Waiting for RCI to make good

I was on the 10/24/07 12 day Brilliance sailing to the Med. (wonderful trip).

Anyway, I bought a ring in the gift shop. Not a very expensive ring, it was $95, but very unusual with crystals deep set on either side of a little round circle that had a piece of leather in it. Very pretty.

I saw it the first day and decided by the end of the cruise, since I had bought nothing else for myself at all the whole trip (just too expensive) I was just going to get it.

I put it on a few days after getting home, we were going to dinner. In the restaurant I looked at the ring and the little piece of leather was gone.

I emailed both RCI and the maker of the ring. I googled them and found them in Monte Carlo or maybe it was Monaco, anyway in France.

Received a canned response from RCI with promise to follow up. 2 weeks went by, still heard nothing. Send 2nd emails. Did hear from the jewelry company saying to send the ring back and they will correct and also send a small gift as apology. (I'd rather just have my postage and insurance costs back)........but still nothing from RCI.

I am now involving my TA who will call. I'm not a Diamond or Platinum member, this was just my second RCI trip and I do have one booked for Feb.

I just want to share this story and will keep you informed on whether RCI makes any offer.

I think the opportunity of sharing good and bad on these boards provides a great forum that gets back to them.

Thanks

I purchased a ring in a Port shop recommended by RCI. The next port I found the same ring in another RCI recommended shop for less money. The prices should have been the same since it is a "fair trade" item. I talked to the ship's Shopping expert who gave me the information to get a refund for the difference. It took a little time, but this is a case where RCI stood by and made good. I would definitely follow up.

Thank you all for the support. I will continue to follow up, hopefully my TA will get some information today.

In the meantime I will send the ring back to the mfg. Maybe RCI will give me some OBC in compensation for the postage and insurance costs. :) I'm sailing the Jewel in Feb.

It's a bit costly to mail a package to France.

We'll see and I'll let you know.

I am a little confused............the maker of the ring has offered to replace or repair and will send a little gift for your trouble. If that is true what do you want RCCI to do for you? Just curious what your expectations are?

I had sent the email to RCI first. I received their automated response and when I didn't hear, I just figured I'd try the mfg. I was not provided any paperwork with the item, so did not (and still do not) know what type of guarantee there was/is.

If they had responded with "our liability ends at time of purchase" and advised I would have to contact the mfg, that at least would have been their position.

But not hearing anything sort of pisses me off.

Archived