Sick, sick, sick!

SantaAna,CA

Does anyone else get sick on their return from a cruise? This isn't the first time it's happened. I have a terrible cold, in spite of using Zicam like mad. After being gone almost three weeks, I am missing two days of work this week...I know my bosses are just thrilled about that. Aaaugh!

I also noticed my the left side of my chest hurts when I cough or sneeze. Since my head still has a lump on it from the banana boat spill, I've got a sneaking suspicion all the muscles and tendons on the left side of my body got hammered as well. Am I getting old or what? I'm having to recover from two weeks in paradise!

Jane :confused:

Jane,

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Sorry to hear of your "spill" and the resultant post symptoms.

You might want to contact your MD to ward off any "sneaky" problems.

I've never experienced any post cruise illnesses, but am usually not my best after a long flight. Be well and take care. Jack

I think we all abuse our bodies so much on a cruise (food, drink, late nights etc) that getting sick is par for the course! (I also have TERRIBLE vertigo for 3 days after landing) I hope you get better real soon!

Host Dan

I think we all abuse our bodies so much on a cruise (food, drink, late nights etc) that getting sick is par for the course! (I also have TERRIBLE vertigo for 3 days after landing) I hope you get better real soon!

Host Dan

Dan,

Does this exclude me from the "Party Animal" list?;) Jack

Jane you are not alone!!!

We arrived home 2 weeks ago from the Legend and promptly started with a "cold" of wich we are stil suffering and I do mean suffering!! Unable to sleep and too many aches and pains to get any work done!! Maybe it is an age thing as we never used to suffer like this. Hope you get better soon!!

Kathryn

Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone! I do not drink all that much (and I usually eat sparingly during the day, enjoying dinner in the restaurant!) on Seabourn...but you know what I did do? Twenty-four dives. In 17 days. No wonder I feel like someone has beaten me with a stick. That's a lot of physical effort, and I'm hardly a spring chicken anymore! (Nor a summer chicken...) I am feeling better today, but I've a feeling the pain in my ribs is a bruise, and it's going to take a while to heal.

No more banana boats!!

Jane :rolleyes:

Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone! I do not drink all that much (and I usually eat sparingly during the day, enjoying dinner in the restaurant!) on Seabourn...but you know what I did do? Twenty-four dives. In 17 days. No wonder I feel like someone has beaten me with a stick. That's a lot of physical effort, and I'm hardly a spring chicken anymore! (Nor a summer chicken...) I am feeling better today, but I've a feeling the pain in my ribs is a bruise, and it's going to take a while to heal.

No more banana boats!!

Jane :rolleyes:

Jane...take it from experience..life does change with age. Also consider...you live in an environment aboard ship of air vents that circulate..thus..so does germs..etc. Also, as an observer of the Bananna boat...I being insurance aware...and lawsuit aware...and injury aware..was amazed at watching the bannana boat. It is a disaster waiting to happen. With the bodies close together..and capsize the seeming ultimate end...you ARE going to body slam upon entrance. It may seem like a challenge, but given the fact that there are relatively few really young people aboard...except the crew and staff...I have always questioned the desirabilty of keeping that as an option..and...yes..MY DAUGHTER considers me an old fashioned fuddy duddy...so be it! Lola

Jane...take it from experience..life does change with age. Also consider...you live in an environment aboard ship of air vents that circulate..thus..so does germs..etc. Also, as an observer of the Bananna boat...I being insurance aware...and lawsuit aware...and injury aware..was amazed at watching the bannana boat. It is a disaster waiting to happen. With the bodies close together..and capsize the seeming ultimate end...you ARE going to body slam upon entrance. It may seem like a challenge, but given the fact that there are relatively few really young people aboard...except the crew and staff...I have always questioned the desirabilty of keeping that as an option..and...yes..MY DAUGHTER considers me an old fashioned fuddy duddy...so be it! Lola

Lola.........................yes, thank you, and I too will remain an unbruised old fashioned fuddy duddy.:D Jack

My wife often comes down with a cold (sometimes very bad) but it also happens on 'on land' holidays. This makes me think that the air conditioning systems on the planes are a major cause of this. If and when it happens to her it is on inward and outward bound flights. Only once was she infected by another cruise passenger who had a cold whilest on board.

Jane,

I hope you are feeling better.

I often get a cold about 10-15 days into the cruise. Cruise ships seem to be incubators. (although planes are not much better).

When we tried Crystal earlier in the year, I hoped the better space ratio would help, but it didn't.

Now I'm hoping that with only 200 passengers, there won't be such a big germ pool, but your experience suggests otherwise.

On another note, we usually find the buffet food on ships to be a bit dodgy. In fact we joke during our cruises if we are putting on too much weight "Let's eat in the buffet so we can 'purge' some of this weight".

(This is more a comment on passenger behaviour than it is on ship food preparation).

The only time in recent memory that I didn't get sick at all was on our last Holland America trip aboard Statendam. When we boarded the ship there was a 'code red' virus alert, with not touching of anything and much enforced hand cleansing. This went on for most of the trip.

Steve.

Yes I am getting better, and luckily what I thought were some bruised ribs, or whatever, seem to be getting better as well (although it still hurts when I sneeze!). At least I'm getting the cold out of the way before Christmas.

I concur about the jarring transition between Seabourn and reality. It always happens, and this year for some reason it was particularly painful to leave the Pride and her dear crew. I find myself thinking about the adventure over and over again!

Christmas blessings to you, Lovis, and all CCers.

Jane

I also got a terrible "cold" thingy while on the Spirit, and it lasted for 6 weeks!!! Of course most people who caught it saw the doctor and got anti biotics etc and cleared it up quick....obviously wasnt a "normal" sort of cold. me having "doctor phobias" resisted all that....and just suffered!! Of course now I am OVER all those phobias so will be much better this time. Also hubby and I both have terrible colds at the moment, so we should be immune when we leave here in TWO WEEKS TIME!!! :D

I think the reality is that when you travel because you are with lots of other people in confined areas from airplanes, to sometimes shuttles, to ships, etc. that there is likely a higher chance that you will pick up a cold/virus. Sometimes the time of the year plays a role in all of this. The majority of times we have sailed this has not been an issue for us but you have a greater chance of getting sick when you are with others than say if you are home.

There is no safeguard against this. But, the biggest thing one can do is to wash their hands thoroughly several times a day, get sufficient rest, eat well (not a problem on a cruise) and just be observant of others around you.

Keith

The only time I suffered, our room stewardess was very ill, and continued to work. I caught it, and was down for the count. I felt that the close proximity of the room and the fact that she handled the linens and towels, plus our glasses made it a no brainer that the germs were there. It is really impossible to be careful enough under those circumstances. AND, yes, I felt sorry for her. I could not have worked as ill as I was. Youth is a wonderful thing. Lola

Archived