Does anyone else freak out about the weather before they cruise?

kdinkus1

My DH and I try and cruise the first weekend of December to avoid the summer heat of the Caribbean, the hurricane season, and the snow that comes in mid-Dec thru March. However, this year we are unable to, due to our son's upcoming wedding on the 15th. Now we have 4 in of snow with winds due to pick up any moment. I am starting to freak out about the weather next weekend with airport delays, etc. Luckily we are flying out the day before our 'miracle' cruise but that doesn't help me relax! What do most people do when their flights are delayed or canceled due to snow or ice? How do the airlines handle these situations for 'cruisers'? We do have our air thru the cruise line and insurance too. What happens if you miss your cruise due to weather? Do you get a refund to help out with the next cruise?

I know I'm worrying too early but with this early snow, I can't help it. Someone please calm me down! HA HA...

Always. Even in the summer I'm worried sick about weather. I have a Christmas cruise, I'm flying in a day before hand and desperately praying for good weather on flying days. Although I booked air through the cruise line, I requested a deviation. Plus I have insurance.

I've heard others say that they'll fly you to the next port, but that still doesn't make up for the missed time and time you could have spent relaxing on the deck with a strong drink!

My DH and I try and cruise the first weekend of December to avoid the summer heat of the Caribbean, the hurricane season, and the snow that comes in mid-Dec thru March. However, this year we are unable to, due to our son's upcoming wedding on the 15th. Now we have 4 in of snow with winds due to pick up any moment. I am starting to freak out about the weather next weekend with airport delays, etc. Luckily we are flying out the day before our 'miracle' cruise but that doesn't help me relax! What do most people do when their flights are delayed or canceled due to snow or ice? How do the airlines handle these situations for 'cruisers'? We do have our air thru the cruise line and insurance too. What happens if you miss your cruise due to weather? Do you get a refund to help out with the next cruise?

I know I'm worrying too early but with this early snow, I can't help it. Someone please calm me down! HA HA...

Can't do anything about the weather, no since worrying about it ahead of time( too many other fun things to think about.:p ) Just make your plans like everything will be great, chances are it will. If the weather takes a turn for the worse just deal with it when the time comes.

Have a great cruise.

We cruise in January and February. We live in Minnesota. Bad winter weather is always an interruption possibility for us. I wouldn't say I worry about it. I know it can happen, I hope it doesn't. But I won't let myself get worried about. My view... what's there to worry about? You can't control the weather, so why let it get to you? I have insurance. If the storm is huge and the trip is a total bust, I'll get repaid and I'll book a different cruise. We fly out a day early, so if it's a one day delay, we'll still be good. If it's a situation where they have to fly me to the first port to meet the ship, I'll sit on a beach drinking a drink until the next day when the ship finally gets to me (first day always seems to be a sea day for us).

If it ever happens, I won't be happy about it, but we'll roll with it. It's vacation, I just can't let it stress me.

You have done all the responsible things to be as prepared as you can be.

You are flying in a day ahead. You have cruise insurance.

Should there be a problem and you can't make the ship on the day it sails, Carnival will fly you to your next port.

You have covered all the bases that you can....the rest out of your control...so relax!!!

Oh yes. Our first time this year going during "fog" season. Flying out of So. Ore., changed planes in San Fran. to San Diego. Both So. Ore. and San Fran. can have delayed or canceled flights this time of year. All went well, but next time, will go earlier in the year.:o

This reminds me of a story one of my brothers told me. His family lives in Seattle. His children were in the scouts. When planning a camping trip to California, a Southern Californian family were worried about rain. My brother responded simply that if he wanted to camp, rain had nothing to do with camping in the Pacific Northwest, as it rained most of the year.

Nope. I don't freak out about ANYTHING. Life is too short to waste a single day "freaking out". Whatever comes my way (and trust me, I've been hit with more than the average person), I just deal with it. If you are meant to go on this cruise, you will be on that ship. If something prevents you from going, just take it as a sign that you were not meant to be on that ship at that time. Book another one and relax. ;)

our cruise is Dec.30, were flying out the 29th, will be carefully monitoring the weather Colorado can be frisky. If we see a storm coming in we will leave the 28th and pay the $75. per ticket, our travel insurance will not cover it.

Can't do anything about the weather, no since worrying about it ahead of time( too many other fun things to think about.:p ) Just make your plans like everything will be great, chances are it will. If the weather takes a turn for the worse just deal with it when the time comes.

Have a great cruise.

I have to agree. Can't control the weather, so no point in stressing over it. Plan your vacation with plenty of time to arrive if it gets to you too much.

Have fun and relax!!!

We are flying out of Indiana on the 14th for our Triumph cruise. I say stop stressing. It will be what it will be. You have insurance in case of problems so that part will be taken care of. I took my girls to the Mexican Riviera in Oct. We flew to LA with wonderful weather but several delays. When we flew back the weather was great but the airlines sure weren't. We arrived home a day late. So just goes to show you you can have problems with good weather as well. So all the stressing out in the world won't help.

I am praying for great flights and wonderful weather and will pray for you as well.

I must be the only person who doesn't wish for a "White Crhristmas"! Yes, I begin watching the extended weather reports 10 days before we leave. Yes, I worry if I see any bad weather approaching. And yes, I know I can't do anything about the weather. We are flying into Miami on the 20th for a cruise leaving on the 22nd. On the other hand, I could care less if we get "weathered in" in Miami when leaving the ship. I could use a few more days in the Miami warmth!!

I must be the only person who doesn't wish for a "White Crhristmas"! Yes, I begin watching the extended weather reports 10 days before we leave. Yes, I worry if I see any bad weather approaching. And yes, I know I can't do anything about the weather. We are flying into Miami on the 20th for a cruise leaving on the 22nd. On the other hand, I could care less if we get "weathered in" in Miami when leaving the ship. I could use a few more days in the Miami warmth!!

In January 2005 we sailed out of New York on the Norwegian Dawn for 10 days. The day we arrived it was more than 50* out!! No kidding! It was the most amazing thing. Of course it was much colder when we returned. We came home to nasty snowy cold (typical Ohio). A few days after we got home - massive blizzard, which naturally went on east to New York. The day the ship was to sail out New York was at a standstill. I felt so bad for those people! Even if they DID get into New York - there was so much snow they couldn't get to the ship. Then, (and I don't remember why) the ship ended up not even leaving the port. Only 1/3 of the passengers made it on. We were seriously counting our blessings!!

A~

I can't believe how little people stress out about the weather~ I'm glad that most don't but I wouldn't even know how to begin when it comes to cruising! Oh well... as you all said, you can't do anything about it.

cincygal: I do plan on being there for the 'meet and greet' if possible. Are people wearing the beads? If so, how do I get some too?

I can't believe how little people stress out about the weather~ I'm glad that most don't but I wouldn't even know how to begin when it comes to cruising! Oh well... as you all said, you can't do anything about it.

cincygal: I do plan on being there for the 'meet and greet' if possible. Are people wearing the beads? If so, how do I get some too?

We're flying out of Chicago in a few weeks. This unusually 'early' winter weather (for the past few years we haven't had a lot of snow and ice until January) has me a bit worried about delays too. I just remember that we are flying in a day early so if all else fails, we will be there hopefully the day of! :D

We've only cruised in peak hurricane season, but I don't worry; my Mother-in-law does enough worrying for all of us. She tried to call us on our honeymoon cruise because there were two hurricanes on our route, but quit when she found out the cost of the shore-to-ship (pre-cell reception on board) phone call. Even if she had gotten us, what was I going to do, talk to the captain.

Archived