PREGNANT AND BIKINI's

Higginsrdcple

We have been on many cruises and being a mom myself in decent (not perfect) shape i have to ask all the fellow mom's-to-be ? What are you thinking in the mini/micro bikini's?

To me, it falls under the category "Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD."

I really think it should be left up to the individual to make their own choice. Since the OP states she will only be 5 months along and it is her first pregnancy, she more than likely will not have a huge belly by that time, nor will she have stretch marks.

I've been on enough cruises to know there is the rare perfect body and then there are the rest of us. You will see a few shocking examples of fashion, but you see that pretty much anywhere in any town, USA.

I think I'd rather see a pregnant woman in good shape with a little baby belly in a bikini rather than a man with a big fat beer belly hanging out. I sometimes wonder how many beer belly men critique a woman with extra around the middle :rolleyes:

We have been on many cruises and being a mom myself in decent (not perfect) shape i have to ask all the fellow mom's-to-be ? What are you thinking in the mini/micro bikini's?

I am not offended @ all BUT there is a time and a place for wearing the correctly fitted swim suit?

What are everyones thoughts?:)

I say all the power to them!:D

Blech! I do not enjoy seeing VERY pregnant women in bikinis. I'd rather see them in a tankini or one-piece.

Having said that, it's their right to wear whatever they want, and I don't need to look at them. To each her own, and I just won't look. :eek:

I think I'd rather see a pregnant woman in good shape with a little baby belly in a bikini rather than a man with a big fat beer belly hanging out. I sometimes wonder how many beer belly men critique a woman with extra around the middle :rolleyes:

You have to wonder?

But I agree, a pregnant woman is far more attractive than a pregnant guy, and you see a lot more of those walking around in small swimsuits than you do the women.

I think that if a pregnant woman wants to wear a bikini, more power to her. I'm not a size small and I wear them even though I know I don't look like a model. I really don't care what others think as long as I want to wear it. Anyway my hubby thinks I look great, and if I'm ever pregnant, I'll wear one then too.

There's something beautiful about a pregnant belly, I don't think its ugly at all.

There's something beautiful about a pregnant belly, I don't think its ugly at all.

I have not seen any posts that said pregnant tummies were "ugly". I simply do not consider a pregnant tummy as something that should be displayed to others. I think I have pretty nice boobs....but I certainly don't let them out in public. :rolleyes: I consider some parts of my body private. Unfortunately some people have no such consideration these days.

I really think it should be left up to the individual to make their own choice. Since the OP states she will only be 5 months along and it is her first pregnancy, she more than likely will not have a huge belly by that time, nor will she have stretch marks.

I've been on enough cruises to know there is the rare perfect body and then there are the rest of us. You will see a few shocking examples of fashion, but you see that pretty much anywhere in any town, USA.

So true! or a perfect body with surgery scars. At least this is how I felt about my body. I know that is why I stopped wearing bikinis-was after my c-section. I worked hard to get my figure back but I could not get rid of the scar. I remember going to a water park when my daughter almost a year old-my first one piece suit since I was a kid. But what did I see at the park that day? quite a few not hiding their scars-I still had no desire to show mine.

Ofcourse now I see the semi bikini bottoms and no scar will show with them on me as my scar is lower- but they were not "in" 20 years ago-but alas now I am afraid I would look pretty much like the overweight middle aged fellow in the speedo - so only skirted tankinis for me!

I actually think those pg gals who are just belly and otherwise tiny-look cute showing their belly-but as I said-at the beach or pool-not in the office. I don't think anyone, male or female, should bare their midriff in an office setting.

Agree totally with HappySingleMom. Didn't this behavior suddenly become popular after Demi Moore bared her pregnant tummy in Vanity Fair or Vogue?

I noticed it more when "Rachel" was "pregnant" on "Friends"-since Jennifer wasn't in real life I thought they did a good job of making that belly look real-outie belly button and all.

OK, I didn't read all posts but I don't understand why this question is asked since the doctor of my sister-in-law told her that her belly needed to be covered from the sun at all time. Would you be wearing it only for swimming and covering up right after?

I had posed the same question as well. One time on a cruise we saw a woman with a newborn infant in the hot tub..our friend who was a nurse politely pointed out to her she was essentially boiling the baby.

I would guess the same thing would be true for soaking in a hot tub bikini or not, with a baby, and sunbathing with a bikini in the sun.

It doesn't sound like it's a good thing to do whether you wear a bikini or not. At least cover up and better to error on the side of caution.

OK, I didn't read all posts but I don't understand why this question is asked since the doctor of my sister-in-law told her that her belly needed to be covered from the sun at all time. Would you be wearing it only for swimming and covering up right after?

I had posed the same question as well. One time on a cruise we saw a woman with a newborn infant in the hot tub..our friend who was a nurse politely pointed out to her she was essentially boiling the baby.

I would guess the same thing would be true for soaking in a hot tub bikini or not, with a baby, and sunbathing with a bikini in the sun.

It doesn't sound like it's a good thing to do whether you wear a bikini or not. At least cover up and better to error on the side of caution.

I always liked taking HOT soaking baths and did this through my pregnancy and learned later it could have caused me to miscarry. If I had known, I would not have done that and I read EVERY piece of literture my doctors gave me. I stopped drinking coffee andany other caffeine as soon as I realized I might be pregnant, before I even saw the doctor, as I knew about that.

No, I would not want the OP to do ANYTHING to endanger her child, but maybe she is not planning to sunbathe but just hop in the pool in the evening and take a swim-maybe she will wear a coverup when not in the pool, and hopefully her doctor has WARNED her of the dangers of the hot tub.

I just think you are assuming alot about the OP, but just in case her doctor has not informed her, I guess it IS good she realizes about the hot tub.

As far as the woman with a young baby in the hot tub, it is posted all over that no one under 18 should be in the tub-I would have told a ship's officer and not approached the woman. Let them tell her.

Think of it this way: regardless of whether I assumed or not, it's a good public service announcment.

I always liked taking HOT soaking baths and did this through my pregnancy and learned later it could have caused me to miscarry. If I had known, I would not have done that and I read EVERY piece of literture my doctors gave me. I stopped drinking coffee andany other caffeine as soon as I realized I might be pregnant, before I even saw the doctor, as I knew about that.

No, I would not want the OP to do ANYTHING to endanger her child, but maybe she is not planning to sunbathe but just hop in the pool in the evening and take a swim-maybe she will wear a coverup when not in the pool, and hopefully her doctor has WARNED her of the dangers of the hot tub.

I just think you are assuming alot about the OP, but just in case her doctor has not informed her, I guess it IS good she realizes about the hot tub.

As far as the woman with a young baby in the hot tub, it is posted all over that no one under 18 should be in the tub-I would have told a ship's officer and not approached the woman. Let them tell her.

You should wear a moo-moo down to your knees, and hang your head in shame. lol Just kidding. I just think it's funny that some act as if you should hide it or make it "private". Just as with anyone else, cover up the "important parts", and rock that bikini. Do what makes you happy! :)

Well, I was not actually the OP but I think most posters sort of thought I was. It was very interesting to hear all of the different opinions on bikinis versus a covered-up belly. Like I said, I will only be between 5 and 6 months along, so I won't be huge... but then again, I will wait and see what the rest of my body looks like by then (basketball vs. refrigerator, lol) to pick which way to go.

I've never heard of it being unhealthy to have an exposed belly in the sun. Of course I know that hot tubs are a no-no (I'm not big on public pools anyway - can't stop thinking about all the germs) but that was new to me. I will definitely ask my doctor about it before the trip. I am not a huge sunbather anyway - I don't like to burn so I don't stay out for long periods of time.

Hi,

I'm the first person who pointed out that the Dr. of my sister-in-law told her to cover her belly from the sun at all times.

I have nothing against pregnant women belly at all but I said so just to inform the pregnant women that it is probably a good thing to ask their doctor first since a doctor I ''know'' said to keep it covered. I'm not sure it's the absolute truth but I think pregnant women should know first-hand from their doctor before they take this decision.

Should I have kept quiet, say to enjoy their bikini sunbathing time and then, after being back from the cruise, their doctor tell them they shouldn't have? I think I did the right thing even if this is a fashion board, not a public announcement board.

JMHO

JP

Well, I was not actually the OP but I think most posters sort of thought I was. It was very interesting to hear all of the different opinions on bikinis versus a covered-up belly. Like I said, I will only be between 5 and 6 months along, so I won't be huge... but then again, I will wait and see what the rest of my body looks like by then (basketball vs. refrigerator, lol) to pick which way to go.

I've never heard of it being unhealthy to have an exposed belly in the sun. Of course I know that hot tubs are a no-no (I'm not big on public pools anyway - can't stop thinking about all the germs) but that was new to me. I will definitely ask my doctor about it before the trip. I am not a huge sunbather anyway - I don't like to burn so I don't stay out for long periods of time.

Isabelle on Celebrity millenien class ships they have this great spa pool that is in a covered area-so no sun-and the pool has whirpool like thingsin it likea hottub but is not HOT like a hottub but pleasantly warm. I would think any PG lady would love that pool and it should be safe also-but I guess you should ask your obgyn.

Hi,

I'm the first person who pointed out that the Dr. of my sister-in-law told her to cover her belly from the sun at all times.

I have nothing against pregnant women belly at all but I said so just to inform the pregnant women that it is probably a good thing to ask their doctor first since a doctor I ''know'' said to keep it covered. I'm not sure it's the absolute truth but I think pregnant women should know first-hand from their doctor before they take this decision.

Should I have kept quiet, say to enjoy their bikini sunbathing time and then, after being back from the cruise, their doctor tell them they shouldn't have? I think I did the right thing even if this is a fashion board, not a public announcement board.

JMHO

JP

Peterpaul said the OP would want to sunbathe and go in the hottub- so the OP should cover her belly. Frankly even with a covered belly, I believe a hottub is dangerous.

Go back and read peterpaul's post-your wording and his/hers is entirely different. Plus, it was Peterpaul who said that he/she was giving a public service announcement- not me. All I said was Peterpaul was assuming alot about the OP.

Many people will take a dip in the pool and do not sunbathe- even people who are actually not PG-both MEN and women- realize the dangers of sunbathing-so most people would realize that a PG woman shouldn't sunbathe especially.

No one takes offense at suggestions made nicely.

Frankly, I wish someone had told me I should not have been taking the super hot baths. I would have never knowingly endangered my child if I had been told-and I read every thing my obgyn gave me- and early on-even before my first doctor visit-stopped the caffeine. I guess I am fortunate I did not misscarry.

I am not offended @ all BUT there is a time and a place for wearing the correctly fitted swim suit?

What are everyones thoughts?:)

I was 4 months pregant on one of our cruises way back when and I wore a 2-piece bathing suit but it wasn't a micro-bikini - it was a high-wasted type which I feel much more comfortable in. I don't think it's proper to see one's belly sticking out either but they should wear something flattering - they make a lot of nice 1-pieces too! That's my 2 cents worth!

Laurie

Hi,

JP

WHAT? Think logically. Why in the world would it make ANY difference if a pregnant woman kept her stomach covered with fabric or not? Do you think the baby could get a sunburn? This is one of those foolish things that gets passed around that has no basis in fact.

Hot tubs are a no-no because your body can overheat, and this increase in body temperature may harm the developing fetus. Sunbathe all you want; it's only your skin you will be harming, not the baby!

As for wearing a two piece if you like it - go for it! Why do you care what any one else thinks?

Archived