What is weather like on April 27 & May 17 dates?

chemist661

I have got some online quotes for these two dates. The prices I got is as follows:

1. April 27. 6 day cruise RT Seattle. Inside Alaska passage. (1st cruise of season). The prices seem very good.

Balcony on NCL Star $825pp. Includes all taxes, etc.

Jr Suite on NCL Star $910pp. Includes all taxes, etc.

It may be a little cool this time of year. Can get nice cabins on this cruise.

2. May 17. 7 day cruise RT Seattle. Inside Alaska passage. (one of the least expensive dates from early May to mid Sept.--that was why I picked it)

Oceanview (obstructed) $757pp. Includes all taxes.

Next available oceanview is about $180pp more.

Has anyone sailed in late April? Is it worth getting the nicer cabin for cooler weather?

Thanks for your help.

Many have reported that there is little difference between a mini-suite and a balcony. I suppose if you prefer the later sailing, and do not plan to spend much time in your room anyway, and inside or outside would suffice. This is largely a personal decision, but many highly recommend a balcony in AK simply because there is so much to take in.

EDIT: Remember to take into account the the 4/27 sailing departs Vancouver but returns to Seattle (not R/T Seattle) and is only 6 days in duration and does not stop in Skagway. That will likely add to your travel costs when returning to a different port. That might kill the deal for me. But would give you the chance to see two great port cities.

As far as the weather, it is going to be relatively cool during either sailing, and there will be little difference as far as impact on what wildlife you may or may not see because it is so early in the season.

Let us know what you decide.

I have been on cruises 3 times in May and I truly prefer that month. I have also been there in July and Sept. Weather you just do not know or even attempt to try to judge but I have had some very nice weather. Sure it is cold, in the 50;s. I have had rain in July and Sept. IYou also might get a sprinkle or two in May but just come prepared with a medium weight coat, umbrella's gloves, etc. and just layer your clothing. I have been 2 times in the middle of May and the end of May.

Marilyn

I booked the August 30 sailing on the star. Cost $120pp more but works out better schedule wise. Nice thing is final payment is June 6 & if any of the summer sailings go on sale after their final payments dates, I could switch to one of those. May be wishful thinking on my part but who knows what next year will bring.

Thank you for all your input. :)

We prefer to cruise Alaska in May----the weather is generally pleasant and the ice and snow is still at the upper elecations so you still get the "Alaska in winter" feeling. It is amazing to drive up the highway to the Yukon (out of Skagway) and go from spring to winter and then back through the seasons as you drive back again. The temps could be warm in Skagway, but the lakes and mountains are still frozen and you really feel like you are in the great outdoors.

I booked the August 30 sailing on the star. Cost $120pp more but works out better schedule wise. Nice thing is final payment is June 6 & if any of the summer sailings go on sale after their final payments dates, I could switch to one of those. May be wishful thinking on my part but who knows what next year will bring.

Thank you for all your input. :)

The fall color will start showing for end of August cruising. You will have a good time.

As one who lives up here, the tourist industry really doesn't get into full gear until right before Memorial Day weekend in late May. Ships may do earlier cruises but lots of activities/excursions don't get going until late May. If you are planning a visit to Denali, shuttle busses don't even go the full route until early June. Late May into June is much better for touring.

For myself, I don't really consider before mid May inside passage cruising, and interior Alaska before very end of May, with that time, ALWAYS extended into June.

A KEY point to consider with this cruise selection- is Tracy Arm, you are never going to get to the glaciers going that early. AND, with NCL, it is only recommended by me, that you always, budget in their add on Tracy Arm tour, for about $175pp. IF one of these sailings is the NCL Pearl, that is a good choice, with Glacier Bay and going in May, offers, a look at the humpback migration, on your 2 sea days.

I'm looking at the 5-4 Pearl for just those reasons, but will also have another "in season" trip, later next year.

I've have sailed in this early timeframe- 4-30-06, had 6 out of 7 days of rain. MANY miserable passengers who had no clue on the given of not getting far into Tracy Arm. It was a free trip, so worth it for me, but not if I had put out significant money.

Archived