Port or Starboard for Panama Canal cruise L.A. to Miami

ketelhut

I know everything on a cruise is subjective, what some people like, others don't. With that in mind, I would appreciate your thoughts on which might be the better location, port or starboard. We will be in a balcony cabin, L.A. to Miami Panama Canal cruise on the Celebrity Mercury in Jan. 09.

I don't really think it matters, the best place is AFT or cabins in the front .

We have done it both ways and just go on deck & switch sides during the transit.

It is an all day process I could not sit still for several hours ;)

I agree...it doesn't really matter.

We only went through the Gatun Locks on our trip to Panama....you go into Gatun Lake then turn around and go back out through the same Locks...but we found a combination of our own balcony and spending time on the promenade deck gave us excellent perspectives of the Canal.

It is truly and incredible trip!

I would suggest that you take some time to read about the constuction of the canal and attend any lectures they have on board before you go through the canal. Understanding what those men went through to build the canal...then seeing the product of their work...is rally an experience!

Have a great cruise!

It is really hard to pin point what side is better as the ship really does not know which lane the ship will go through(there are two) until they actually get there. But like the above posters said you will have lots of time to go to the bow, aft and promenades deck to view everything. The ship is going extremely slow through the gates so there will be tons of time to view everything.

Marilyn

I'd recommend port, simply because you'll be on the side facing the land most days. While you'll be many miles away, it does make it more interesting (I think) to be able to pick up binoculars and see mountaintops on the horizon; if you're to starboard, all you're going to see is water.

As for the Canal crossing itself ... everyone is right, it really doesn't make any difference. (You're not likely to spend much time in your cabin during the crossing anyway.)

Gary

It is really hard to pin point what side is better as the ship really does not know which lane the ship will go through(there are two) until they actually get there. But like the above posters said you will have lots of time to go to the bow, aft and promenades deck to view everything. The ship is going extremely slow through the gates so there will be tons of time to view everything.

Marilyn

She is right. But we made our decision on the Pacific Ocean sunsets! So we were on the Starboard (I think -- right as you face the stem of the ship) side. Sat on the balcony in the evening and saw great sunsets. When we went through the locks we were lucky. Most of the action was on "our" side so we ordered breakfast and enjoyed lox and bagels as we passed through the locks!! memorable!!:)

Gary, that's what I was thinking, about being able to see land in the distance off the port side.

Hambagahle, the sunsets are something I never thought of.

So it came down to what cabin and what deck we wanted. There were no cabins available on the port side on the deck we wanted. We have a starboard side cabin and are looking forward to beautiful sunsets. After all, a cruise is supposed to get you away from land for a time.

She is right. But we made our decision on the Pacific Ocean sunsets! So we were on the Starboard (I think -- right as you face the stem of the ship) side.

When facing the bow (front)

Port is left (both 4 letters)

Starboard is right

:)

Archived