruiselines or any other company as a metaphorical parent to whom we may go to have all made right.

Finally, I have read many times on this board that (fill in the blank) cruiseline has terrible customer service because they did give me what I wanted. The "customer is always right" has never been a good business model. The role of customer service is to balance what the customer desires with what the business may provide while staying profitable. Keeping a loyal customer is important, but there are practical limits to what may be done for any customer, and what is done for one customer must be done for others. Where I think companies are failing in customer service is in communications. Even though customer service representatives (CSR) can not always give the customers what they want, they can listen, be sympathetic, and respectful. Of course, with unemployment in the US under 5%, it is often difficult to find good CSRs at the wages the cruiselines pay, but they should provide better training.

Well, enough of my bloviating...

:)

Can't anyone just believe the customer anymore? I know it's a novel idea, but I'm old school. Do we all need to be Clarence Darrow? 99.9% of us are completely honest. What happened to trust and benefit of doubt? I think it's just good business sense. Thanks...off my soapbox now ;)

Maybe I'm cynical, but I really doubt that.

Just read the results of various polls in which many people actually admit (anonymously of course, lol) that they cheat in school, cheat on their taxes, cheat on their spouses, etc., and I don't think you will come up with such a good statistic. Sad, but seems to be today's reality.

Not to say the OP is not completely justified in his complaint.

I just wanted to say that I would have been happy with someone atleast trying to help me. I work in a service oriented business and even though sometimes I cant help my clients with the solution that they would like, I try my hardest and atleast make them feel that I care about their situation and would like to help them but this is the bottom line. I know that my nephew was wrong with allowing tha carry on bag to go to the porter, however he is 17 and did not know any better. And I am not saying that it was the porter that took the items or am I am implying that it was any certain person on the ship, however the bottom line is that someone did go through our bags and steal items out of them. If one of my employees stole something tht belonged to my clients I would surely make every attempt to rectify the situation, whether it be by reimbursing the client or handing the matter over to the police for investigation. I would just want to be sure that my client feels that I have done everything in my power to attempt to bring this issue to some type of closure. The reality is that the cruise lines cant reimburse us all for our damaged items or stolen items, but a good bit of customer service goes a long way. We all know that companies hire workers that do not have the best work ethics, and that is why they hire customer service reps to smooth over the problems that these people create. Don't you agree?

[quote=cruiserJay;12502916]

While I am sympathetic to the posters above who suffered losses, let me offer my counter perspective. Why the assumption that these losses are the responsibility of the cruiseline? If something is stolen from a bookbag at the mall, is the mall responsible? If I hand my bag to a taxi driver and the handle breaks off in his hand is the driver responsible? I think that society seems to be moving to the view that if I suffer damage, someone must make it right.

I am not implying that the cruiseline is never responsible. Rather, I am just questioning the assumption that, if it happens on a cruise, they must automatically make up the loss. Perhaps the bag was old, perhaps it was defective, perhaps the dockside workers handled the bag roughly or stole from it, or perhaps it WAS the procedures of the cruiseline. My point is that we should not see cruiselines or any other company as a metaphorical parent to whom we may go to have all made right.

Finally, I have read many times on this board that (fill in the blank) cruiseline has terrible customer service because they did give me what I wanted. The "customer is always right" has never been a good business model. The role of customer service is to balance what the customer desires with what the business may provide while staying profitable. Keeping a loyal customer is important, but there are practical limits to what may be done for any customer, and what is done for one customer must be done for others. Where I think companies are failing in customer service is in communications. Even though customer service representatives (CSR) can not always give the customers what they want, they can listen, be sympathetic, and respectful. Of course, with unemployment in the US under 5%, it is often difficult to find good CSRs at the wages the cruiselines pay, but they should provide better training.

Well said!

Ten years ago when I bought my luggage, I was just about the only one with red luggage. Now it seems everyone else has red too! If they've just come with mustard yellow, in a few years it will be common. I guess the best thing is to buy whatever color you like and use fabric paint to personalize.

I guess the main thing I need to understand here, is that.

#1. are you upset about the bag being ripped or about the horrible customer service?

I will be the first to agree that really good service on cruise lines, ( even while booking them) is getting harder to come by.

Although I have only been on a handfull of cruises, I fly for business on average of once a week.

To me.. Luggage is just ( the cost of doing business) It might be pretty colored, or have a sexy handle. but it's just an overpriced version of what they put your stuff in at the grocery store. It's the stuff inside that matters. A bag is just a bag.

If you dont want to sail RCCL because of bad customer service thats one thing? but. Over a bag? Lets be honest. They get piled up on a cart, shoved in a haul put on a plane. They are'nt supposed to last that long. If it was really new and really ruined go back to the luggage manufacturer. If you bought good luggage it will be under warranty. If you bought cheap luggage, thats the chance you take.

But again. Pick your battles. If this is going to be yours. Fight, brother fight. But remember, your lucky to win one battle. make sure this is the one you really want to fight.

While I am sympathetic to the posters above who suffered losses, let me offer my counter perspective. Why the assumption that these losses are the responsibility of the cruiseline?

Because just as the cruise line has the reasonable expectation to be paid for the services it provides to customers, the customers have the reasonable expectation that the services provided will include taking good care of items entrusted to the cruise line.

If something is stolen from a bookbag at the mall, is the mall responsible?

The mall would be responsible if it offered a paid service to take care of the bookbag while the customer shopped.

If I hand my bag to a taxi driver and the handle breaks off in his hand is the driver responsible?

If the drive handled it in a negligent manner, then yes. If you overloaded the bag beyond the capabilities of the handle, then no.

I think that society seems to be moving to the view that if I suffer damage, someone must make it right.

And too many businesses are moving to the view that, “We are not responsible – buy at your own risk –oh, and sign this contract while you’re at it so we can be double-sure you can blame us!”

While I would certainly give both sides of the argument the benefit of the doubt, the description of the damage seems to lend itself toward negligence on the part of the baggage handlers.

I agree with those points. Customers need to learn to vote with their dollars and campaign their opinions. If a business does something you don’t like, then stop giving them your money, and more importantly, let them and everyone else you can know why you are not going to do business with them any more.

I’m a Delta Million-Miler and I’ve also logged plenty of miles on other airlines. I’ve had plenty of baggage incidents, though no complete disappearances. The worst situation was having a bag and its contents completely crushed by Delta. I think it was literally run over by the baggage handler’s truck. They were very good about handling the claim, and immediately wrote me a check well in excess of the value of the bag and contents to cover the damage. I took the money and bought the highest-rated suitcase at the time, which was a hard-sided Samsonite. It lasted many year, but would suffer the occasional broken wheel or handle, which Delta would handle by giving me FedEx label to have it send for repairs at their expense.

One trip, an American Airlines, the retractable pull handle (not the main handle) was broken. Obviously the baggage handler tried to lift it with that handle and not the main handle and it broke (Delta had done this one, too). American refused to pay for the repair, citing their “contract” which excluded damage to “protruding items such as handles and wheels”. I argued that it wasn’t protruding until the baggage handler grabbed it and pulled on it (it was spring-loaded, and snapped back into a recess when released, so it could not have been left “protruding”). They continued to refuse to repair it. I wrote letters and eventually was given a free round-trip ticket, but no repair. I returned the ticket stating, that I’d rather have them spend the money to repair the bag, and they still refused.

I really liked the bag so I called Samsonite, to find out if I could buy a new handle. They sold me one for less than $10 delivered. It took me about 5 minutes with a screwdriver to replace it. I sent the receipt to American with a letter stating that for $10, they lost a customer, and that I would also make sure to tell as many people as possible. That was well before the days of The Internet, and I have not flown AA since. I vote with my dollars!

I have found that you will get a response from RCCL if you put it in writing. Expect it to take 4-6 weeks to get a response--a telephone call or letter. When you write the original letter--give them a good time window to call you.

It is much easier for CS too ignore you on the phone. A properly worded letter sent too the correct personal works wonders.

Can't anyone just believe the customer anymore? I know it's a novel idea, but I'm old school. Do we all need to be Clarence Darrow? 99.9% of us are completely honest. What happened to trust and benefit of doubt? I think it's just good business sense. Thanks...off my soapbox now ;)

The benifit of the doubt LOL, Are you crazy, I have worked in the service indusrty for 18 years, I have seen every scam you can think of and then some and let me tell you more and more the "always right almighty customer" is not always honest. At the end of the day companies are in business to make money, believing every sob story, lost luggage, damaged luggage costs companies millions every year in service recovery. The ones who can actualy prove their case get reimbursed the ones who kick and moan on these boards do not because they cannot be bothered to follow the system. Do you see insurance companies pay out after car accidents without investigation? Its the same for every business. The day and age of the honest customer is gone and unfortunately companies have to protect them selves against fraudelent claims which are much too frequent. I would research your figures before claiming 99% of people are honest, hahaha I would love to live in that world.

Jason Paul

Voyager of the Seas

November 3, 2007

How about the manufacturer, maybe it was defective. or you can check with your credit card company - they may cover it depending on how long you have had it.

Actually no you can't. I worked in customer service for years and just got really cynical because the majority of the people calling were lying or just trying to cause a problem or get something for free. I own a business now but I am very careful to be nice but firm. I can't stay in businesses if I get taken advantage of.

the fact that I have a picture of the luggage outside the terminal with no wheel on it. People don't spend 3k on a vacation and buy the insurance to try and swindle the cruise line or insurance co out of $200. What a hassle it was the rest of our vacation "dragging" around a 50 lb bag.

I know exactly how you feel. DH bought a new bag for a cruise we took two weeks ago. When we got off the ship and picked up our bag before customs, it looked like it was ten years old.

I just don't get how you don't expect your luggage to be manhandled. It is just the way it works. That is why you buy luggage with the best warranty. The best one is briggs and riley. Covers everything for a lifetime. It is just luggage. Get over it.

Archived