5 year old and 12 year old dining together

Hope2havefun

Does anyone know whether my two boys will be able to eat together when RCI kids club take them for dinner? They will be in two different groups for the activities but know that the younger one will be much more likely to dine without us if his big brother is with him.

Thanks

Cruise lines, for obvious reasons, don't allow mixing of ages in the kid's activities. And since there's such a large age difference for your children, in terms of the kid's club, unless they combine the groups for dinner, they won't allow them to be together.

It might depend on how many kids are going to dinner. When we were on our last cruise, there weren't very many kids on board. My daughter signed up for one of the kids' dinners, and all the kids ate together since there was a small number signed up for that dinner.

Every child is different but our experiece with the younger on on the cruise is that when you drop them off and leave there will be some tears the first day but after just a few hours they will be quite happy and over the course of the cruise there will be less to no tears and lots of fun with the kids. It's a nice experience for the children. Our children a quite a bit older now, but this was one they looked forward to year after year on our annual cruises with them.

Keith

On every cruise I have taken- the youth program is open on embarkation day... with parental supervision. This is great way for your child to try out the program with Mom present. In my case, there was a nice little girl there from HongKong. She and my son played together and they were immediate friends. As a consequence I became pals with the Mom. So both kids were dying to go to the youth program the following day.

Your child will be fine.

Why don't you consider having dinner together as a family? My boys LOVE eating in the dining room and they've tried all sorts of interesting foods because of cruising. You could even eat together in the casual restaurant if you don't want to do the dining room thing.

When we're home our lives are so busy that we really appreciate having a nice dinner together. On a cruise we get to do it every night!

We love eating with our daughter in the dining room. But we also love having one night on the cruise where just the two of us eat together, kind of like a date! On the Enchantment we went to Chops, the upscale, surcharge dining room, one night. It was nice for us, plus we knew our daughter was in good hands eating with the kids' club.

To be honest we are only thinking about eating without them twice (max). We are on a 10 nighter and it would be nice to go to Chops once just the two of us, but its no big deal if we cant. We too, love eating together as a family as we only manage it on a Sunday at home!!

I did a Meditteranean cruise with my parents this summer (12 nights). My son ate dinner with us only on the first night. The other 11 he wanted to eat with the kids. This worked out well because my parents enjoy long leisurely dinners with courses and bottles of wine. He would have been bored.

For me, as a single parent, cruising is really a great vacation. My son is always happy- not being shoved into the youth program. He loves the youth program and begs to go. So, my parents didn't really see him the whole trip but they understood that his Mom was really getting a vacation.

So, every family is different and if you kids enjoy going night after night to the diningroom- then that's great. If they are going to be antsy and just want to be with their friends- then that's another story. One idea, is to take the kids to dinner and let them leave when they are finished their meals. Then you and hubby can have some quiet time- over dessert.

Archived