Discover Scuba in Roatan or stick with Snorkeling?

adams.580

Hello!

I need some advice from experienced divers. We are leaving shortly for a cruise on NCL Spirit with a stop in Roatan. My husband and I are considering the Discover Scuba dive excursion. We have no experience with diving, but are experienced snorkelers. We have always wanted to try Scuba, and everyone raves about Roatan. Should we give it a shot or stick with snorkeling? I am worried about safety, but on the other hand, I don't want to be stuck in a classroom for hours while on vacation.

What do you think? Has anyone done this trip through the ship lately - how was the dive site and the equipment?

I got my PADI certification during a stay on Utila, the next island over from Roatan. The reef is incredible, and the experience of being weightless 60 feet down in blue space is just totally different from snorkelling. That being said, I have no idea of what onboard scuba training programs are like. I wouldn't worry too much about dive safety, though - you'll be in more danger driving to your departure port.

I wouldn't expect more than 60 minutes of instruction for a Discover Scuba dive, probably closer to 30 minutes. If you like snorkeling, I'm pretty you'd enjoy scuba. The one warning I have to offer is that you'll like it so much that you'll be compelled to get certified and the next thing you know you'll be planning your vacations around the quality of the diving.

if you don't do the certification to scuba in roatan, the snorkeling is outrageous!!.. we just returned and its probably the best snorkeling I've ever done... right from the beach, no need to take a boat.. go to the end of tabyana beach at west bay and the reef is right out there.. a very short swim from shore... the coral and fish were extraordinary!!!

The one warning I have to offer is that you'll like it so much that you'll be compelled to get certified and the next thing you know you'll be planning your vacations around the quality of the diving.

That's what happened to us.

I did the discover Scuba on a RCCL trip to St Thomas. No class room work required. We got a brief overview of the use of the equipment on the ride to the dive site. I have to agree with the warnings as I have gottne certified and will be diving Cozumel next month

adams.580-

You should definitely stay away from the Discover Scuba. If you try it, you will probably be infected with 'divers down syndrome'.

The disease usually starts with either a Discover Scuba or intro class, or meeting some really cool divers (like on this board).

The progression starts with Open Water certification, and usually continues on through Advanced Open Water.

After awhile you start to want more cards... Deep, Night, Photography, Rescue, etc. Some cases progress to Divemaster and various levels of Instructors.

Somewhere in your home and/or car, an area will take on that special aroma of salt water and neoprene funk.

Your choice of photography and video equipment starts with the availability of an underwater case.

Trips will progress from "think there might be some diving there?" to "how is the diving there?" to "I'm not going there if the diving isn't great!"

Your wardrobe will start to turn tropical, with T-shirts featuring dive flags, fish, and slightly lewd puns. Socks are history.

You will also start hanging out in places divers are known to frequent. This can range from dive shops and internet boards, to run-down watering holes near dive boats. The next best thing to actually going diving is sitting around swapping stories with other divers.

If this sounds fun to you, then do that discover dive, but don't say you weren't warned. ;)

I'm an extreme case... I'm a Floridian and a marine biologist, and talked a new gentleman friend into trying diving about 14 years ago. He became the perfect dive buddy, and later my husband.

Come back here to tell us how it went!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

:D You guys are cracking me up! Okay, so I booked it already! I have always thought about diving, but the thought of taking my first dive in a rock quarry in SW Ohio just didn't get me pumped. So I am sure I will be hooked after the trip to Roatan and will sign up for the real deal as soon as I get back! In fact I have looked into it already. There are a ton of classes around here with pretty convenient schedules. I will be sure to let you know how it goes down there! Thanks for the advice everyone!

Everyone on this is board is telling you the truth. You are going to love it! I decided to get certified on the off chance I would want to dive on my next cruise. I got my Open Water certification September 23 and have since gotten my Advanced (10/28/07) and my Enriched Air (10/30/07). I am already working on getting a couple more specialties. I am hooked and love blowing bubbles. I already have two dives booked for my cruise next week and have started planning for the next one in April.

It is a great addiction!

The same thing happened to us during a shore excursion at Cozumel. The only relief my wife and I have found for this sickness is repeated dive trip to anywhere. We dove Roatan the 1st time in Oct 07 and it has to be one of the top ten dive we have every done. If you take the plunge, welcome to the club future dive buddies. No wining about your bank account, we already know.

dive soon and often

Adams.580-

Do that quarry dive - it will be the best experience you can ever get.

I have found that folks that certify under yucky conditions tend to do better than the folks that have only seen pools and crystal clear tropical water.

You will also appreciate Roatan more!

Have a great time, and welcome to the addiction!

Wendy

I have found that folks that certify under yucky conditions tend to do better than the folks that have only seen pools and crystal clear tropical water.

After our course in an indoor pool in New Jersey, we went down to Ramrod Key for our certification dives. Weather was crappy so we ended up doing check-out dives in a canal with low visability. Hey, if we could manage there, we could manage anywhere!

The next day we were diving in the ocean and the day after that we did a nigth dive.

Archived