Queen Victoria

Cruiser765

Just been browsing through the QV blogs and videos on here and sorry to say that she does not do a lot for me at all, (Horn Included!!)

I hope that all that are due to sail on her will really enjoy and prove me wrong. Looking forward to some reviews :)

Maybe it's because a lot of us still look at QE2 with such great affection and at the moment great sadness that she is leaving us next year.

Quite simply IMHO there is no comparison.

Jackie:)

I agree with you YorksLady. I think QE2 is in a class by Herself. That being said I am still anxiously looking foward to sailing on board QV.

I will say ,however that I am not so crazy about Vicky's horn. Hopefully I shall find everything else wonderful:) .

Anticipation......

Denise

Now that the Queen Victoria is docked, she looks better than the QM2 but does not have the graceful lines of the QE2. However, now that people locally have seen her towering over the city, there is much more interest in waving her off on Tuesday. By docking her in the City Terminal, rather than at the Queen Elizabeth 11 terminal, she can be seen from the main shopping centre in Southampton and close up from Mayflower Park. Can't wait to get on on Tuesday. As a QE2 fan, I must say I liked the look of her. It will be interesting to see the two of them together in Rotterdam. I may be overcome with nostalgia and want to change ships!

Must admit, I am not too keen on the horn.

Maureen

Now that the Queen Victoria is docked, she looks better than the QM2 but does not have the graceful lines of the QE2. However, now that people locally have seen her towering over the city, there is much more interest in waving her off on Tuesday. By docking her in the City Terminal, rather than at the Queen Elizabeth 11 terminal, she can be seen from the main shopping centre in Southampton and close up from Mayflower Park. Can't wait to get on on Tuesday. As a QE2 fan, I must say I liked the look of her. It will be interesting to see the two of them together in Rotterdam. I may be overcome with nostalgia and want to change ships!

Must admit, I am not too keen on the horn.

Maureen

Glad it looks impressive in Southampton. Yesterday it looked very forlorn in the weather from the BBC webcam. That strange two-tone note on the whistle is quite odd. Jane

I don't think you should worry. I am a great fan of the QE2 having sailed on her many times and very sad that she will soon be leaving us. I didn't think I would like the QV when I went to look around yesterday but was won over as soon as I got aboard - absolutely beautiful! Life is not going to too bad after all!

Now that the Queen Victoria is docked, she looks better than the QM2 but does not have the graceful lines of the QE2.

Now I'm not going to say that QM2 is as beautiful as QE2, because she's not.

But she is so much better looking than the QV. Look at that wonderful long bow, the front of the ship, based on the Queen Mary herself, and a proper raked stern.

I don't really like the balconies in massive quantities, but this is inevitable these days. But she's an elegant ship.

Whatever qualities QV may or may not possess, good looks aren't one of them. I'll reserve judgement on the ship itself until I'm on board, but the look from outside, with that stubby nose (has someone punched her?) just doesn't work.

I'll keep an open mind until I see her on the open sea, and with QM2 herself, but in any beauty parade I cannot see how she can come anything other than a distant third when the QM2 and the QE2 are the other two.

She is good looking - for a Vista. But that's a different league from a genuine ocean liner.

Matthew

Now I'm not going to say that QM2 is as beautiful as QE2, because she's not.

But she is so much better looking than the QV. Look at that wonderful long bow, the front of the ship, based on the Queen Mary herself, and a proper raked stern.

I don't really like the balconies in massive quantities, but this is inevitable these days. But she's an elegant ship.

Whatever qualities QV may or may not possess, good looks aren't one of them. I'll reserve judgement on the ship itself until I'm on board, but the look from outside, with that stubby nose (has someone punched her?) just doesn't work.

I'll keep an open mind until I see her on the open sea, and with QM2 herself, but in any beauty parade I cannot see how she can come anything other than a distant third when the QM2 and the QE2 are the other two.

She is good looking - for a Vista. But that's a different league from a genuine ocean liner.

Matthew

I have to agree about the bow--it's too bad it wasn't lengthened so she looked a little bit like her sisters, Vista ship or no.

Just been browsing through the QV blogs and videos on here and sorry to say that she does not do a lot for me at all, (Horn Included!!)

I hope that all that are due to sail on her will really enjoy and prove me wrong. Looking forward to some reviews :)

Maybe it's because a lot of us still look at QE2 with such great affection and at the moment great sadness that she is leaving us next year.

Quite simply IMHO there is no comparison.

Jackie:)

I'm sure that many of the same sentiments were expressed back in 1969 when QE2 replaced the original Queens.

I'm sure that many of the same sentiments were expressed back in 1969 when QE2 replaced the original Queens.

Brian,

I can assure you that those sentiments definitely were expressed at the time. I know because, sadly, I'm old enough to remember. The thing that came in for the harshest criticism at the time was, of course, the funnel (although this was solved to some extent when she was re-engined). I can also remember looking at pictures of the "swinging 60's" style interior decor and wondering if I was the only one who thought that the King was unclothed. Apparently I wasn't though as there was plenty criticism of that as well.

Jimmy

Yes, I remember this well too. Not only was the funnel of QE2 the wrong shape but she only had one of them. I had to endure a few strong opinions from fellow passenger when I took my first QE2 cruise in her second year at sea. I thought she was wonderful.;)

It didn't take too long for QE2 to become accepted and so it will be with Queen Victoria I'm sure. I shall reserve opinion until I experience her.

K.

Yes, I remember this well too. Not only was the funnel of QE2 the wrong shape but she only had one of them. I had to endure a few strong opinions from fellow passenger when I took my first QE2 cruise in her second year at sea. I thought she was wonderful.;)

It didn't take too long for QE2 to become accepted and so it will be with Queen Victoria I'm sure. I shall reserve opinion until I experience her.

K.

Worst of all, the funnel was the wrong colour (mainly). What were cunard thinking of??:( :confused: Jane

I was on the shore when the QE2 left maiden voyage and I well remember the comments about the funnel!

Maureen

I was also there that day. We watched her from the IOW ferry. Miserable weather wasn't it? Was that really more than 38 years ago? :confused:

K.

I was also there that day. We watched her from the IOW ferry. Miserable weather wasn't it? Was that really more than 38 years ago? :confused:

K,

it was indeed 38 years ago. Just in case you need any help getting that into better perspective, here's a small comparative table that came into my possession only this morning:

Jimmy

1969 : Long hair

2007 : Longing for hair

1969 : Acid rock

2007 : Acid reflux

1969 : Moving to San Francisco because it's cool

2007 : Moving to San Francisco because it's warm

1969 : Trying to look like Liz Taylor

2007 : Trying NOT to look like Liz Taylor

1969 : Seeds and Stems

2007 : Roughage

1969 : Going to a new, hip joint

2007 : Receiving a new hip joint

1969 : Rolling Stones

2007 : Kidney Stones

1969 : Passing the driving test

2007 : Passing the vision test

K,

it was indeed 38 years ago. Just in case you need any help getting that into better perspective, here's a small comparative table that came into my possession only this morning:

Jimmy

Thank you for this, Jimmy. it has cheered me up no end. Jane:( :(

I don't think you should worry. I am a great fan of the QE2 having sailed on her many times and very sad that she will soon be leaving us. I didn't think I would like the QV when I went to look around yesterday but was won over as soon as I got aboard - absolutely beautiful! Life is not going to too bad after all!

Where in gloucestershire are you?

Sharon

K,

Jimmy

That is so funny!:D

Sharon& Steve

K,

Jimmy

Sharon& Steve

K,

Jimmy

Sharon& Steve

Thank you for this, Jimmy. it has cheered me up no end. Jane:( :(

Actually Jane, it kind of depressed me!

Not that I remember 69 of course. Yeah. My parents...I mean my grandparents told me about it!

I wish.

Nah,

Although they say if you remember it, you weren't there!

Just last week a bunch of us were reminiscing about practicing getting under the desk and where we were/what we were doing when we heard the word about Kennedy.

Yep. I'm definitely getting older!

Do you think Dubai would buy me and restore me to my 60's shape?

Karie

I am really old.

I saw the ORIGINAL QM , and all the "beautiful people" driving up to her in their BIG cars, wearing full length real fur coats, and with huge travel trunks. then sweeping up the gangway followed by umpteen stewards carrying everything so that Madam had nothing but her handbag - her maid carrying Madam s jewel case!!!

On my first sea voyage ( three weeks in l954 Karachi to Liverpool ) apart from the first and last nights EVERY NIGHT was Formal, and Jim and I were at the Captains table every night. It was a Scots line ((Anchor Line ) and we had the parade of the haggis complete with piper not the baked alaska!

By the way for the poster from Gloucester, my three memories are Stroud, Dursley, Barnwood and Innsworth. Yes I was a WAAF. for those whose memories go back that far.

K,

Jimmy

Thanks for that Cruachan, that's funny.:D

The real benefit for us of course is that we had the chance to cruise on ships that are long gone. I'm pleased I started as soon as I began drawing a salary.

K.

Archived