What do you girls pay for your Formal Gown?

kiraryker

I currently own about 10 floor length formals, and 8 nice cocktail dresses. Those cost anywhere from $12 (at ross!) to $200 (nice bridesmaid dress, but I wouldn't have bought it on my own!). However- I don't think I'd spend more than $80 if I didn't "have" to buy it. When I used to have a ross- and a need for formals- I would buy 3 or 4 whenever they were on sale for under $20. I miss ross!

However- I found out this week not a SINGLE one of those dresses still fits me- even my "safety" dresses, that used to be too big. The only one that looked almost like it fit (would need a body sausage with it!) wasn't hemmed yet.

So I went out last night for emergency dress shopping and found 2 cocktail dresses for $50 each (on sale from $70). I don't have time to get a dress hemmed, so I couldn't go for floor length formal.

Most of my gowns/cocktail dresses cost an average of $80.00, as low as $25.00 for a gown on my last cruise (3 years ago) I am getting older and things dont sit where they used to YIKES lol, I just bought a beautiful figure flattering gown for $280.00. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would spend that kind of money on a gown for 1 evening. I tried on so many (all prices) I found that the more expensive, better designers gowns hid my lard better!

I found a beautiful black formal pantsuit for my prom my senior year (2004). My mom and I both fell in love with it and I think we spent 300 on it!:eek: That's alot for us, but I had only bought one other dress the entire time I was in hs. I managed to borrow, or was given, 10 other dresses for all my dances, balls, proms, etc so we splurged on it. It's a black halter top with black beading that has side 'panels' that go to the floor and black sheer pants. I plan on wearing it in August, but I have to lose 15 pounds or so before then. :o And have it altered again. It's a classic design so I don't feel that it will go out of style anytime soon.

I'm all about cheap shoes because it seems that every single pair of expensive shoes hurt my feet no matter how well they fit. My cheap Payless heels get 10x more wear and feel great. :D

Bought two Ralph Lauren black label dresses for this cruise-- $600 (at Century 21) and $400 (Neiman Marcus outlet at Woodbury Commons), but both were originally priced at $2200 each, so more than 75% off. Plus they are classic styles I can easily wear again. To me, it's so worth it to spend a little more for fantastic dresses (you can't beat the quality and the cut) than to spend $300 bucks a pop on a so so Tahari or Laundry dress from Bloomingdales.

Did not realize Tahari and Laundry are considered "so so".

Bought two Ralph Lauren black label dresses for this cruise-- $600 (at Century 21) and $400 (Neiman Marcus outlet at Woodbury Commons), but both were originally priced at $2200 each, so more than 75% off. Plus they are classic styles I can easily wear again. To me, it's so worth it to spend a little more for fantastic dresses (you can't beat the quality and the cut) than to spend $300 bucks a pop on a so so Tahari or Laundry dress from Bloomingdales.

I am going to be in Palm Springs this winter. I hear that they have fantastic outlet shopping in that area. Does anyone know about it? What is Century 21? Would I be able to find it there? What about a Neiman Marcus outlet? What about comparable outlets?

You did so well. Once we visited the Woodbury Commons. It was pouring and DH & I managed to buy nada. He said "Never Again". From there we drove to Albany, where I bought wonderful cashmere sweaters on sale at great prices. That was when there was a Filene's...a few years ago.

To the poster who remarked that she didn't know that Laundry and Tahari were "so-so". Isn't it all relative? If it fits well and it's your style, just go for it!

I usually look for deals. Just ordered two off of Coldwater Creek for 70% off. One is more formal than the other. My son is having a destination wedding in April on the beach so if I like the one dress (less formal) then I may wear that one for that and the other I would wear for the cruise.

Archived