Comfortable and fashionable footware

sunpsyche

Ladies, I'm looking for your wise input into some seriously fashionable, yet ohhh so comfy, footware. My goal is to find something I would be proud to sport around Italy, and yet have my feet enjoy the experience also! I'm talking about major walking/hiking the hilly paths and, hopefully, looking good with a skirt. Is that too much to hope for? I am hearing some positive things about Cole Hahns, tho I've not been in the stores to check out styles or fit lately. I' d appreciate any guidance experienced world trekkers possess!

Hi, I am just back from 2 weeks in Italy, my 16th trip there, so have a bit of experience with shoes that are functional and fashionable. We walked between 6 and 12 miles each day, all kinds of terrain.

I packed two pair of Cole Hahns, my favorite travel shoes. The ones with Nike Air technology are wonderful, supportive and come in a variety of styles. I like cushioning as the cobblestones and uneven pavement can be touch on the feet.

For evening, I packed a pair of black Ecco leather boots. mid heel, cute and looked great with pants. I did not pack skirts (only do that in summer) so wore them with slacks and jeans.

Depending on your feet (mine are fairly narrow while still a medium width) you might also check out Mephisto, and Clark's Prive line as well as Ecco. There are lots of good options these days for stylish comfort.

Happy shopping!

I also agree with the Cole Haan suggestion (it's not Hahn).

Other good brands that might have what you're looking for are Donald Pliner, and Stuart Weitzman (Weitzman does a version of "the Belgian Shoe" in many colors that might be what you're looking for).

whiskey%2Bsuede%2Btraveler.jpg (original Belgian Shoe)

These three brands run in the $200. range and are all very good value for the quality, style and cost ratio.

If you're willing to spend in the $400. range, look at Taryn Rose. Dr. Rose is a podiatrist who came up with a shoe collection some years ago that offers extreme comfort for those with problem feet, mixed with cute styling. Honestly, not my cup of tea in terms of styling but I know some women won't wear anything else. They're sold at Saks and other better stores.

4998-77318-d.jpg (one of her many styles)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will have to check online to see who carries the Donald Pliner, and Stuart Weitzman locally. I know Dillard's has the Cole Haan, although I'm not sure how extensive a collection.

(Thanks for the spelling correction, Jane.)

The black Ecco boots sounds like a good option for dressier evenings. My plan is to manage with one very small suitcase, which means leaving the stilletos at home.

I know I will have fun getting ready and even more in Italia!

T

The black Ecco boots sounds like a good option for dressier evenings. My plan is to manage with one very small suitcase, which means leaving the stilletos at home.

I know I will have fun getting ready and even more in Italia!

We packed for two weeks in a carry on each and a backpack and had plenty of clothing options. It can be done without compromising fashion:).

It's Privo by Clark's:D

I wore this model in Alaska (also wore goretex hiking shoes, depending on what we were doing ) There are some Privo models that are slightly dressier. I cannot wear regular Clarks --too narrow for me--but I love the Privos. They do have a "nubby" innersole (massage--I love it--but it annoys many people ) I was fortunate enough to buy mine on sale at Nordstrom.

_5415369.jpg

Merrell has some dressier styles and many of their shoes fit me well. I also like Softspots and Dansko (sandals, not clogs). Mephisto don't fit me well either:rolleyes: www.sierratradingpost.com carries many of the brands already mentioned--including Taryn Rose--older models, great discounts!

I second the vote for the Privo's by Clark's. I also can not wear Clark's but the Privo's are perfect for me. I took a couple different styles to Italy and found walking on the cobbblestones no problem at all!! You can find many styles of them on zappos dot com.

I can wear Clark's but have fallen in love with the Privo line as well. Merrell are very comfortable but a lot more sporty/casual than many of the Privo. I like the Nike Air Cole Haan but they are out of my price range unless I find a really good sale, so the price keeps me from loving them.

I tried on a couple pairs of the Cole Haan w/ Nike air and they didn't fit me well--don't know if it was the style or the brand--might try again, but I haven't seen as many women's styles as men's that I like:rolleyes:

In the past 2 years, Merrells has released some shoes that aren't as "sporty" and casual looking as their moc styles have been. Still a thick sole, though, but I like the Plaze and the Spire.

wolve200382_4168_jb.jpg

wolve125333_4168_jb.jpg

wolve125261_4168_lg.jpg

Appreciate all the advice everyone. Looks like I have a lot of options. Wow, that seirra trading post has great prices on Taryn Rose. I'll have some fun trying to decide.

I had to smile when I read your post, Caviargal. That's my goal, traveling light AND lovely!

HoyaHeel, I actually have the Merrell Spire, which is the bottom shoe you show. It also comes in dark brown. I simply love that shoe. I don't want to wear anything else. It is the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn, bar none, including Easy Spirit and Clark's Privo.

The shoe gives a spring to the step. Plus it is very light weight, even though it doesn't look light weight. I don't know how I can live without this shoe if they ever stop making it. That is how much I love the Merrell Spire! They are perfect for shopping and walks.

I have a Merrell sandal that I absolutely love as well, but I think any sandals without heel straps might not be a great choice for cobblestone. They are my favorite sandals at the moment (Sundial Thong) and the sole of the shoe is not as heavy as most Merrells used to be. So if the Merrells you guys have (like the photos posted) are as comfy as my sandals, they would be great options as well.

I actually have tried on a couple of the Merrells (can't remember the name--similar to the Plaza but that's not it and I couldn't find a photo) and the arch seems to hit too far forward on my foot or something--it's just not comfortable for me. For work, in the winter, I quite often wear my merrell primo II mocs (I have in black and brown, and am wearing a pair right now) They're in between--not as chunky as the original moc styles, but not as streamlined as some of the newer versions. I just keep trying new styles to see if they fit or not:p

Archived