Canadians and Fuel Surcharges

BobBeaSea

This thread is on the Carnival board. It seems Carnival is backing off applying the fuel surcgarge for cruises booked before Carnival's announcement date in Nov. This is apparently for some Provinces (ON & BC so far) who have laws on the books regarding contract changes after the fact. It appears a lot of Canadians are having their surcharges removed. Perhaps Great Britain as well.

Link below. I wonder if this is true, it seems to be, and whether RCI will have to comply as well. My apologies if this has already been discussed. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=668922

It seems it just applies to Canadians who have purchased the cruise through a travel agent. But this does seem interesting. Although I'm not sure how successful you would be if you booked direct with RCI as then you would fall into US contract laws. Where are all these arm chair lawyers who want to sue the cruiseline when their eggs are not runny enough when you need them?

On a brighter note, if you're from Alberta maybe you can bring your own oil.

I wonder if it's worth the fight. Some one once said to pick your battles carefully.

ok is this not a typical Canadian post or what eh?

:D Apparently there will be no "fighting" involved. Carnival is automatically reversing the charge. If you booked through a TA it's worth a phone call.

Looking forward to Monday when I can contact my travel agent! I seem to recall a few years back, they (RCCL) tried to increase a port charge and we were NOT obligated to pay this additional fee either. Our travel agent was on top of this immediately so hopefully the same holds true for the fuel surcharge. It is about time Canadians got a bit of a deal being as RCCL doesn't seem to like our 'canadian dollar'.

having just read that thread before finding this one -- it looks to be across the board,regardless with how it was booked. One poster said the line just said it had reconsidered --- could this be the whole in the dam?

Archived