Oh dear! RCCL is required to have fire extinguishers, right?!

I don't remember hearing about this tragedy. Do you have a link?

I don't remember seeing fire extinguishers, but considering how much emphasis RCCL puts on safety and the muster drill, I would be very surprised if they didn't have something in place.

Perhaps someone with more info will chime in.

All cruise ships including the Star Princess have emergency lighting located on the floor in the hallways that guides you to the emergency exits. All cruise ships in service also have sprinkler systems throughout the ship. I don't sit and think about things like this when I am on a cruise. I would rather enjoy myself and know that the crew is equipped to handle situations like fire.

All cruise ships including the Star Princess have emergency lighting located on the floor in the hallways that guides you to the emergency exits. All cruise ships in service also have sprinkler systems throughout the ship. I don't sit and think about things like this when I am on a cruise. I would rather enjoy myself and know that the crew is equipped to handle situations like fire.

Being that there are so many people who die on cruises, it's probably smarter to know what hazards exist so you can be careful. Also, people often get sick on vacations because they let their guard down. But if you want to be reckless, that's your choice.

Being that there are so many people who die on cruises, it's probably smarter to know what hazards exist so you can be careful. Also, people often get sick on vacations because they let their guard down. But if you want to be reckless, that's your choice.

We were on the Jewel of the Seas November 17-25. We had the emergency "Bravo, Bravo, Bravo" call in the middle of the night. At approximently 2:30 am there was a small fire in the laundry room. It was quickly contained and other than being woke up in the middle of the night was not a big deal.

There are sprinklers and they can tell from the bridge exactly what location the fire is. There was a faint smell of smoke on the 2nd floor because that is where the laundry room is located.

If you allow yourself to worry about everything and consider yourself being reckless if you don't I would say that a sad way to live. There are hundreds of people who are killed in car accidents each day, but that won't stop me from using my car to get from point A to point B.

I guess the better thing to ask is to ask the following: How many of you had to go to your muster station and actually get in the lifeboats? I am going to think it is a very small percentage.

LMAO. Not reckless here at all. Also what is up with the comment about "so many people who die on cruises"? Want to show me the link where you gained this information? :rolleyes:

C'mon Gordon, we all know what death traps cruise ships are! :D Plus we have your You Tube video where you are dancing on the railing, so what kind of credibility to you expect to have in this forum anyway?:D

joking....;)

jc

SOLAS Chapter II-2, Regulation 41 requires that passenger ships constructed after January 1, 1994, have a low-location lighting system in all accommodation area interior passageways and stairways to assist passengers in identifying emergency escape routes when smoke impedes visibility.

Logically it should be switched on during pax drills so that you are aware of its existence, you should see it in the corridors leading to the Assembly Stations

I just read about a cruise ship fire in March of 2006 on Princess Cruises. The guy who died was in a corridor with his wife that had no emergency lights or fire extinguishers. This is really scary! RCCL has them right?

Well, I was on Grand Princess in Dec/05 and I noticed emergency lights and extinguishers....and I also wonder where you obtained your information...and in regards to so many people dying on cruise ships....that gave me quite a chuckle...obviously you don't have your facts in order....go troll somewhere else

Well, I was on Grand Princess in Dec/05 and I noticed emergency lights and extinguishers....and I also wonder where you obtained your information...and in regards to so many people dying on cruise ships....that gave me quite a chuckle...obviously you don't have your facts in order....go troll somewhere else

Wow... I didn't mean to get you so emotional. Here is the website for Richard Liffridge, who died on board during that fire: http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/LatestMemberStories/Richard_Liffridge.html

Many, many people have fallen off cruise ships, gotten horribly sick or have been sexually harassed. I have one booked for January, but I would still like to know the dangers of cruising. I like to learn from other's mistakes rather than stay ignorant to the dangers of traveling. When I went to Mexico I went online to read about the crime there also.

Being safe doesn't make me a troll.

Too many people take the muster drills and safety briefings as a joke.

The muster drills on RCI ARE a joke, and I haven't heard of any other safety briefings for the passengers. I go, but seriously, all they do is line us up, call in vain for the few people who are no-shows, play an announcement not to smoke in bed, leave stuff on your balcony or throw things overboard. Then they tell you about the guest code of conduct (don't spit, swear, drink too much :eek: or hit anybody) and show you how to put on your life jacket EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE TO WEAR IT TO THE DRILL. Then the Captain comes on (the good ones just say hello, we're leaving soon) and you're dismissed.

Except for our first cruise in 1995, I haven't heard anything about what to do in the case of an emergency other than if you hear the alarm, go back to your cabin, get your meds & warm clothing & come back to the station. Nothing about how the lifeboats work, how they will be loaded, how there are plenty for everybody (although the way people push & shove at the buffet, one can't reasonably expect that they won't stampede like buffalo in an emergency).

Ha, ha, ha.:rolleyes:

To the OP: I'm sure that not many people die on cruise ships, and most who do die of natural causes due to pre-existing medical conditions. As I recall, the poor man who died on the Star Princess (the subject was discussed quite a bit here at the time, BTW, you might do a search for the threads) had a heart condition, but I don't remember whether he died of smoke inhalation or a cardiac condition. CCer cjskids was on the cruise, in one of the cabins that burned, and posted a very compelling account of what happened.

Wow... I didn't mean to get you so emotional. Here is the website for Richard Liffridge, who died on board during that fire: http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/LatestMemberStories/Richard_Liffridge.html

True.... and I guess I was harsh in saying that...but 1 person in a fire out of how many millions that cruise each year...If we let each and everything bad that happens stop us, then we would leave a pretty boring life...albeit a "very" safe one....you could also likely find data about how many people perish while walking their dogs or are killed by hailstones in the desert, but people are still going to do those things...fear mongerers are not needed in the world IMHO

Many, many people have fallen off cruise ships, gotten horribly sick or have been sexually harassed. I have one booked for January, but I would still like to know the dangers of cruising. I like to learn from other's mistakes rather than stay ignorant to the dangers of traveling. When I went to Mexico I went online to read about the crime there also.

From what I remember they believe the fire was started on a balcony due to smoking. I dont know that sprinklers would help on the balcony? maybe??

Im not worried I guess, what happens will happen. Id be jumping overboard if I couldnt get to the hallway from a balcony.

From what I remember they believe the fire was started on a balcony due to smoking. I dont know that sprinklers would help on the balcony? maybe??

Hi firefly, it seems Princess does, according to

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=255

in the Editor´s Note Quote All balconies on Star Princess now have sprinklers (an addition that will be implemented fleetwide).

Archived