havensight mall in st thomas

titomalu

I don't know if you all have noticed but these folks decided to change things recently, quite to the dissatisfaction of many cruisers.

I was in St. Thomas on the AOS last week. When we got out of the ship I was looking for the taxis right away, next to the ship. We were told that because of complaints from the shops, all cruisers had to walk all the way to the entrance of the mall to get the cabs.

I don't know about you, but there and then I decided that I was not going to buy anything in the mall and was not going to contribute any of my money to the shops.

My mother is 74 and she was not at all happy for the walk. I saw many senior citizens complaining likewise.

I don't know what they were thinking. Does anybody else feel the same way?

I do feel as you do. My husband walks with a cane. I also have problems walking and was most upset when we had to walk all the way through Havensight. (I have edema from heat and my feet swell to two sizes larger than the shoes I normally wear.) It was hot, humid and there was no shuttle etc. to take us to where the taxi's were.

We wanted to get a few things in town, but because of the walk were forced to buy at Havensight. There was a spot that said shuttle rides back to the ship. We waited for over half an hour and no one even came by, much less stopped to pick us up. We started walking back and a tour driver with the open safari type vehicle rode by and stopped to drop some people off. We asked him if we could ride back with him and he graciously allowed that. We tipped him a couple of bucks each, but it was worth it.

After lunch, when we were going to Megan's Bay (not my husband-other family members) there were taxi's available right near the ship. I hope this is not going to be how things are.

For young people, I think it's great to walk, but for those of us who are older or have problems walking great distances, I would like to be able to get a cab near the ship. If this is how it's going to be, I guess we will have to go on cruises that skip St. Thomas or just stay on the ship.

Does anyone know if you take a tour now if the tour operators can come close to the ship or if we would still have to walk through Havensight? If they are able to come close to the ship, then perhaps when we go in January, we can take a tour again.

My understanding is that if there are 3 or more ships the taxis can line up at the dock as usual. But if there are 1 or 2 ships then they line up by the entrance gate to the shopping area.

Pretty sure if you have a pre-paid tour reserved they pick up at the dock as usual.

You may want to communicate with the Havensight Shopping Association, here is their website http://www.havensightmall.com/. Let them know your experiences with the shuttle. Since this is a recent change maybe they need to fine tune some things like transportation for passengers with difficultly walking from the dock to the new taxi area.

--Islander

Islander: I have another question - we will be in St Thomas in January (on the Triumph) cruising with 9 of us and I want to take my mom/family over to Saphire beach; will the open air safari busses (jettis) pick us up close to the ship and will they go to Saphire?

I have been to St Thomas on many occasions and love Saphire. Our plan is to do some fun stuff over there and then head into town to do a bit of shopping.

I am also jealous that you get to live in St Thomas; I have often thought of selling everything I have and moving to the Island :)

Hello dst,

Not 100% sure which you are refering to so here are two responses...

Open air safaris are used by many taxi drivers. The above comments would apply; so if there are 1-2 ships taxis will line up by the entrance of the dock/shopping area, if there are 3+ ships they will be dockside. Taxis will take you right to Sapphire Beach.

Open air safaris are used by "dollar ride" drivers. The 'dollar ride' follows parts of the public bus route. You'd have to walk maybe .25 mile to a bus stop. The east end route does pass Sapphire's entrance, you'd get off on the main road and walk to the beach.

--Islander

I like the convenience of shopping at Havensight, but we have a tour with Rumbaba charters arranged for the day. We need to get a cab right away and head over to Red Hook to meet up with the charter. I am concerned about taking the extra time to walk all the way through the mall to get a cab! I was planning on stopping at the mall to shop on the way back to the ship. I hope we don't run into timing problems.....:(

My understanding is that if there are 3 or more ships the taxis can line up at the dock as usual. But if there are 1 or 2 ships then they line up by the entrance gate to the shopping area.

Pretty sure if you have a pre-paid tour reserved they pick up at the dock as usual.

You may want to communicate with the Havensight Shopping Association, here is their website http://www.havensightmall.com/. Let them know your experiences with the shuttle. Since this is a recent change maybe they need to fine tune some things like transportation for passengers with difficultly walking from the dock to the new taxi area.

--Islander

Thanks for the info Islander. I think we were the only ship there in October or maybe there was one more. I can't remember. In January, there should be several so perhaps it will be a non-issue.

I will email Havensight though. Thanks again.

Taxis are allowed on Havensight Dock when there are three ships at the dock and everyday at 12:00 Noon. All prepaid tours are picked up on the dock. All taxis can drop back on the dock. Havensight has a free shuttle that picks up on the dock and takes you to the mall. It is a tractor pulling a shuttle. It is brightly painted and said Free Shuttle. It also drops you back at the ships. Part of the reason for this change was the complaints from the passengers concerning taxies being too aggressive.

Archived