Lobster on the Grandeur Twice 11/25 cruise

We are on currently on the 11/25 sailing of the Grandeur (Balt to Tampa) and can report lobster is not only being served but it was delicious. The entrée choice was Surf & Turf and it was ususal nice sized lobster tail paired with a delicious filet mignon. (Not the fisherman’s platter being reported by some other guests.)

I can tell you, however, that the table next to us asked for a second serving of lobster and they were politely told the lobster was “only available 1 per customer.” They were not very pleased with the answer but the head waiter handled it very nicely. By the way, this is a table of 4 who has ordered shrimp cocktail every night as an appitizer – 2 servings each (although it is not on the menu) and 2 of everything! Including dessert! (Makes me want to ask them if they paid double for the cruise! Why do some people always have to “get all they can” and ruin it for everyone else?)

So I later asked the head waiter about the OP here and lobster not being served any longer. He said you might not find it on the shorter cruises – 4 or 5 nights but he thought it would still be served on any cruise over 7 days but only if the “new policy” of “one serving per guest” can be followed.

During one of the C & A Welcome Back parties we had the pleasure of meeting the Purchasing Agent for this ship. He further explained RCL is saving 20 million/year by removing lobster from all but the 7 day or longer cruises. As a stock holder I'm all for it!

So all those of you who reported ordering 4 and 5 lobster tail in the past – and receiving them from smiling waiters who obviously were concerned about your tips – please beware: if you want it gone permenantly so you can really have something to complain about just keeping making pigs of yourselves.

Was your head waiter by chance named Geno? And the waitress Katrina? And the assistant Shetty? We hope you had that team in the dining room on Grandeur. We were on last year's repo to NOLA. Had a great time! If you had a different team, we hope they were just as good as Geno and his staff.

Rick and Deirdra

Sounds like you may have some real information on the subject of lobster. Unfortunately this thread may drift off into the back pages of this forum since it may not be sensational enough for some people. 20 million a year is a huge savings that I'm sure will be better spent going towards things like the new builds for RCCL and Celebrity.:)

I had my first ever lobster on Jewel last August. Our waiter seemed to know I enjoyed it and bought second portion without being asked. Others also requested seconds which were also provided without question. If it is so expensive why are seconds so readily available? Either it is less costly that made out to be or not a lot of passengers actually like it.

If I ran RC and wanted to increase income/profit I would reduce prices in Bar/wine sales. It's all purchased wholesale and duty free so why not reflect this on onboard prices? Why not allow sales of drinks to staterooms but at higher prices. Have people who spend thousands of pounds on their cruises let themselves down so badly in the past that these opportunities have been ended?

I believe one serving per passenger would be fine if:

The lobster tail was bigger than what was previously served (smaller than the shrimp) and that in their brochures they quit advertising "you can have as much as you desire" - something as simple as printing on the menu that the lobster selection would be limited to one serving. Many of the specialty restaurants charge extra for the lobster if ordered.

I am waiting to see what happens on Radiance in January but I am one who is all for having only one serving of the lobster. I say that, but for those of us who are allergic to shrimp, if it's still served as shrimp and lobster, could have 2 served at one time.

I have seen so many times that people have said my husband/son/father/mother/sister/self have had 5 or 6 lobster tails served and the waiter pleasantly did so. As mentioned, the waiters kept smiling so they got their tip.

I very seriously doubt that they would go to a restaurant and do the same if they were paying per lobster tail. I know the standard, we paid for food, so we are entitled----

I have a feeling that lobster tails will be discontinued at some point. I think RCI planned to do it Jan 1, but so many complaints were issued that they decided perhaps that 1 per person along with steak would be fine. I am guessing this based on what the OP said.

Perhaps those eating 2, 3, 4 etc. would be willing to pay say $5 per additional lobster tail. Let's see how many they would order then. Somehow, I think one would be fine for them in that case.

ok, I know I will be flamed, so go ahead.

Perhaps those eating 2, 3, 4 etc. would be willing to pay say $5 per additional lobster tail. Let's see how many they would order then. Somehow, I think one would be fine for them in that case.

ok, I know I will be flamed, so go ahead.

A lobster surcharge, LOL :D

I agree with you, if they were charged for more than one, I doubt extras would be ordered.

###

Archived