The disadvantages of learning too much

ejkj84

So I love all of the information you can learn from these boards, it is amazing. However, I was wondering if you have ever learned too much. For example, something that if you never would have know about, it never would have bothered you. However, since you knew about it or were expecting something because of these boards, and it did not turn out as you anticipated it, it made you mad or annoyed. Sorry if that is confusing. I basically just want to know if learning too much ever led to dissatisfaction for you. Please post your story..

No, actually I believe just the opposite. Learning as much as you can helps adjust your expectations so that you are not disappointed by things that "would surprise" you once on board.

For example, I have learned that the deli is no longer on the Imagination. Now I know this does not sound like a big thing to most people, but my daily lunch was my grilled reuben sandwich ( I know, I am boring eating the same thing all the time...that's just me).

I would have been disappointed had I arrived unaware that the deli was gone. Now I know to adjust my expectation and look for alternatives. No surprises means less disappointment to me.

It can go both ways, I have seen countless reviews and comments from people that thought some event or food item or cruise director or itinerary or band would be on a certain ship. When things didnt go as planned they were upset and disapponted that something they had seen on this board or in a recent caper wasnt offered.

The people that were on the cruise without expectations didnt realize something was missing.

I still like knowing, but I wont micro-manage my cruise experience.

No surprises means less disappointment to me.

I agree.

if i find something out ahead of time at least it gives me sometime to get over it before I cruise. Sometimes those little dissappointments can ruin a whole vacation.

Back a few years ago when we did the Miracle--which was being used for Superbowl from reading I knew the ship will be getting in late. Most of the people did not know it would be late and were not happy campers.

so yes--it is better to be armed with fact then be dissappointed later

So I love all of the information you can learn from these boards, it is amazing. However, I was wondering if you have ever learned too much. For example, something that if you never would have know about, it never would have bothered you. However, since you knew about it or were expecting something because of these boards, and it did not turn out as you anticipated it, it made you mad or annoyed. Sorry if that is confusing. I basically just want to know if learning too much ever led to dissatisfaction for you. Please post your story..

Personally I believe what I learned here helped to make my first cuise experience a great one. Many of the things that may have caught me off guard or annoyed me I had already heard about so I just took them in stride.

You take what you need and leave the rest on the table. For example If you listen to a lot of people you would think kids should be outlawed on cruise ships. Just go and have the best time you can have.

This is a good post and not confusing at all.:) I like to be armed with information as well and it has bitten me in the behind a few times but I still prefer it.

If I had to pick a downside to this board it would be ALL the Stuff I'm packing. I leave tomorrow. I can tell you right now I would not have packed: 2 cases Pepsi, 1 case water, surge protector, extention cord, battery operated clock with night light that stay on all night (that I had to order online for $20.00), my own snorkel gear, biodegradable sunscreen, door decorations, insulted mug, door hangerover thingy, extra hangers. I know there's more, but I'm exhausted from packing.

But on the light side, I'm so glad I found this board. I have learned more great things that I know will make our trip more enjoyable. And for the extra money I spent on the things above, I know I will save just with the excursions I booked on my own. I would have never known that one and would have booked with the cruiseline and spent a huge bundle.

I've gotta agree with what most of the folks have said. Knowledge is power, forewarned is forearmed, etc...

Case in point, when I arrived at the terminal at Galveston I knew, from these forums, that they started boarding folks from the left side, back row first. Guess where I parked myself?

For me it's the little things that I happen across that make a difference. Not a day goes by that I don't discover something new here that I'll use on a future cruise.

If I had to pick a downside to this board it would be ALL the Stuff I'm packing. I leave tomorrow. I can tell you right now I would not have packed: 2 cases Pepsi, 1 case water, surge protector, extention cord, battery operated clock with night light that stay on all night (that I had to order online for $20.00), my own snorkel gear, biodegradable sunscreen, door decorations, insulted mug, door hangerover thingy, extra hangers. I know there's more, but I'm exhausted from packing.

But on the light side, I'm so glad I found this board. I have learned more great things that I know will make our trip more enjoyable. And for the extra money I spent on the things above, I know I will save just with the excursions I booked on my own. I would have never known that one and would have booked with the cruiseline and spent a huge bundle.

LMAO!! You get an A on your research paper!!:D

I don't really have a story, but I DO know that when I started doing research before my first cruise, I googled "packing lists" and came up with TONS of lists, some of which had things on them that the other lists didn't have. My mom and i, for a 5 day cruise, packed 3 LARGE suitcases, and didn't use over half the stuff, lol! I think learning about the ports of call is a good thing, but I agree that sometimes knowing TOO much can be confusing!

I managed to cruise five times before having discovered Cruise Critic, and I loved every one of those cruises.

Do I think I'm better informed for my next cruise? Of course!

I've read many, many glowing reviews about the Miracle. If my own experience turns out to be not quite as perfect as some others, will I be disappointed? Well, probably. A little, even though I certainly don't expect perfection, it's always a little disappointing when someone else has a great cabin steward and great table mates and servers and you don't have the same experience.

And please don't say it's because I'm "picky" either. I realize EVERY person is different and EVERY cruise is different.

I mean, I had never heard of a 45-day letter. So, I wrote a nice letter to Carnival and guess what? I got a return letter that thanked me but said NOTHING about calling them and receiving a goodie. So, I was a little disappointed. Nearly everyone else was told to call for their gift. Of course, I hadn't thought to write to them before, so nothing ventured, nothing gained. In my case, nothing WAS gained! That doesn't mean we should only write because we hope to receive something in return.

I learned about booking my own air, and where to stay the night before the cruise. I've learned a ton about the ports I'll be visiting and about beaches and excursions.

But I learned an awful lot all on my own by cruising and learning through doing!

I'm not packing 99% of the things I've read on the packing lists.

Really, a lot of these topics are helpful, but there are so many varied opinions that they're often just confusing. IMO, of course. The individual is the only person who can determine what works best for them.

If I had to pick a downside to this board it would be ALL the Stuff I'm packing. I leave tomorrow. I can tell you right now I would not have packed: . . . . insulted mug, . . . . I know there's more, but I'm exhausted from packing.

Never mind all that stuff, I would want to find the person who insulted my mug. ;)

I am so blessed I found CC. I tell ecveryone I know about it that is even thinking of planning a cruise. Along with the info about CC I also tell them to take all reviews with a grain of salt. As far as reveiws go I like to read them but do not look at them as truths. Some people only like to complain.

I was completely cluessless booking our first cruise. Thanks to this board I learned to book private shore excursion That where wonderfull! I learned a few tricks about cruising like taking pop on board and ordering whatever I wanted to eat. The list could go on forever. I would of been lost without everyones help.

So THANK YOU fellow CCer's you help me make the best of my vacation:D

Before going on Elation (16 cruises ago )down to PV Mexico I went on the boards and found out it was verrry cooool to not say COLD on the way down

I packed extra warm clothes for everyone because although sunny it was BONE CHILLING

I'm glad I listened also I would not recommend this cruise in winter .We went in March

Never swam in the ocean

Still had a great time!!!

I always get useful info before I go

Thanks for all the help in the past

I agree that the more information you have the better off you are. After saying that, if I understand the OP, I have had a couple of cases where too much information back fired on me:

1) One of our first cruises was the Celebration out of Galveston. One of the things they did was set up a big screen in the back lounge for the Spurs playoff games. It was great! Most of us were Texans, of course, and we all cheered the Spurs on together. It was almost as good as being there. I had a great time and I'm not even really a basketball fan. However, I had the misconception that they do this on all the ships.

When the Astros were in the world series I fully expected to watch the games on a big screen on the Conquest and told everyone that's what Carnival does. Turns out all we had was about 50 of us crammed into the sports bar. I was really disappointed in Carnival. I didn't realize that our former Spurs big screen treat was a once in a lifetime deal. I was disappointed in the Astros, too, but that's another story.

2) I got the great idea on this board to bring a white board along when you're in a group. We thought that was a great idea. We hung it on the most centrally located cabin so the family could make everyone else aware of there whereabouts. Well, we happened to be cruising in July (read, no school) and our white board was fodder for every foul minded kid on the ship. We were even blessed with pictures from teenage budding artists. That's one great idea I wish I hadn't read about on here. Lesson learned.

---Bruce

Before going on Elation (16 cruises ago )down to PV Mexico I went on the boards and found out it was verrry cooool to not say COLD on the way down

I packed extra warm clothes for everyone because although sunny it was BONE CHILLING

I'm glad I listened also I would not recommend this cruise in winter .We went in March

Never swam in the ocean

Still had a great time!!!

I always get useful info before I go

Thanks for all the help in the past

You were on the Elation 16 years ago:confused:

No, actually I believe just the opposite. Learning as much as you can helps adjust your expectations so that you are not disappointed by things that "would surprise" you once on board.

For example, I have learned that the deli is no longer on the Imagination. Now I know this does not sound like a big thing to most people, but my daily lunch was my grilled reuben sandwich ( I know, I am boring eating the same thing all the time...that's just me).

I would have been disappointed had I arrived unaware that the deli was gone. Now I know to adjust my expectation and look for alternatives. No surprises means less disappointment to me.

No more deli? How come? I'm like you. I get my daily lunch from the deli. Daughter gets pizza, I get deli sandwich.

No more deli? Are they doing away with all of them or what? :(

Laura

Archived