I did something about the fuel surcharge

kf4zra

Ranting about it here won't do a bit of good (other than to maybe make you feel better for having indulged in a rant).

And the people who are irate don't want anyone giving their reasons about WHY they understand the surcharge was a necessary evil. No one is going to change anyone's mind on this.

So "get out there" are write letters and emails and complain to the people who can actually DO something about it. Your fellow CC posters cannot remove the surcharge.

The people that have recognized the wrong doing (you call them irate) know and understand the surcharge was a necessary evil. No one is disputing that....maybe getting tired of hearing it, yes. Because that has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

People are taking action. I guess you missed some of the threads. (don't know how lol!) Also the Canadian government is taking action. There have been letters written etc.. Will anything come of it? Who knows.

This has nothing to do with changing peoples minds.

BTW this is a message board. This is the best place for these threads.

I have read analysts on the stocks commenting on how RCL hedges their fuel costs and Carnival does not. Since everything Iv read says that Carnival does not hedge fuel costs, I dont think they buy ahead very far. Another thing we dont have the details on, but it would be interesting to know.

Forbes said that RCCL hedged their fuel by 40%....Carnival, none.

Forbes said that RCCL hedged their fuel by 40%....Carnival, none.

I admit to knowing nothing about fuel hedging. So are you saying they bought 40% in advance? How far in advance, they said in their conference call they are hedged well into 2008. 40% for this whole time?

Yes, I understand Carnival doesnt hedge, thats why I wondered about the post saying they would buy one quarter ahead. Even if you dont hedge, you must buy it ahead some?

I doubt the cruiselines will ever give me specifics to my satisfaction, just cruious.

When fuel prices went up over 18 months ago did they somehow charge for the extra cost?

My suppliers at work have been charging a fuel charge on and off depending on the rising and lowering cost of fuel for the last 18+ months.

The fact that they are still making a profit does not change the fact that they did not charge for the rising fuel cost until now.

Now if their profit line suffered is all how you look at it...LOL...we might think not...but stock holders may look at it as they could have made more if they passed on the extra cost.;)

Carnival has indeed being "absorbing the cost" and that was their mistake.

18 months ago, when the indicators were clear that "99 cents a gallon was long gone" (not an exact price, of course) .... that is when Carnival should have implemented the fuel surcharge on all new bookings. But they did not.

And since most of their ships are booked so far in advance, they had to make it retroactive to be economically feasible.

They need to cover the fuel costs now and they are. I can live with that.

My only complaint is that the person responsible for this forecasting should be fired. There is an old saying "Poor planning on your part should not (or does not) constitute an emergency on mine." Carnival has poor planners, IMHO. But in their defense, they were probably betting this upsurge in fuel costs would pass before they had to do anything about it....and it did not.

They bet and we lost. That's life!

I admit to knowing nothing about fuel hedging. So are you saying they bought 40% in advance? How far in advance, they said in their conference call they are hedged well into 2008. 40% for this whole time?

Yes, I understand Carnival doesnt hedge, thats why I wondered about the post saying they would buy one quarter ahead. Even if you dont hedge, you must buy it ahead some?

I doubt the cruiselines will ever give me specifics to my satisfaction, just cruious.

I have been "out of the business" for many years (20) but "in my day" it would have meant that RCCL had "guaranteed the fuel price" for 40% of its fuel needs. Now "for how long" ... 6 months, one year, 5 years...I have no way of knowing. Depends on the contract. Of course, the longer the contract, the higher the price they would have paid. 20 years ago the contracts were shorter because (unless there was some economic disaster like an embargo) fuel was usually available for a reasonable price and this kind of hedging was small potatoes. (at least small compared to the amount we in the US are paying for fuel now) Something else you have to realize is that this has been standard operating procedures in Europe for years. Fuel has always been expensive over there.

Why, yes, I did - just last night. How coincidental you should ask.

Went to the back of the store and picked up a dozen eggs (which are on sale this week, and a bargain. Woo-Hoo!). I got to the register, and the cashier greeted me with a smile. She rang up my few items, I swiped my card, then she gave me my receipt and bid me a nice evening. I was just about to head to my car, when she reached over and opened up the egg carton, taking out one of the eggs. It was quite surprising and I wasn't sure what to say. I finally explained, "Um, excuse me, but I paid for a dozen eggs. Here's my receipt. Can I have my egg back, please?"

The stunning answer was that although the sign in the back read "one dozen", it now meant eleven. If I wanted that extra egg I'd need to pay for it again. I was just about to debate this with her when she grabbed one of my apples and took a bite out of it. :eek: "Hey, lady, stop doing that!!". Crap, who knew my current grocery has an post-purchase produce surcharge?? I ran out to my car before she decided to take a swig from my milk. That would have totally grossed me out.

Guess it's time for me to start using a different grocery -- perhaps one that tells me these things in advance. If anyone on the boards wants a "partially used" apple, I'll gladly give it to you. I don't think I want it any more.

p.s. Right before I bolted, the checkout clerk asked me if I was on the Red Team or the Blue Team. I have no clue what she meant. :p :p

The best post I have ever read on CC. Just Marvelous! If you aren't a professional writer, you should be.

The Canadian government took no action. (that is in fact an oxymoron :rolleyes:)

It was actually ACTA, in other words the Association of Canadian Travel Agents.

Not arguing, just splitting hairs ;) , but I believe ACTA notified Carnival about the existing Canadian Provincial laws that were being violated, and Carnival conceded the point. I'm hoping the Florida AG has similar success.

Not arguing, just splitting hairs ;) , but I believe ACTA notified Carnival about the existing Canadian Provincial laws that were being violated, and Carnival conceded the point. I'm hoping the Florida AG has similar success.

Maybe there is an AFTA. ;)

Not even worth splitting hairs for me:rolleyes: I believe most people get it:)

There's still hope......

I came across this letter on another Carnival thread (roll call), that a poster had stated was sent to her. She was from Canada. However my beleif is that all customers should be treated equally in this matter, irregardless of their country of residence. I've alerted my TA to this.

Carnival

The Fun Ships

November 30, 2007

Dear Carnival Guest,

We wish to provide an update on the fuel supplement that was announced earlier this month.

After further review, we have decided that the fuel supplement will not apply to bookings made prior to November 7, 2007 (the day the supplement went into effect) for cruises departing on, or after February 1, 2008. The $5 per guest, per day fuel supplement will apply to new bookings only.

We will automatically make the adjustment to your booking shown below to exclude the fuel supplement and this work will be completed within one week.

Thank you for allowing us to clarify this issue. Most importantly, we want to thank you for your business.

Best regards,

Vicki L. Freed, CTC

Senior Vice President — Sales and Guest Services

Not even worth splitting hairs for me:rolleyes: I believe most people get it:)

There's still hope......

I'm definitely not happy about the surcharge, specially when my Valor cruise for April is already paid in full (minus the $70 fuel surcharge). So I checked the "dreaded" fine print:

In their own brochures printed way before they announced this surcharge it says: "Carnival reserves the right to increase published rates and air fare supplements without prior notice. However, fully paid or deposited guests will be protected, EXCEPT FOR FUEL SURCHARGES, government taxes, other surcharges, and changes to deposit, payment and cancellation terms/conditions which are subject to change without notice."

Once again, I'm not happy about the surcharge, and I hope that there's a way to get it removed, but honestly, more than feeling wronged, I feel stupid for not reading the fine print. As I have commented before, if people read the rules and regulations (I'm including myself) before putting down that credit card, whether it's for cruises, flights, hotels, or anything else, we wouldn't feel as "wronged" by the industry.

But who whas time to read the fine print, right?

Not the closer in cruise date, but the one for January 2009. Anyway, they did add the surcharge, so there goes that hope. Maybe the other one got lost in the email system?

I kept hoping the TA would maybe pay it or something.

Oh well, now its more real to me. First billing of the surcharge after all this time.

I came across this letter on another Carnival thread (roll call), that a poster had stated was sent to her. She was from Canada. However my beleif is that all customers should be treated equally in this matter, irregardless of their country of residence. I've alerted my TA to this.

Carnival

The Fun Ships

November 30, 2007

Dear Carnival Guest,

We wish to provide an update on the fuel supplement that was announced earlier this month.

After further review, we have decided that the fuel supplement will not apply to bookings made prior to November 7, 2007 (the day the supplement went into effect) for cruises departing on, or after February 1, 2008. The $5 per guest, per day fuel supplement will apply to new bookings only.

We will automatically make the adjustment to your booking shown below to exclude the fuel supplement and this work will be completed within one week.

Thank you for allowing us to clarify this issue. Most importantly, we want to thank you for your business.

Best regards,

Vicki L. Freed, CTC

Senior Vice President — Sales and Guest Services

Pretty inflamatory to leave out this key sentance:

"Due to provincial restrictions for Canadian travel agencies - the fuel supplement does not apply to those bookings made prior to November 7th (the day the fuel supplement went into effect) for cruise departing on, or after February 1st 2008"

I'm definitely not happy about the surcharge, specially when my Valor cruise for April is already paid in full (minus the $70 fuel surcharge). So I checked the "dreaded" fine print:

In their own brochures printed way before they announced this surcharge it says: "Carnival reserves the right to increase published rates and air fare supplements without prior notice. However, fully paid or deposited guests will be protected, EXCEPT FOR FUEL SURCHARGES, government taxes, other surcharges, and changes to deposit, payment and cancellation terms/conditions which are subject to change without notice."

But who whas time to read the fine print, right?

That would be fine if I had received that brochure, but dont have any Carnival brochures.

I unfortunately paid it, very reluctantly though. My GF REALLY wanted to go, and I couldn't tell her no. I couldn't break her heart.

I tried to tell the people at Carnival my side of the story, and after getting passed up the supervisor chain of command, was met with 3 options; cancel, pay it, or call the CEO.

So, i paid it. I will be enjoying my last Carnival Corp cruise in Feb.

I had a week off before Christmas, and didnt want to sit at home. So I booked another cruise. (I live in FL, I have 5 major ports within a 5 hr drive)

I purposely chose something other than Carnival because of the way we were retroactively billed, not because of the charge itself. I was paid in full when they added the extra charges.

I know I will hear the "they can do that cause their contract says so" and the "fuel prices have gone up" and the "is $70 really gonna kill you?" arguement. Spare me your effort, you are not going to change my mind, you have already tried in several other posts. Carnival chose to do business this way because they wanted to, not because the contract gave them the ability to. Because of this choice, I chose to take my current and future business elsewhere.

I also chose to go to another company to satisfy my conscience. Maybe it will be worse than Carnival, not sure, I have always blindly booked Carnival. I guess I will find out in less than 2 weeks. I know it will not make a bit of difference to Carnival, at least I feel better about it.

I am simply posting this as a response to all those people that told me if I didn't like being back billed, that I should go to another line. Just letting you know that I decided to follow your advice.

I'm donning my nomex suit, as I fully expect to get flamed for my thoughts and actions.

Good for you I think more people should take a stand instead of rolling over and saying well everybody is doing it.....

I too canceled my Carnival Cruise. I would suggest if you haven't already to file a complaint with the Florida Attorney General I understand he has already opened an investigation against the cruise lines. Good luck....

That would be fine if I had received that brochure, but dont have any Carnival brochures.

You can order one online, pick one up at any travel agency, or call Carnival for a copy.

Saying "I didn't know" or "I didn't have a copy of the brochure" doesn't mean that the rules and regulations don't apply to you....sorry if I'm harsh.

Still not happy about the fuel surcharge...

Why, yes, I did - just last night. How coincidental you should ask.

Went to the back of the store and picked up a dozen eggs (which are on sale this week, and a bargain. Woo-Hoo!). I got to the register, and the cashier greeted me with a smile. She rang up my few items, I swiped my card, then she gave me my receipt and bid me a nice evening. I was just about to head to my car, when she reached over and opened up the egg carton, taking out one of the eggs. It was quite surprising and I wasn't sure what to say. I finally explained, "Um, excuse me, but I paid for a dozen eggs. Here's my receipt. Can I have my egg back, please?"

The stunning answer was that although the sign in the back read "one dozen", it now meant eleven. If I wanted that extra egg I'd need to pay for it again. I was just about to debate this with her when she grabbed one of my apples and took a bite out of it. :eek: "Hey, lady, stop doing that!!". Crap, who knew my current grocery has an post-purchase produce surcharge?? I ran out to my car before she decided to take a swig from my milk. That would have totally grossed me out.

Guess it's time for me to start using a different grocery -- perhaps one that tells me these things in advance. If anyone on the boards wants a "partially used" apple, I'll gladly give it to you. I don't think I want it any more.

p.s. Right before I bolted, the checkout clerk asked me if I was on the Red Team or the Blue Team. I have no clue what she meant. :p :p

Another funny by Don...you crack me up...:D

My wife and I are going on the CCL Freedon 01/19/08, then CCL Triumph 01/26/08, thank goodness there fuel surcharge doesn't effect our cruises because they kick in feb 1st. Otherwise we would be screwed too, I mean after scheduling our flights, hotel and transportation we're locked into this vacation. Norwegian Cruise Line announced there fuel surcharge in the beginning of november, and it is charged to new bookings placed december 1st or later. Anyone who has deposited or fully paid bookings before that date are secure from this extra fee. We are going on the NCL Sun 03/02/08, and I think of all the big cruise companies out there, NCL, if they had to impement a fuel fee, did it right! Shame on you CCL and RCL.

I just got off an NCL cruise and I enjoyed myself thoroughly so I'm not bashing NCL when I say this.

Yes, NCL seemed to take the high road with how they implemented the fuel surcharge. They look like heroes compared to the other lines. BUT CCL is charging $5 extra per day and NCL is charging $7.

SO...although they are grandfathering everyone who already had cruises booked, they are probably making up for it with the extra $2 pp/pd.

JMO

As for me, I'm just goin with the flow here. I'm still gonna cruise. It's still the best deal for a vacation and I'll be darned if I'm gonna be upset over this surcharge when cruising can cost me little more than $100 a day and flying costs me a mint (to sit in a tiny seat and miserable for hours after sitting in an airport miserable for hours and more than likely being delayed for hours or worse, having my confirmed and paid for seat be gone when I get to the airport).

So, if anyone wants to b**ch about airlines, I'll meet you on that thread and gripe right along with you. Until then, I'll just keep booking my cruises, happily.

Carnival's "we've been absorbing the added fuel cost for this long" statement is utter B.S., have you looked at their quarterly profit history and compared it to the price of fuel? The only one's who've absorbed the cost so far have been the passengers.

I'm just curious as to why people get upset when they see a business making a profit :confused:

I don't get it. Every time I cruise I wonder HOW they manage to provide what they do, at such a reasonable cost to me. I don't feel I've 'absorbed' anything. When I think about the money I shell out for everything in my daily life, I can honestly say that when I cruise, it is the ONLY time I ever feel like I get my money's worth PLUS.

You all do have the choice to stop cruisin'....just saying.

I just got off an NCL cruise and I enjoyed myself thoroughly so I'm not bashing NCL when I say this.

Yes, NCL seemed to take the high road with how they implemented the fuel surcharge. They look like heroes compared to the other lines. BUT CCL is charging $5 extra per day and NCL is charging $7.

SO...although they are grandfathering everyone who already had cruises booked, they are probably making up for it with the extra $2 pp/pd.

There is no cap either. Plus they are charging $3 pp for 3rd/4th passengers.

They are more then making up for it.

This fuel surcharge is nothing new...Our laundry service (uniforms, floor mats, mops etc) has been charging a fuel surcharge as well as an EPA environmental surcharge for cleaning chemicals and a disposial fee for used up mats and mops. And this is every week and at every stop the driver makes..Look at your natural gas bill if you have one as well as the electric bill and see if there isn't a fuel adjustment on there.

One of the weakest arguments for an individual to use on any business. Ranks up there with I'll tell my friends, family and my whole company and they'll lose bizzillions.

I use this line all the time to get what I want from companies.

Doesn't always work, but frequently does.

You'd be amazed- companies don't like to piss off good customers- if they do something you don't like, and you tell them you'll go elsewhere, they will often bend over backward to please you (works best if you are a regular customer, of course).

Pretty inflamatory to leave out this key sentance:

"Due to provincial restrictions for Canadian travel agencies - the fuel supplement does not apply to those bookings made prior to November 7th (the day the fuel supplement went into effect) for cruise departing on, or after February 1st 2008"

Important posts by both you and duck -- but aren't all Canadians having this waived (assuming bookings before 11/07) whether or not they booked with a Canadian TA?

This fuel surcharge is nothing new...Our laundry service (uniforms, floor mats, mops etc) has been charging a fuel surcharge as well as an EPA environmental surcharge for cleaning chemicals and a disposial fee for used up mats and mops. And this is every week and at every stop the driver makes..Look at your natural gas bill if you have one as well as the electric bill and see if there isn't a fuel adjustment on there.

SO WHAT?????

Archived