DVD players

eandmburke

No DVD players in veranda or regular cabins...but they do have pay-for-view movies if you want to spend $15 per :eek: movie. Forget it!

TV programs were not so hot, but then we were having so much fun on the ship that who had time for TV? I'll do a full review in a couple of days but for now I'm still wading through the mail and unpacking (we stayed a couple of days in Sao Paolo and just got home yesterday)

Right. Clearly there had been DVD players in the cabins (we had a balcony cabin) and they had been advertised as such; however, they were all removed by our cruise Nov. 11 to Brazil, and the library also was devoid of any DVDs. I think this was false advertising.

We were on the Nov 11th (Miami to Sap Paulo) cruise. We had a balcony cabin (not a suite) and it did have a DVD player. In talking to other passengers, it seemed to be hit-or-miss ... some had players and others didn't. The movie library is kept at the Customer Relations desk on deck four. They have a book of titles (about 150+) that you can sign out for free. DVD's can be checked out even if you cabin doesn't have a player (for example if you brought a portable player or laptop from home).

Sailed 11/24/07 on the Quest in a 1A balcony cabin and there was no DVD player. Also, they had switched the TV remote to a generic one that operates their interactive TV system, so you couldn't switch source so you could use your personal DVD player if you brought it. Happy Sailing!

We're on the Journey 9 Feb 08 and we were led to believe when we purchased this new Azamara premium cruise, that along with the new flat screen TV's there are DVD players and a DVD library. We always bring a bunch of DVD's in a small 24 CD softcase.

We enjoy catching up on old classic movies and newer ones we want to examine again. We watch them on the plane on our laptops.

Are DVD players provided in Journey balcony cabins? Have they blocked the inputs on the flat screen TV?

HAL Oosterdam had beautiful flatscreens with the inputs blocked so we couldn't see our video on the big screen. Their fear must be that cruisers will break the input jacks which is easy to do if one is not patient and uses too much force removing cables improperly.

We want to thank the member who mentioned on the boards that the inputs couldn't be selected with the generic pay movie remote that replaced the brand remote that originally came with the TV. We'll bring a small universal remote (and the code book) in order to select the inputs if they are indeed usable on the Journey.

Azamara is branding itself as a premium cruise line. That would include DVD players in our minds. Wal Mart and Costco have quality DVD players at around 50 dollars retail. I'm sure a better price point would exist when ordering in ship sized quantities. I guess Azamara would rather have us out of the cabin and able to premium spend a bit more.

Even if they provided DVD players, you couldn't use them with their generic remote provided as there is no way to switch input source. The reason given for the generic remote (not the remote that came with the TV), is for interactive function access (room service, excursions, etc). Azamara needs to figure out a way to handle the situation as most pax want to watch DVDs in their cabin, especially on longer cruises with sea days. Happy Sailing!

Hi,

I just returned from a cruise on the Quest. I was in a suite and had a DVD player. I needed some assistance from the media manager, and saw him switch TV inputs on the TV itself. Granted, this was the large TV and I didn't check the smaller TV. Perhaps someone can check it out.

To switch, there were a series of very well concealed buttons on the right hand side near the bottom. These are Samsung TVs and the buttons were designed to blend in (and hide). Look very carefully and you should see them. One changes the TV input.

Hope this helps,

Kathy

Archived