N.Y. Cruise Port

gcjstri

We are planning to drive there and park for our Mar. 1 GEM cruise-does anyone know how this works? So we park, then how do we get to where the ship sets sail from? Is there a place nearby that we could get breakfast at?(we are driving overnight)

Parking is right at the cruise ship terminal.

As for breakfast, you would have to go up to about 10th ave to find restaurants or buy coffee and baked goods inside the terminal itself.

Does anyone know where th port is where the NCL ships depart from in N.Y. I will be on the NCL Dawn in Oct. of 08 and would like to start researching hotels in the area.

thank u

minimom:) :) :)

Hi minimom

Small world, we're on the Dawn in Oct as well ;). If you find any exceptional values please let me know. We're thinking we might fly into Newark and spend the night there (I've found several inexpensive hotels), but that's subject to change as I'm not sure how to get from Newark to the pier. Anyone know of how this can be done (shuttles & such)?

Hi minimom

Small world, we're on the Dawn in Oct as well ;). If you find any exceptional values please let me know. We're thinking we might fly into Newark and spend the night there (I've found several inexpensive hotels), but that's subject to change as I'm not sure how to get from Newark to the pier. Anyone know of how this can be done (shuttles & such)?

A cab will run about $70.00 a car service will be about the same. Arecibo will be a little less but I don't know if they pick up in NJ they will get you back to the airport from the Pier however.

Recently stayed at the Skyline Hotel at 49th & 10th for the Dawn repo. Really convenient to everything and fairly reasonable rates for NY standards (still steep, though). We walked to Times Square very easily from there and the cruise terminal was a very short cab ride.

We are planning to drive there and park for our Mar. 1 GEM cruise-does anyone know how this works? So we park, then how do we get to where the ship sets sail from? Is there a place nearby that we could get breakfast at?(we are driving overnight)

Where are you planning to park?

If you're looking for a great diner breakfast, we love the Galaxy Diner at the corner of 9th Avenue and 46th Street. Great for waffles, french toast, sausage, etc. :) It's not far from the cruise terminal - just a few blocks walking or by cab.

The way the parking works at the Manhattan cruise terminal is relatively easy. You drive up the ramp that is at 54-55th street and 12th avenue to the second level( the first if you are from Europe)... there will be signs that tell you where you ship is. either piers 90 or 92 as pier 88 is being renovated(they are all at the same level on one continuous ramp), you drop off and check your checked luggage, you also normally drop off your significant other or insignificant other as the case may be with your carry on luggage. You and the car proceed to the end of the level and make a right onto a ramp which takes you to the next level up(its says PARKING) when you get to the top of the ramp you will see a line of people paying cash or Mastercard or Visa only..me I use my NCL card. You prepay 24 dollars a day maximum of $180 for 10-11 days and then it starts again. They will tell you which pier to park(normally the one you will come back on but they aren't always right)..They will also tell you you have to stop and have you car sniffed by a bomb sniffing dog as the cars are parked right next to the ship...they will tell you to turn the car off and no pictures and which way to walk back(you know walk this way)...parking has never been reported full and there isn't a much cheaper way to do it and stay in Manhattan.

Upon return I leave my SO with the luggage and go get the car bring it back around put in the luggage and by by vacation :( some people carry the luggage up stairs and my wife likes to come with me so I don't get lost...

A cab will run about $70.00 a car service will be about the same. Arecibo will be a little less but I don't know if they pick up in NJ they will get you back to the airport from the Pier however.

Thanks for the info Sid. It's appreciated. I had also emailed SuperShuttle and just got word back from them. They say $19 pp each way (which sounds like a deal). As we will probably not be pressed for time I'll have to seriously consider that option as well!

Hi mbisson,

see ya in October.

My DH and i have never been to N.Y city so we will bite the bullet and spend the money for a hotel room (2 nites). Hopefully i can find one that is not going to cost me a fourtune.

If anyone has any ideas of where to stay reasonably without breaking the bank please share the info

thank u

Hi mbisson,

see ya in October.

My DH and i have never been to N.Y city so we will bite the bullet and spend the money for a hotel room (2 nites). Hopefully i can find one that is not going to cost me a fourtune.

If anyone has any ideas of where to stay reasonably without breaking the bank please share the info

thank u

I have been on the Dawn twice out of NY and on 6 cruises out of NY in total.

There are some great hotel deals on the NJ side of the hudson if you are flying into Newark and most of them have a free shuttle into the city. They are generally a lot cheaper than NYC hotels. The Shearton in Weehaken NJ is beautiul. Right on the Hudson River with a view of NYC and Ferry Service on-site.

If you would be looking to stay in NYC there are some in expensive hotels on 42nd between 9th and 12th which are walking distance to the terminal and there is a diner and starbucks right across the street. If you do decide to stay in that area there are shuttle buses to the airport from 42nd and 8th (to LaGuardia, JFK, and Newark) for only $15 a person.

I'd never laugh at you minimom (us left coasters need to stick together)! Especially since I asked a couple months ago which airport I should try to schedule my flights into and out of and nearly every reply said Newark. (there were a couple replies though from people who were laughing at me for asking that far in advance ;) )

BTW mom-my only other experience in NYC was when I once landed at JFK & had to take a helicopter shuttle to LaGuardia for my flight out. Landed on several rooftops in downtown-that was way cool.

O.K. do not laugh at me.

I do not get out of California much. But is Newark N.J. close to N.Y City ?????

thank u

Newark and JFK are about the same distance from the Port in NYC.

The best thing to do would be to go online with a website like Farechase and see which airport would have the best deal for the days you need.

For example I just did a search on Yahoo Farechaser for 10/10 from Seattle Washington to New York and it showed the results for all NY area airports and in this case Newak NJ and JFK were both around the same price.

I live in Northern NJ and work in NYC and will be glad to help you with a specific hotel search or question if you want

andrea@bayviewconsulting.net

Newark and JFK are about the same distance from the Port in NYC.

The best thing to do would be to go online with a website like Farechase and see which airport would have the best deal for the days you need.

For example I just did a search on Yahoo Farechaser for 10/10 from Seattle Washington to New York and it showed the results for all NY area airports and in this case Newak NJ and JFK were both around the same price.

I live in Northern NJ and work in NYC and will be glad to help you with a specific hotel search or question if you want

andrea@bayviewconsulting.net

Newark is closer. The closest airport to the cruise terminal is LGA at about 11 miles. Newark is about 14 and JFK about 20. By cost by cab LGA is the cheapest at about $30 with JFK set at $45.00 plus tolls and tip and ERW about $55.00 plus tolls and tip.

exact miles are LGA 10.53 EWR 15.93 and JFK 18.12 according to mapquest.

As a New Yorker, I would like to add that you should get the best deal you can for the hotel room--the price difference in a taxi from anywhere in Manhattan would certainly be far less than a good deal on a room.

In other words, go for the price, not the location of the room if you are trying to save money. The difference in your taxi fare will definitely be less than $20 (at the very most) from whatever hotel in Manhattan to the pier.

There are a lot of smaller hotels on the Upper West Side that are listed through the big online travel vendors.

• 4 weeks later...

And since we're on the subject of the New York cruise terminal, can somebody tell me how far the bus terminal is from the cruise, and if it's within walking distance. If it is, then is it a safe place to walk? Also, anyone know where you can store luggage assuming you arrive early in the morning, and the ship doesn't depart until 4:00 pm?

Thanks

It is probably just about a mile, you will have to judge for yourselves if that is walking distance with luggage. It is very easy to get a cab from the bus station--known in New York as the Port Authority (because of the department which runs it--don't be confused that it is connected to an actual port or pier). There are permanent taxi stands outside the main entrances, just wait in line and you will get a cab. The fare should be less than $10 total.

New York is a very safe big city. That said, it is still a big city, the dangerous times are actually when it is quietest and less crowded. It is more dangerous at 5 AM than 1 AM for example.

And since we're on the subject of the New York cruise terminal, can somebody tell me how far the bus terminal is from the cruise, and if it's within walking distance. If it is, then is it a safe place to walk? Also, anyone know where you can store luggage assuming you arrive early in the morning, and the ship doesn't depart until 4:00 pm?

Thanks

New York Port Authority Bus terminal is at 41street and eighth Avenue. The cruise terminal is at 711 12th avenue(about 50th street). The motor entrance is at 54-55th street and 12th avenue. It is as someone said about a mile(the streets are 1/20 of a mile and the the avenues about a 10th of a mile). It is perfectly safe to walk except for crossing the streets which is a little bit of a challenge... there is a flyover 12th avenue at 45-46th street a much safer way to cross 12th avenue. Storing luggage is a challenge. There isn't any at the Bus terminal. You can drop off your checked luggage at the pier anytime after about 11 but the luggage you carry aboard has to stay with you. You can normally get the bellman at fancy hotels to take your luggage for a tip....

Ther Port Authority runs the bus terminals and the airports(EWR JFK and LGA) but it doesn't run the cruise terminal...go figuire.

Archived