DISEMBARKING IN BARCELONA?

We are on the Brilliance, August 6 sailing from Barcelona. We are disembarking on August 18, also in Barcelona-due to arrive at 8a.m.We have a 10:40 a.m. flight to JFK in N.Y.- Do you think we can make the flight? Thanks!

John

Brilliance- Mediterranean- Venice

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;6;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john&kelly:

We are on the Brilliance, August 6 sailing from Barcelona. We are disembarking on August 18, also in Barcelona-due to arrive at 8a.m.We have a 10:40 a.m. flight to JFK in N.Y.- Do you think we can make the flight? Thanks!

John

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ship may be due to arrive at 8 am,but the ship has to clear customs before you can disembark..then get a cab to the airport,check in,clear security,and get to your gate.I would say you are cutting it VERY close.If something happened that the ship was late docking you would not make it. If you have the chance to change your flight to a later time I wouls do it. maybe someone esle will have a different take on this,but to answer your question..no I don' think you will make it.

Karen

Ü

Karen

Thanks- you are kind of confirming my feeling about this. My flight is with Delta, and they want something like $200 per ticket to change flights icon_eek.gif. Sooo, about all I can do is go to guest relations aboard ship and ask if there is any way we can "jump ship" as early as possible, and hope for the best! I've heard that sometimes they can arrange for people who are pressed for connections to be among the first off the ship. thanks again, and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

John

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;6;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

John, do you have insurance? At least that way should worst happen...your arrangements back would be guaranteed (even if it meant an extra night in Barcelona! icon_cool.gif). On a more positive note, many times the ships arrive early to ports...perhaps this will even be the case! icon_smile.gif Since you're stuck, you might as well start thinking positive! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

...until our August 28, 2004 Splendour of the Seas

Hi Nanette!

yes, once I realized that I could miss connections, and since final payment isn't due until next month, I hastened to add insurance( I know, should have done it right off)! I sometimes wait(or pass) on insurance because I always arrive at port city at least 1 day before cruise.

Anyway, there are worse fates than being in Barcelona for an extra day, I just could do without the beating the airline hands out!Good hearing from you!

John icon_cool.gif

We are also disembarking in Barcelona and are on the 10:40 Delta Flight June 12. Our agent has assured. us there won't be a problem. I know the ships let you off first for an early departure. I would not go with an RCCL transfer, however. Take a taxi. Went on the constallation out of San Juan and had a 10 AM flight home. We were the first off the ship at 8 AM and had ourluggage on the truck and were on the bus by 8:10. The driver would not leave until the bus was full, when we got to airport ou luggage was almost last off the truck . Long lines inside, and we made it with 10 minutes to spare. That was too close! Taxis for us from now on. Muzzy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cruising diva:

I am also on the 10:40 flight. How far is the airport from the dock? Thank you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Approx. 8 miles

Karen

Ü

Note that the 8 am arrival time is merely suggestive. On many of our cruises, the ship pulls in far before that time in order to give the stevedores sufficient time to clear customs and to offload luggage. We just returned from a Med cruise with a stated 8 am arrival time, but the ship docked shortly after midnight and the first passengers were allowed to disembark around 3 am.

If you've paid the cruise line to take care of your ground transfers and air transport home, you'll bet they'll do everything within their power to make sure everybody gets on that 10:40 flight with time to spare. Otherwise, they're on the hook for rebooking all their passengers onto alternative flights and they really don't want that responsibility.

Anyhow, the airport is a short 15-20 minute drive from the pier, so I wouldn't sweat it. Let RCCL do the worrying - you're on vacation!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Until the Insignia Inaugural sailing (4/3/2004)

I am booked on the 10:40 flight as well (June 5). RCI stated anything after 10 am was fine with them. I think we will all be ok. Happy cruising.

Sovereign of the Seas 2/20/04

Splendour of the Seas 5/29/04

If you are not taking the Cruise lines transportation then I do suggest that you arrange for a taxi to meet you.

Depending on how many people Disembark right away there could be a lineup for a cab.

Having someone ready and waiting for you could ease some of the pressure.

Susan

Splendour of the Seas - August 9, 2003

• 2 weeks later...

Reserving a cab is excellent advice. Also, get a price quote in advance. I don't know what the situation is like in Barcelona, but when we disembarked in Piraeus (Athens) last week, the American tourists formed an orderly queue that quickly fell into disorder as aggressive taxi drivers tried to "cherry pick" certain riders out of the line, such as passengers who wanted to go to the airport (for the bigger fare) or those loaded with luggage (maybe they're allowed a suitcase surcharge?).

Passengers were being quoted different fares, even those going to identical locations. Some were quoted 10E to downtown Athens, while others were quoted 40E. Given the scarcity of cabs at the pier and the aggressive behaviour of some of the drivers, fistfights nearly broke out between departing cruisers. Not a pleasant way to end one's vacation, I must say.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Until the Insignia Inaugural sailing (4/3/2004)

Archived